“Great, affordable place to stay”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
“Great, affordable place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

We have never been to Michigan City so decided to spend the weeked here. The staff were extremely helpful, Molly and Andrew. Molly helped us with suggestions of where to eat when I asked her for her recommendation. Had lunch at Lindo's and it was realy delicious food! Andrew later called us to check that everything was OK! We did not want an expensive hotel, so this was exactly what we were lookng for, comfortable, clean rooms and wonderful staff. The breakfast was good too, choice of yoghurt, oatmeal porridge, biscuits and gravy, waffles, muffins etc.... Would stay there again!

Room Tip: We always like the top floor (third)- no stomping above us :)
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elsabe13
Roger S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Thank you so much for the great comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Country Inn & Suites Michigan City. We are looking forward to seeing you and your friends again in the future.

219-879-3600

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights at this hotel. It has exactly what you want and expect from this price point . The room was clean, water was hot, ample parking, safe, fast free Internet and better than expected breakfast. Two treadmills in workout room handled an hour run and there is a flat screen in front of the machines.
Patrick at front desk was polite and very helpful. Was leaving hour before scheduled breakfast time and he accommodated me. Big help, thank you Patrick!

• Stayed March 2013
Roger S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thank you so much for the great comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Country Inn & Suites Michigan City, Indiana. We are looking forward to seeing you and your friends again in the future.

Lorain, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

I was not impressed with the room since it was just average, but I imagine because of the last minute priceline reservation we didn't get one of the suites. It was clean and comfortable and the staff was very pleasant. It wasn't hard to find and there were plenty of restaurants near by. There we to-go bags with fruit and water at the checkout desk for those who missed breakfast. There were cookies available as well. We didn't use any of the exercise or pool/hot tub facilities. It was a quick and adequate overnight visit.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
countryinn1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very happy that you had a good experience overall. Our team appreciates all of the reviews we receive, and we hope that we can accommodate you again.

Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

Well, as the title says my stay at this property could of been better.

I drive a truck and spend many nights in a hotel over the year, most in Country Inns. My usual Country Inn in the area is in Merrillville but I wanted something closer to Detroit as that was my destination the next morning.

I arrived late in the evening to find an almost empty parking lot. After parking my truck I walked inside and met with the front desk clerk. After greeting her and giving her my name I asked if the property offered any discount for business stays or for drivers.. Now I do not expect to receive any sort of discount, but I always to when I ask and some hotels, like the Country Inn in Merrillville IN, put your name and business in their database so they can offer lower than rack rate the next time you visit. As a driver this makes me feel like they want my repeat business and I am certainly more willing to do exactly that. Anyways the desk clerk looked at me puzzled like why you are asking this, said no and quickly gave me the contract to sign and the key.

Since that I spend so many nights at Country Inns across the country, I am a concierge member of Club Carlson. A benefit of Club Carlson is complimentary room upgrades depending on availability. With an almost empty parking lot I should of been upgraded and I was not. The room I was assigned was acceptable but still small and not special, your basic king room. I found a used dirty plastic fork on the seat of the chair under the desk and the room was starting to show its age as there was a small amount of rust on the door frame in the bathroom.

The room was quiet and the bed comfortable and I did sleep well on it during the night. That was about the only good thing I can say about the room. In the bathroom I found towels that were harsh and uncomfortable to use but otherwise no other complaints.

The breakfast was your normal Country Inn fare; eggs, bacon, assorted fruit and waffles.

Overall I don't believe I will want to visit this property again unless they decide they want to win over and want my business. I feel the value for a stay at this property should not be over $80 but they were charging a rack rate of $103. I don't believe this to be a good value for the size of the room.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
countryinn1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed front desk staff issue with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Milford, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

We stopped after driving from northern Wisconsin. The outside just looked inviting. It was very clean and the staff very friendly. The room was comfortable and the bed cozy. My husband liked the cookies offered in the lobby. They had a very nice breakfast. Too bad we didn't bring our bathing suits. Pool looked very nice. Glad we stopped. Will definitely stay at Country Inn & Suites again in our travels. The price was better than we expected.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
countryinn1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

Country Inn and Suites Michigan City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night after a day shopping. ( Two adults) We wanted something with a pool and hot tub. We used the hot tub...was fantastic..nothing over and beyond what a normal hotel offers but was relaxing and exactly what was expected. The pool area was clean and had towels. The pool and hot tub are right next to each other. The room itself was clean and the bed was comfortable..I have back problems and didn't wake up any worse than at home. I did notice the room we had (right next to the pool and exercise room) which I loved..did seem to have some noise from others flushing toilets and showers. We did get ice and used the mini fridge..no problems but the little freezer is just that!! As far as the hotel staff the front desk workers were fantastic..we did ask to see a room before we stayed and were shown one.. There were other people coming in at the same time and they were gonna make them wait while they took us to a room..but we were in no hurry and let the others check in..after a few hrs we asked where we could get delivery..the front desk clerk was very honest and gave his opinions thankfully told us the one place was sketchy on health practices.. check out was quick and easy and they were also friendly. Im not sure how breakfast was..I would definitely stay here again and for price would recommend it..mircotel is right next door but didn't check it out.

• Stayed February 2013
countryinn1, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 28 February 2013

Lindsay Wray
Front Desk Manager
Country Inn and Suites Michigan City
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

We stopped here for one night. There was a terrible snow storm blowing off the lake, and I had 'reward points. From the minute I arrived I knew I had made the right decision. The hotel smelled clean and fresh. The lobby was bright and welcoming, and the young man who checked us in was pleasant and helpful. A nice difference from most CInns, was the elevator! The stairs were easliy accessible, the pool was warm and a good size.
We had a 'suite' so the King bed had a door to close it off from the sitting area. The bathroom was large and clean. There were 2 flatscreen TVs. The bed was comfy, the towels were soft and the temperature was easily controlled. We had a fridge and microwave as well. We ordered pizza from Papa Johns and it arrived quickly. The fridge helped with the leftovers, and the sitting area meant the bedroom did not smell like pizza all night.
The breakfast was adequate. It was basic hotel fare, nothing special.
We will definitely stay again if we pass through.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
countryinn1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 5 January 2013

Also consider these accommodations in or near Michigan City
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#9 of 16 in Michigan City
Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City? Share your experiences!