“What you see online is not what you get.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
detroit
“What you see online is not what you get.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Positives - room was clean, smelled fresh, TV was nice, air-conditioning worked perfectly, staff was pleasant, free breakfast was ok (but very small area for guests to eat.) Would I stay at this particular location again? Probably not, due to these concerns. In every picture posted, here and on the actual Comfort Inn website, it shows a small refrigerator and microwave in the 2 queen bed room. The description of the amenities state "... refrigerator and microwave available." However, the 2 queen bed we were given had no refrigerator and microwave and none was made "available" to us. There was plenty of room for one so that couldn't have been the reason. One of the main reasons we booked this room was because of the refrigerator and microwave as seen in the photos and as described in the amenities, so, that is misleading advertising and you should definitely correct that. We had to be in Michigan City for over a week, a fridge and microwave would've definitely come in handy. Second concern is: in what world does a two story name-brand hotel *not* have an elevator? I have traveled extensively, I have never been in any multi-story hotel without an elevator, whether it is a 2 story or 11 story. Again, had we known this hotel didn't have an elevator, we would've never booked a room there. Third concern: the toilet in our room didn't flush well at all. Usually took 2 or 3 flushes just to work (..and this was a small amount of paper and after a No. 1 use.) It was a tiny toilet, like child size, and for multiple use by many people, you should probably upgrade to toilets that are more adult-user-friendly. Last concern: guest laundry was stated to be available - another reason we booked this hotel - however the dryer was "out of order." The desk clerk told us upon check in that "...it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, sometimes it takes the coins and sometimes it won't. We've called for service but they never come out." I'm sorry but this is unacceptable. If you advertise you have guest laundry, you have to make sure it works. You can't tell me there isn't a repair service somewhere near Michigan City that wouldn't like to make that service call. If you've called one, and they don't show, call another, or another, but get it fixed. I feel these concerns are valid because a guest will book a hotel based on what's shown in the photos, what it says on your website or a place like TripAdvisor and the like. False advertising is not cool and I shouldn't have to call ahead to double-check that what I'm reserving is what I get, but I will from now on because these concerns were deal breakers for us. We had just driven from another Comfort Inn in Grand Rapids, MI, and it had the fridge, microwave, elevators and a working guest laundry...as indicated in photos and amenities listed....and interestingly enough, it was $35 dollars a night cheaper, go figure.

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure the amenities you want are exactly what you'll get, especially if you bo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lilyofthevalley4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Avon, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

I didn't even make it to the hotel because the man I spoke to on the phone was extremely rude and arrogant. Doesn't customer service mean anything to anyone??? I didn't catch the guys name but I wish I had because I would be calling and complaining to his supervisors. Totally turned me off and would never stay here.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Michigan City hotels

Logansport, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and I as well as my niece and two nephews came up to Michigan City for a weekend at the beach. We had a suite and it was very large and also clean. The pool is a bit small but was fine for us and also clean. The breakfast is basic but served our purpose and had a waffle iron. Staff were friendly! I couldn't find anything bad to say. We also have stayed at many Comfort Inn/Suites as we just traveled to Florida and back with three kids and always found a nice stay!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Bourbonnais
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

Other than the room being on the small side (single queen), there was nothing wrong with this hotel at all. Perhaps it's been updated since the poor reviews--I noticed most bad reviews were either long ago or mentioned silly things like no towels at the pool or the only egg option hard boiled (did they expect omelets made to order?).

The room was very clean and comfortable, continental breakfast was plentiful (waffles, pastries/bagels, cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, coffee, juice).

The sink, separate from the toilet and shower, was right when you walked in the door, which is odd, but perhaps the only place to put it with the small design of the room.

Service was fine, too,

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Connie R
Beattyville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Spent the night here on the return trip home from a journey to Illinois. Redeemed a free Choice Privileges night and was treated just like a paying guest.

My room was spotlessly clean, with a microwave and fridge, comfortable bed and great wifi. The shower's water pressure, however, was a trickle and not adequate at all for my liking. This seems to be a common problem with most motels/hotels where I've stayed. The location was easy to find off US 421 at I-94 and there are plenty of shopping and dining options nearby.

One disappointment was the lack of a hot breakfast, such as most Comfort Inns offer. There was no meat item available, just waffles and continental breakfast items.

Anyone needing to stay in Michigan City should definitely consider this facility.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Central Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We did not have reservations, but needed to stop for an overnight in MI City, IN. Stopping in the parking lot of a nearby property, we used our GPS to find phone numbers for several hotels in sight; we called each, and chose this one, because it had the best price. We found Comfort Inn to be neat, clean, and comfortable, and we always appreciate having two areas for bath and sink options. Carpet was updated and clean. Although we did not need them, the room provided a microwave and small refrigerator. The pool was inviting, but we did not use it. Breakfast was included; the basics were adequate. Our room faced east (#111); there was more than enough noise from truck traffic on the main street which did interfere with sleep for me, but my husband never heard a thing! (Perhaps there are rooms located away from the street noise.) The front desk hostess was very personable and helpful. We would stay again, if we could get a quieter room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is away from street noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bosanchubo
Forest Park, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

I had a horrible experience when I stayed at this hotel. I got to this place about 9pm and was traveling w/ my 4 children alone, so when we got checked in we were all ready to crash... but we were disturbed by the horrible smell of marijuana coming from the hallway. I go to the front desk to complain and they assured me they would take care of it. Their idea of taking care of it was shutting the door in the hallway that led to the front lobby, which did nothing but trap the smell in the hallway. Let me also add, my 3 year old daughter has severe asthma, I notified the ladies at the front about this as well. They didn't care! The front desk staff were very rude all the way around.
The sheets and blankets were itchy and thin. The water in the pool was freezing and there were absolutely no pool towels.
Hated it and will never stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family