“"The Pretty Place" it is, but is also BETTER THERAPY than a "shrink!"”

and 1 more site!
That Pretty Place Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 11 Middlebury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 October 2009

My first experience of the Shipshewanna area was with seven ladies from our Red Hat group. The entire stay in the area was definitely "just what the doctor ordered" for me. Our Red Hat group's travel coordinator had been to the area previously, but most of us were experiencing the area for the first time. WONDERFUL!!

I had just lost my dear sweet 50 year old sister-in-law to cancer so I REALLY needed my friends and a safe, beautiful place to regroup and take stock of life. "The Pretty Place" filled the bill to a T, and during our two day stay in the area we met so many wonderful people. I was so impressed with their friendliness, with Dave and Debbie's wonderful hospitality, and the beauty of the entire area. We had a truly relaxing time, having rented the entire main house for our little group, and the food was scrumptious! You could not have asked for better hosts than Dave and Debbie! They were attentive to everyone's needs, but were not overbearing even though we were in the same building as their residence.

Needing to spend some alone time, and not sleeping well for several reasons, I spent a portion of the night in the gorgeous lower level common living area going to bed long after everyone else had retired. The room was SOOO comfortable and quiet and the quilts were quite cozy. My sister-in-law had been a quilter and I had one of her lap quilts with me as a memorial to her. The quilts in the Pretty Place was as beautiful as hers and she had won many awards for her work, even after her passing!

After sleeping very comfortably for a few hours, I arose before dawn and took a walk around the grounds meditating and praying for the comfort I so desperately needed. I actually saw two deer who stood and just looked at me, I heard and saw many squirrels in the woods and having been hunting many times, could have had wild meat for breakfast had it been hunting season and I had had my rifle.... I sat on a huge boulder to meditate in the early morning drizzling misty rain feeling perfectly safe and undisturbed by other humans, even though the entire place was rented out! What a way to deal with grief!!

Then we had breakfast, met the other ladies who had rented the entire "cabin" for scrapbooking! Words cannot express how fabulous the food was, and Dave took us on a tour of the newer building even though the other ladies were still there! That's when I decided I would be returning! I also scrapbook and was in fact working on a project for my father's 80th surprise birthday party. I knew some of the ladies from our church would be interested in coming there to scrapbook as time and schedules will allow. You guessed it, they are interested but we have not yet been able to put it together with the holidays upon us so quickly. However, we will most likely put something together after the first of the year and I am so looking forward to seeing The Pretty Place in the winter time with snow covering all the beauty of God's creation there.

Now, I am returning this coming week to stay again at The Pretty Place as I have been quite stressed at work and need a breather! I have booked the same room as I stayed in before and since I will be alone I feel very safe and am anxiously looking forward to "my birthday gift" to me!! Once again, this will be "just what the doctor ordered" as a place I can unwind and relax. Who needs a shrink when The Pretty Place is just hours away from home!!! I am looking forward to seeing Dave and Debbie again and just know the food will be fantastic, the company encouraging, and the place right out of Heaven!!

God bless you Dave and Debbie! I'm looking forward to my second visit and would most definitely recommend The Pretty Place to anyone who seeks beauty, value, hospitality and safety.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 September 2009

Great place to stay and relax. Very quiet setting with great service.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Delightful managers, beautiful peaceful wooded grounds with walking trails, delicious full breakfast, two person whirlpool tub made this a wonderful getaway experience.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Three sisters and a mother stayed at THAT PRETTY PLACE. We traveled from Michigan and Central Indiana to spend time in Middlebury, Indiana. Even before we arrived, through correspondence from Debi (Debi and Dave are the Innkeepers) we knew this trip would be special. Our rooms were beautifully decorated, our beds very comfortable, the atmosphere was so relaxing and the breakfast in the morning was amazing - so delicious! This B & B is very quiet, nestled deep in the woods. It's truly a place to unwind and relax. Thanks, Dave and Debi. We have already made reservations to return next year.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2009

My best friend and I needed a girls get-a-away and wanted to go to the flea market in Shipshewana and after looking at several choices picked That Pretty Place Bed and Breakfast and what a great choice. The place was beautiful and peaceful and close to everything but yet secluded and private. Everyone was nice and helpful.The room was large and comfortable and breakfast was delicious. We will be back! Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2009

We traveled over 2.5 hours & upon arrival my hubby asked to use the restroom. Debi stated, "We don't have pubic restrooms." Our room wasn't available yet, but be real - we were paying guests, not just someone off the street. & she reflects as a Christian~but didn't have a restroom to accomadate an out of town guest. Yes, the grounds are beautiful! Dave was pleasant to talk with. Breakfast was good, not outstanding! Debi had her favorites to communicate with. This is one place that we won't be making reservations at again! Room was stuffy! If you sat in the great room you could hear people walking around upstairs. Awoke to Debi slamming cupboard doors in the kitchen. Not what we could call a "peaceful relaxing experience".

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Doreen V
Reviewed 26 August 2009

First day, staying in room inside house. Felt like being at home with family. Didn't have a DVD player, they found one and hooked it up. Sausage for breakfast, my spouse loves bacon. Told Debi and the next day for breakfast we had bacon, as much as she wanted. Moved to the Cabin the next day.. Quite and relaxing, had our own kitchen downstairs. Talking at breakfast with other guests both days. Had a in room massage for the 2 of us, and other B & B's offer that, but this was very affordable..

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlebury
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
#1 of 6 in Goshen
Solomon Mier Manor
Solomon Mier Manor
#1 of 2 in Ligonier

Been to That Pretty Place Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!