“Well, I'm not sure what to title this review”

SpringHill Suites South Bend Mishawaka
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Mishawaka
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I try to post my comments as fairly as possible, because even the worst experiences have something good in them. Such is the case here. It was my first time at this property and it will not attract me back. Other reviewers have posted issues with the decor, so I won't say more about that. However, other issues do merit your considerations. First, I would recommend staying only on the top floor. You can hear every thud of every footstep above you, and for us this was all day and all night. You can also hear your neighbor's phone conversation, so be careful, as they can hear yours. We suffered from no hot water both mornings we stayed at the property. I guess you have to get up "pretty early around here" to get some. We had issues trying to stay warm as well. The thermostat seemed to be working but it really wasn't. Our complaint yielded us an offer of a different room or a stack of blankets. We opted for the blankets as everything was unpacked and we didn't have time to repack and move. An engineering visit might have been a better solution. Our bathroom was not the cleanest, as we found hair in most places it shouldn't have been and would have been easy to spot and clean up. As far as breakfast goes, it's your standard moderate priced-hotel offering. On our visit to breakfast, they seemed to run out of decaf. Not sure how that happened with Meijer across the street, but they did. I can say there were enough hangers for two, the keys worked without issue and the hotel did not smell badly once you were away from the highly chlorinated pool. While our concerns were not well addressed, the front desk staff did comp one of our room nights. We would have rather had solutions than money, but we appreciated the gesture. Located in a retail area, which includes restaurants.

Room Tip: Top floor only.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank marqule

Reviewed 31 January 2012

We stayed here on a stop through the goshen area - we chose it based on the Tripadvisor rating. Now, maybe this hotel is the best of the area, but it is definitely not up to par with the newer hotels. I would say that next time I'm in the area, I'll keep driving to find something newer. I would rate it somewhere between a 2 1/2 star and a low 3. We were told the whole motel was smoke free, but our room stunk of smoke and had a cigarette burn on the sink. Definately not what I expected from the tripadvisor reviews.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank 2Hunnies
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Overall a wonderful place to stay. We Pricelined the rate and saved 38%. Nice exercise facilities, except no ventilation or fan. Great bed. Great free breakfast. A little off the interstate, but a nice variety of restaurants within walking distance. Friendly, helpful staff. The whole facility is non-smoking, a very big plus in my eyes. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank pmhb1
Reviewed 11 September 2011

The hotel is well located, easy access from main roads, near many restaurants, department stores and other services. The room is spacious, clean. The bed was perfect. Furniture include sofa, armchair, working chair, working desk, large flat TV, good quality wifi.
Front desk receptionists were polite and helpful. Better than common breakfast. Experienced troubles operating the air condition and did not to ask front desk. Sometimes the floor near the elevator was wet due to young pool users. Ample parking space. It was quiet in the weekend at a bargain price.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This was the perfect hotel for our family during Notre Dame move-in/orientation weekend for a number of reasons. First, it was nice to see so many ND families also there for move-in weekend. I enjoyed the friendly camaraderie with other happy/sad, excited/anxious parents who had traveled from all corners of the country for this event. Second, the hotel was conveniently located to all the stores we needed to do dorm shopping. We made multiple trips to Meijer, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. easily from our hotel. Third, the hotel is clean, our room was huge, and the staff was helpful and gracious. Staying at a comfortable, pleasant hotel helped to make our first college move-in experience less unnerving.

Room Tip: Book early for crowded Notre Dame events.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We had a king studio room...didn't get in until midnight...our room was reserved for us...huge room, lots of space, very clean...had some trouble with internet connection in the morning after our night there...did not make it up in time for breakfast, but got a good nights sleep without interruptions...would stay there again....

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2011

A small group of my wife's family and my family stayed at this hotel on Saturday, July 23. The hotel location is excellent- close to Notre Dame and tons of shopping just steps away.

The front desk staff went WAY above the call of duty to be accommodating to us. They provided us extra towels and extra linens for the air mattress that we brought. The check-in process was quick and easy, as well as check-out.

The hallways were bright and cheery, without any signs of wear and tear. It's obvious that this hotel has been well maintained. We had a King room with sofa bed and it was spotless and spacious. We had enough room to let two kids sleep on the sofa bed and one on the air mattress and still move around.

We slept like rocks in the uber-comfortable beds, and were ready to hit the ground running the next day. Beforehand we ate the complimentary breakfast. There was plenty to choose from and it was very, very good. I am almost embarrassed to think that how much we ate given the low rate we paid for the room.

The only suggestion I have for the hotel is to ventilate the pool area. It was a brutally hot July day outside and that definitely contributed to the stifling conditions at the indoor pool. The kids all wanted to swim, so I suffered it out. But, man oh man was it hot in there.

Overall, this hotel delivers on what travelers on a budget expect.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family