“great hotel but expensive” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Urbana, IL
“great hotel but expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

This hotel was very pleasant and conveniently located. The rooms were large and comfortable and quite clean. It had a nice swimming pool, plus a refrigerator and microwave in our room. The front desk person was friendly and helpful. However, this price was a bit steep: $126 with tax (it was Friday of Memorial Day weekend, so perhaps that's why it was so expensive). The walls were also very thin and you could hear other people easily. Also, there were a couple strands of hair in my bathroom that weren't mine. Would probably stay here again, though.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
countryinn1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you so much for the great comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Country Inn & Suites Michigan City. We are looking forward to seeing you and your friends again in the future.

219-879-3600

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Croswell, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed here on a Friday and Saturday nights. We had a King Suite. The bed was very comfortable but the couch wasn't even that comfortable to sit on let alone sleep on. We needed the couch for a sofa bed but she just slept on the couch instead of making it a bed because of discomfort. Room was ok. A bit outdated for clean. The pool and hot tub felt wonderful. The free breakfast was very good. Waffles, sausage and biscuits, fresh fruit, yogart, oatmeal, etc. I would stay here again but not plan on using the sofa bed couch as a bed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Roger S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel. I am sorry you were not thrilled with everything. Our team appreciates all of the reviews we receive, and we hope that we can accommodate you again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

Staff makes the difference, they are wonderful at making you feel welcome when on the road, close to the freeway, close to shopping and dining. Clean and quiet. Simply awesome, the breakfast is great and if you are in a hurry the have a breakfast to go ready for you. They truly care about taking care of their guests here and are great at what they do.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Sag45877
Roger S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 14 April 2013

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

We have never been to Michigan City so decided to spend the weeked here. The staff were extremely helpful, Molly and Andrew. Molly helped us with suggestions of where to eat when I asked her for her recommendation. Had lunch at Lindo's and it was realy delicious food! Andrew later called us to check that everything was OK! We did not want an expensive hotel, so this was exactly what we were lookng for, comfortable, clean rooms and wonderful staff. The breakfast was good too, choice of yoghurt, oatmeal porridge, biscuits and gravy, waffles, muffins etc.... Would stay there again!

Room Tip: We always like the top floor (third)- no stomping above us :)
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elsabe13
Roger S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 3 April 2013

Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights at this hotel. It has exactly what you want and expect from this price point . The room was clean, water was hot, ample parking, safe, fast free Internet and better than expected breakfast. Two treadmills in workout room handled an hour run and there is a flat screen in front of the machines.
Patrick at front desk was polite and very helpful. Was leaving hour before scheduled breakfast time and he accommodated me. Big help, thank you Patrick!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Roger S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thank you so much for the great comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Country Inn & Suites Michigan City, Indiana. We are looking forward to seeing you and your friends again in the future.

Lorain, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

I was not impressed with the room since it was just average, but I imagine because of the last minute priceline reservation we didn't get one of the suites. It was clean and comfortable and the staff was very pleasant. It wasn't hard to find and there were plenty of restaurants near by. There we to-go bags with fruit and water at the checkout desk for those who missed breakfast. There were cookies available as well. We didn't use any of the exercise or pool/hot tub facilities. It was a quick and adequate overnight visit.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
countryinn1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very happy that you had a good experience overall. Our team appreciates all of the reviews we receive, and we hope that we can accommodate you again.

Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

Well, as the title says my stay at this property could of been better.

I drive a truck and spend many nights in a hotel over the year, most in Country Inns. My usual Country Inn in the area is in Merrillville but I wanted something closer to Detroit as that was my destination the next morning.

I arrived late in the evening to find an almost empty parking lot. After parking my truck I walked inside and met with the front desk clerk. After greeting her and giving her my name I asked if the property offered any discount for business stays or for drivers.. Now I do not expect to receive any sort of discount, but I always to when I ask and some hotels, like the Country Inn in Merrillville IN, put your name and business in their database so they can offer lower than rack rate the next time you visit. As a driver this makes me feel like they want my repeat business and I am certainly more willing to do exactly that. Anyways the desk clerk looked at me puzzled like why you are asking this, said no and quickly gave me the contract to sign and the key.

Since that I spend so many nights at Country Inns across the country, I am a concierge member of Club Carlson. A benefit of Club Carlson is complimentary room upgrades depending on availability. With an almost empty parking lot I should of been upgraded and I was not. The room I was assigned was acceptable but still small and not special, your basic king room. I found a used dirty plastic fork on the seat of the chair under the desk and the room was starting to show its age as there was a small amount of rust on the door frame in the bathroom.

The room was quiet and the bed comfortable and I did sleep well on it during the night. That was about the only good thing I can say about the room. In the bathroom I found towels that were harsh and uncomfortable to use but otherwise no other complaints.

The breakfast was your normal Country Inn fare; eggs, bacon, assorted fruit and waffles.

Overall I don't believe I will want to visit this property again unless they decide they want to win over and want my business. I feel the value for a stay at this property should not be over $80 but they were charging a rack rate of $103. I don't believe this to be a good value for the size of the room.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
countryinn1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed front desk staff issue with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Michigan City
Quality Inn
#9 of 16 in Michigan City
Baymont Inn & Suites Michigan City
Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City? Share your experiences!