“Mold!”

Clarion Inn Michigan City
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I recently stayed here visiting family while I was in town from arizona. I noticed the wallpaper peeling by a window so got closer to investigate and noticed green and black mold. The more I looked the more I found wallpaper peeling and mold all over. I soon decided one night was all and stayed with my family untill I departed. If your health concerns you stay away couldn't imagine what it would do ti children or the elderly!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank 46,350
Clarion Inn S, General Manager at Clarion Inn Michigan City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

We are sorry to hear this was your experience with our property. Please contact me directly so that I may investigate this situation further tstewartclarion@gmail.com

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed here 5 days. Room little outdated but it was very clean. Staff very friendly. Nice pool area. The complimentary breakfast was not very good. The eggs, meat & pancakes or French toast sticks were cold & one morning they were rock hard & uneatable. We did not go into the restaurant or bar. We had an inside room, but the outside doors were open all night long. We thought after 9pm they should have been locked.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Clarion Inn S, General Manager at Clarion Inn Michigan City, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad you were able to enjoy the customer service and cleanliness of our rooms. I am delighted to tell you that we will be updating the older rooms and will begin with new bedding that is on the way. We are currently reviewing different breakfast items and better ways to keep it hot and fresh. We will also begin offering room service breakfast soon as another option. I hope you will have the opportunity to stay with us again in the future and see the many changes we have in store!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I don't leave a lot of reviews, although I read them quite often, but after the experience I have had here I felt the need to share our experience as a warning to those looking for a place to relax, rest and have some privacy. I will say that the front desk person that checked us in was friendly and check in went smoothly. We arrive in our room and notice that it is kind of run down. Wall paper peeling, popcorn ceiling cracked and peeling in several places, water stains on the wall, disgustingly dirty light switch, towel rack that looked like it could come out of the wall at anytime, claustrophobic bathroom etc. We were willing to overlook it all as we knew we really weren't going to be in the room much other than to shower and sleep (or at least we thought we would get to do those things). What little time we did spend in the room between shopping and going out all we could hear were people running and stomping loudly above us and people outside. We decided that hopefully by the time we came back to the room after the casino they would be asleep. We finally return to our room around 3 a.m. and get ready to go to bed just to discover that there is only a partial curtain panel (about 1 ft. wide) that did not shut and sheer see through curtains on the floor to ceiling (about 4 ft.wide as seen in my photos) window in room. We could see straight outside to the cars parked in front of our door and anyone walking by could see into our room. So, at 7:30 in the morning there we were wide awake due to all the people walking and standing outside our door talking and people loading up to leave. What was even more disturbing was the fact that we could see them and that they could clearly see us while we were laying in bed trying to sleep. We then decided to just shower and leave but when we tried to shower we had no hot water. At check I let the front desk know about our experience with our room and that it is completely inappropriate and lacked any kind of privacy not having anything but sheers that people could see through. She in turn became extremely short with me and said that they must have been having the curtain cleaned and offered no apology. If that was the case why was another one not hung? Why would you book the room if it was not ready for guests? And why would you not try to at least try to apologize for the many inconveniences of the guests stay? I can deal with slightly run down, but no privacy even in your own room, paper thin walls and ceilings, and no hot water cross the line. This was no $30 motel that you would expect that kind of thing in but it was supposed to be a decently nice hotel. Very disappointed and will not be staying here again. Will definitely pay the 20-25 dollar difference and go back to the Country Inn or the Microtel there in town anytime over this.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 121 if you want to get any sleep at all or have any privacy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Clarion Inn S, General Manager at Clarion Inn Michigan City, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our property. I apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. Upon inspection of the room, there is a blackout privacy blind that was behind the sheer and the curtain. Those are decorative curtains and are not meant to close. We are currently re-training our departments so situations like this can be avoided. I've also contacted you via Choice Hotels guest complaint department. Customer satisfaction is of paramount importance and I appreciate your feedback so that we can better accommodate our guests. Thank you

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Nice, friendly hotel.
Stayed in a suite, the room was very nice - well equiped and in good condition.

Staff were great, very friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome. Really liked the bar and restaurant as well, great Burgers!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We wondered at first, arriving without a reservation, when the clerk struggled on her computer to check us in. But the manager intervened, and we were soon fine. A well-furnished, well-maintained facility in a convenient location. The hot breakfast buffet was fine, and the Texas Corral across the street provided a good dinner option.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
GenManager5820, General Manager at Clarion Inn Michigan City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thank you for taking time to review the Clarion Inn. We appreciate you choosing the Clarion and look forward to accommodating you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

So, yesterday afternoon, I checked into the Clarion, knowing full well that I needed a late check out as a result of a bike race I was in the next day. At first, Stacey and Heavenly (the front desk clerks) said there was no way I could get the late check out. I expressed my dissatisfaction, and mentioned that I would probably not be able to complete the race I was registered for, but took the room, anyway. I freshened up in the room, and made my way through the front lobby to go for dinner. On my way past the front desk, Stacey stopped me and told me she called the hotel manager at home to ask about the late check out. It was granted by the manager. I was amazed, flabbergasted, thrilled and every other positive emotion you can think up. She went above and beyond the norm to make sure that there was a happy hotel customer.

I will be back to the Clarion Inn in Michigan City, and I encourage you to stay there, too.

Room Tip: Stayed near the pool. probably not the best place if you like to go to sleep before 10:00 p.m.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Clarion Inn. We will always do our best to accommodate any guest request. We are glad you had a good stay and hope you enjoyed the race you were in town for.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

First stop on our cross-country trip (no reservation in advance) with a cat; beds have platforms, so good in keeping pets from hiding underneath. Restaurant attached to the hotel was tasty (get the house special burger--it was EXCELLENT) and offers a discount to guests, but you have to tell them you're staying there. One star deducted because our A/C unit had a cricket living inside of it (but thankfully it slept while we did). The hot tub was amazing, in a nice indoor courtyard of the hotel. Very well kept, but open until just 10 pm. Free breakfast in the morning was excellent, and the hotel desk will fill your cooler with ice for you when you leave to hit the road. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms facing outdoors had ambient road noise/possible crickets; indoor rooms facing the pool area wi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank knxvil

Thank you for taking time to review the Clarion Inn. We are always happy to hear about exceeding our guests expectations. We are happy to accommodate guests traveling with pets. Crawford's Pub is a great amenity and we are glad you enjoyed their delicious Crawford's burger.