“A Bit Better Than Expected, But....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Holland, Michigan
“A Bit Better Than Expected, But....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

Let me say right up front, don't be put off by this 1 star rating - at least to a point. This is a wonderfully run and kept hotel, in a convenient but quiet location near I-94. The room I stayed in was spotless as were all areas I observed. From that stand point the hotel deserves at least 4 stars. But what kills the happy story here is the size of the place. My room was certainly the tiniest hotel room I have ever seen (outside of those casket size ones in Tokyo). the vanty/lav area was at the front door in the entry way. No room to sit at the mirror and open the entry door at the same time. the toilet/tub was in a room so small, a plus sized guest could not go in and shut the door without standing in the tub to do it! The room itself was just big enough for a queen bed and desk - that's all. One other surprise, a pleasant one; the room featured a microwave, minifridge, coffeemaker, hairdryer, and laundry service, all amenities one would not expect from a one star hotel - and again that's my point; this place tries hard and would have a 3 1/2 star rating - no doubt ....but why so ridiculously small? With that said; I would recomend the Comfort Inn, Michigan City to the solo traveler, not recomend it as a romantic get away, and WARN families - this is just not designed for you.

Room Tip: Even # rooms are very small. Some larger rooms may be available accross hall and on corner areas...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Have stayed at this hotel several times. it is consistent, decent quality for a short-stay business traveller. good internet connection with decent speed and pretty good signal coverage in different areas of the hotel. breakfast is OK, but a small-ish area to eat. If there are 5-6 people or groups eating then the area can be pretty full.
Great freeway access and some decent shopping and eating places nearby. Plenty of parking in the front of the building and plenty of room for larger trucks.
Have noticed a couple of times that they need to keep on top of cleanliness a bit better. This is both for rooms and for the 'common' areas including the breakfast eating space. In the breakfast space this is mainly keeping up with emptying of the trash containers.
Another bad practice is announcing my name and room number at check in while another patron is standing nearby. the check in area is rather small and the clerk said both my name and room number loud enough that the other person in the area could hear it clearly. This is not a huge concern for me as a male, but this is something that women travellers have mentioned as a problem. If the other person standing there had ill intent they would know the name and location where they were spending the night.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Spring Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

We had a late flight from Arizona and stopped en=route to our home to spend the night. Great service at front desk and then we found a very clean hotel hallway as well as a very clean room. Everything in the room seemed new and we got a very restful nights sleep. Excellent breakfast the next morning before we headed out on the highway home.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Nashville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Comfort Inn. The lobby and halls were clean. Amelia was very helpful when she checked us in. And, the entire staff was very friendly and helpful, including the second and third shift attendants.
The room was very clean, and the bed was great. The breakfast was good. I was surprised they even served breakfast because the hotel was a lot less than half full on a Sunday night. They had boiled eggs, and the usual continental breakfast items. And my favorite, they had a waffle iron with a choice of blueberry or regular waffles.
The flat screen television was very nice with a great selection of channels. The wireless connection worked very well also. I missed not having a refrigerator in my room, but they let me know this when I booked the room. So, I got everything I expected.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Champaign, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

I would not rate this hotel as poor, but average is pushing it. The room smelled fresh, seemed to be clean and adequate. It was a smaller than average room. Breakfast was ok, I have had better even at other Comfort Inn locations. The pool was small, but it was warm - so that was nice.

This hotel has NO ELEVATOR. If you are staying for more than one night or travel heavy - keep this in mind. I have never been to a hotel before without an elevator. This is not an issue if you only have a small bag.

The pictures on the hotel website I think are accurate, however you need to make sure the picture that you are viewing matches the room you request.

In short - look around, you can probably do better.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

Rooms - small, musty-smelling, not very clean. Gave me a migraine - usually these are triggered by the presence of mold.

Lobby - very small, and this is where the complimentary breakfast is served. Good thing there are several restaurants close by - no room, poor food quality, dirty

Staff - not very friendly and borderline rude

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DMZ1970

Travellers are raving about these Michigan City hotels

detroit
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Positives - room was clean, smelled fresh, TV was nice, air-conditioning worked perfectly, staff was pleasant, free breakfast was ok (but very small area for guests to eat.) Would I stay at this particular location again? Probably not, due to these concerns. In every picture posted, here and on the actual Comfort Inn website, it shows a small refrigerator and microwave in the 2 queen bed room. The description of the amenities state "... refrigerator and microwave available." However, the 2 queen bed we were given had no refrigerator and microwave and none was made "available" to us. There was plenty of room for one so that couldn't have been the reason. One of the main reasons we booked this room was because of the refrigerator and microwave as seen in the photos and as described in the amenities, so, that is misleading advertising and you should definitely correct that. We had to be in Michigan City for over a week, a fridge and microwave would've definitely come in handy. Second concern is: in what world does a two story name-brand hotel *not* have an elevator? I have traveled extensively, I have never been in any multi-story hotel without an elevator, whether it is a 2 story or 11 story. Again, had we known this hotel didn't have an elevator, we would've never booked a room there. Third concern: the toilet in our room didn't flush well at all. Usually took 2 or 3 flushes just to work (..and this was a small amount of paper and after a No. 1 use.) It was a tiny toilet, like child size, and for multiple use by many people, you should probably upgrade to toilets that are more adult-user-friendly. Last concern: guest laundry was stated to be available - another reason we booked this hotel - however the dryer was "out of order." The desk clerk told us upon check in that "...it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, sometimes it takes the coins and sometimes it won't. We've called for service but they never come out." I'm sorry but this is unacceptable. If you advertise you have guest laundry, you have to make sure it works. You can't tell me there isn't a repair service somewhere near Michigan City that wouldn't like to make that service call. If you've called one, and they don't show, call another, or another, but get it fixed. I feel these concerns are valid because a guest will book a hotel based on what's shown in the photos, what it says on your website or a place like TripAdvisor and the like. False advertising is not cool and I shouldn't have to call ahead to double-check that what I'm reserving is what I get, but I will from now on because these concerns were deal breakers for us. We had just driven from another Comfort Inn in Grand Rapids, MI, and it had the fridge, microwave, elevators and a working guest laundry...as indicated in photos and amenities listed....and interestingly enough, it was $35 dollars a night cheaper, go figure.

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure the amenities you want are exactly what you'll get, especially if you bo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family