“Kelvin the manegment is a horrible man”

Extended Stay America - South Bend - Mishawaka - South
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Mishawaka
“Kelvin the manegment is a horrible man”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Floor is always dirty never wash room carpets . Clean every 7 days and it's bad service too. Kelvin really mistreated us and he admitted that ,he said he mistreated us because of our accent and People who had this accent mistreated him when he was in military !!!. We stayed about a month in a room 203 that smells and the fridge was leaking he didn't want to change the room and lied about room 204 he said its kingbed room unless I knew it has 2 beds. So finally we moved to room 204 after many other days. Unfortunately iam still in this hotel because of low budget receiving more mistreating iam here since July 10th and now the school bus come to pick my daughter from main st. In front of this hotel and it's another reason that I will stay here for the rest of my stay. Not forget to mintion that my little boy was frightened by a dog called Molly , he belong's to a guest here and after that Kevin called our room and insulted my husbend and said my boy shouldnt walk in front of us or run or any thing he has to be kept in my hand unless he calls the police. In the morning he lied and said it wasn't him . He is really mean .

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mona R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Upon check in, guests sign an agreement that they will be charged $250 for smoking in the hotel rooms. My room smelled of smoke so strongly that I thought I had accidentally be given a smoking room until I remembered the no smoking policy. I would actually like to be paid the $250 fee to use toward the cleaning of my items that are filled with a terrible cigarette smoke smell. The room was not clean and stains were found on all upholstered furniture. Our bathroom floor was sticky, and the blanket on the bed had obviously not been washed in months (tons of hair and stains). Avoid staying at this hotel. It is worth your money to spend a little more for a better room.

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Travelingteacher1231
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Hotel was pretty on the outsite and lobby wasnt bad. The hotel staff were awsome but the hall way and rooms need a massive update. I did not feel safe as there were several people who looked very shady. The whole hotel had an awful smell that almost made sick to my stomach. So overall it was ok but I would recommend find another hotel if possible.

• Stayed July 2013
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - South Bend - Mishawaka - South, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the condition of the hallways and public areas were not up to standard . I am working with my team to make improvements to the areas you have mentioned. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at SBM@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Ohio
Reviewed 22 June 2013

This hotel is an excellent stay for one night. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. It is basic but more than adequate. Not the level of the Courtyard next door; however, 50% of the price ($52 versus $110+)per night. Bring shampoo as it is not provided. Breakfast in the lobby is very basic (Grab and Leave) but full breakfasts are available nearby. The bed is very comfortable and the linens are more that adequate. My room, 306, was quiet as was the hallway. I only stayed 8 hours so I really didn't have much of a chance to review the entire hotel. If you have a chance to select a room, choose the odd numbers as they are on the opposite side to the highway and less noisy. Coffee in the lobby is good; not much of a choice but free. Easy to find and a decent neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank catfan19
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - South Bend - Mishawaka - South, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such terrific things about our service. I am proud of our team for taking care of your needs and glad to hear that you had a great stay overall.

Qingdao
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Indiana is not LA. It was 1st time for me to visit South Bend, Indiana & there was heavy downpour with strong winds.

It ain't fun driving at night in a rainstorm

not having someone at Extended Stay America hotel Mishawaka pick up the phone after 11 pm was highly irritating.

I could not call to check for directions

apparently, the hotel is some distance away from highway exit 77

also, there are two ESA hotels along the same road in MIshawaka, Indiana

Welfare Housing is but an understatement

I would just book a hotel by phone & not pay by credit card & just play by ear, in future

the room is same size as that in ESA hotel Carson, CA

as I mentioned, the room at ESA Gardena, CA along Vermont Ave is HALF that of other ESA hotels that I have stayed

I would only book ESA as a last resort & would not want to pay more than $40 per nite

Room Tip: when you book ESA Mishawaka, be aware that there are 2 ESA hotels along the same road in Mishawaka...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank maxus88
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. The situation you described regarding our failure to answer the phone after hours is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will double check our phones and the systems we have in place for after hour calls to make sure your experience is not repeated.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at rdawson@extendedstay.com. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I received a $10 discount off the price of my stay, via online and I used that discount towards my room stay. When I arrived at check in, I planned to pay cash at the discounted amount. There were two guest representatives by the counter, one leaving and one coming in for a shift. The representative that was just getting there told me that they had to charge me the full amount and I would receive a credit to my credit card for the discounted amount after my stay. Which normally can take 5- 7 business days depending on my credit card company. This would of been nice to know before hand, that I had to pay the full amount. I came expecting to pay the discounted amount and only had cash in hand for the discounted amount. Both reps told this is the process. So after my stay, I checked my bank account and I was charged twice in the amount of $10.00. From speaking with the bank representative. They charged me $10 and then refunded me $10. And then they charged me $10 again after the stay. I called once I seen my online banking account charges and spoke to a nice guy who said they would refund apologized for the inconvenience. The day after, My bank charged me an over draft fee because of the two charges. So I called and spoke with a representative by the name of melody who was kind of rude and insisted they only charged me once. I didn't want to argue about it, because I know what I seen in my bank account. She transferred me over to her manager who stated the same thing, I was only charged once. I had a bank representative to call the manager to tell her that I was charged twice. And I was refunded for one charge the next day. Altogether after going back and forth I was able to get the charges taken care of, but I feel the management was sort of rude and defensive. I do know I called back again to speak with the manager, and Melody stated she was not in. This was 15 minutes after I just finished speaking with her. So Melody took a message and told me she would have her supervisor call me back. I want to say her name was Sara. Well she never returned my phone call to at least apologize and say that they took care of the charges.

Room Tip: Make sure you are aware of the billing process, when a discount is being used.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denict
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - South Bend - Mishawaka - South, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. The situation you described regarding the confusion with using an online promotional discount at our hotel as well as the subsequent issues with my staff members as a result, is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. These promotions are applied upon check-out because they are subject to length of stay restrictions that can occasionally increase or decrease their value. That being said, we should have handled your situation a little bit better and will be working to improve our handling of these issues in the future.

Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will train our staff members to make sure your experience is not repeated. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at rdawson@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
New Berlin, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This has to be the loudest hotel I've ever stayed at. We got in late (around 10:30pm) and just wanted to take a shower and go to bed. We jumped in the shower, and immediately found the tub is made of hard plastic that creaks with every move you make. After getting out of the shower, we "explored" the room a little, and found the stained sofa and carpeting (oh yeah, I forgot to mention we are in the dreaded room 205 like the last reviewer). It looks like the moldy dish rack was cleaned, but we found plenty of mold on the shower head (the white shower head has turned dark black over time).

We woke up the first time around 4:30am, when the doors started slamming. I'm not sure if it was someone checking out, but a door slammed about 4-5 times. We fell back asleep, and were awoken around 7:00am, this time by someone taking a shower. Numerous noises here...pipes and walls ticking, and again, a loud creaking every time they moved in the shower.

The breakfast was average - coffee, oatmeal, muffins, fruit, and oatmeal bars. It's something to get the grumble out of your stomach, but not quite a continental breakfast.

If you are looking for a bed, a door with a lock, and you can sleep through everything, then save yourself some money and stay here. Otherwise, find a different hotel in the area and give them a shot.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brad S
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that not only did you find our hotel noisy, but that your room was not what you had hoped it would be. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am going to take this room out of service until the issues you have reported are addressed, so that no one has the same experience you reported.

I appreciate that you brought these issues to my attention. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at rdawson@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.