“Fab-u-lous”

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Mishawaka
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Fab-u-lous”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Just renovated with updated amenities and refreshing new decor. I have stayed at this location previously and it had been looking very dated. Major mall nearby plus a wide variety of other retail. Over 50 fast food and restaurant choices within a 1 mile radius. Manager Steve Troyer is very conscientious and strives to exceed guest expectations. Since I was on a business trip, I appreciated the work desk with great lighting and plenty of plugs for my electronics.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Northfield, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I stayed here on my way back from a NY business trip. Normally I would book my room through my company travel service, but for this particular stay I had to book the room myself. The gentleman who took my call, (the hotel manager, I found out later), was courteous, and very accommodating. He explained to me how the hotel was under renovation, but he would do his best to get me in on the first floor as I had requested, he even gave me extra rewards points because of the renovation. When I reached the hotel, several hours later, I was checked in by a young lady named Rachel. She too was very accommodating and pleasant. The renovation was massive, but with the pleasant nature of the staff at this hotel it minimized any construction going on.

I have recently acquired two accounts in upstate NY. I will be sure to stay at this hotel again during my visits to those accounts.

Room Tip: Platinum Members, This hotel treats you the way you are supposed to be treated under a Platinum memb...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank L M
Merrimack, New Hampshire
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

We needed a hotel room just for sleeping. Arrived late (9 pm) and the construction work was done for the day. Quiet and newly remodeled room. The breakfast was typical of Fairfield inn. We had no problems and left at 9 am when the construction crew were coming in. If you need quiet during the day, wait until they are done remodeling. It will be very nice when it is all completed. The third and second floors are done as of today.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 8 February 2013

In the defense of this property, they're under major renovation.

Check-in was a breeze, I was given the platinum points as well as bottled water. I was told right off the bat that breaktfast was in a couple of converted rooms temporarily because they're under renovation (wasn't aware of this when I booked). I got up to my room, which appeared to have just been redone (very nice, clean and comfortable.) Had a mini fridge and microwave in the room, very nice. TV remove was dead, but the front desk got some fresh batteries and that was resolved. There's a lot of dining options around, and tons of stuff to do (only a few minutes from ND campus).

Now for the bad. My keys kept deactivating, I had to get a new key 4 times during a 2 day stay. The renovations were ALL day 9-5. I was working FROM the hotel so all I heard all day was the sound of what sounded like a brick wall being hammered on and saws and drills and OH GOD MAKE IT STOP. The bathroom, while nice and freshly updated.. the plumbing is awful. The sink was just spurting out water with specs of metal or something in it, I let it run for a few minutes and it stopped.. still odd. The shower faucet wouldn't turn past "luke warm" on the temperature thing. I had to damn near rip it off the wall to get the water warm for a shower!

Next time I'll stay elsewhere

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites South Bend Mishawaka, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that we were unable to provide you with the stay you were expecting.

As you mentioned the hotel is undergoing a complete renovation; we are so proud of what’s been done! The new rooms look great! When a room is renovated and released for sale, we go through a very detailed list to make sure all is as it should be. We did have a few rooms with low water temperature, but they have all been corrected. My sincere apologies for the situation with your room keys, this too has been addressed.

Thank you for the kind comments about our staff, they work really hard. We hope the next time you find yourself in the area you will give us the opportunity to make your stay a better one, as we strive to improve our customer service.

Steve Troyer
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We are Marriott Rewards members, so I'm loyal and accustom to the brand, which provides options at all price points, based on what you need, from elaborate resort to functionally clean housing. The price for the Fairfield Inn (which, we view as functionally clean housing, in our rating) was $299 a night, which clearly is not related to value, more than it is to economics of housing near South Bend on football weekends. To be clear, the price spike (normally, about $89 a night) is not a Fairfield Inn practice alone. Similar type properties, 15 min drive from ND, were spiked the same, if not more, for football weekends as well. Price gouging?? Sure. Others may suggest simple result of supply and demand for housing on ND football weekend. It seems to be an industry practice. I will say, price gouging aside, I was VERY happy with what Fairfield offered (considering it's an $89 a night property when not gouging). You cannot review this property based on value received for $299 a night, it's just not designed to be more than functional, clean, comfortable stay, just profit taking based on demand. All this said, you must prepay for football weekends, so we checked in late night from spending arrival day on campus, so much to do. When we arrived to Fairfield VERY nice welcoming staff at front desk. They have a pc with printer in lobby to print out anything you need with ease. Wi-Fi is part of price in room. Very functional. The room was EXTREMELY clean for functional property. Plenty of towels and the beds were Marriott quality (very comfy!!). I called ahead to confirm need for some special arrangments (roll out bed) knowing we were checking in late, and not wanting to sleep with my buddy in same bed!) and it was ready and waiting in the room on our late arrival (plus a few extras!!). The indoor pool and hot tub area are usually places we avoid at funcitonal properties, if they have one, and I will tell you while not elaborate, they both looked very, very clean and appealing as I walked by (I actually wish I had bathing suit for hot tub, if only to put my aching feet in!!). We hit the bed and passed out from exhaustion. It was VERY quiet in room. Morning of game, we woke up to what I thought would be some snacks for "complimentary breakfast" but found an ADMIRABLE buffet. Southwestern type scrambled eggs (peppers, onions, jalepenos!) or regular, sausage, bacon, cereals, ample coffee, yogurts, fruits, so much more. Again, not sure if they provide this at the normal $89 price price point, but even though we paid the inflated rate, we found VALUE in the buffet. Instead of having just a snack, we were filled with a good breakfast and good coffee, ready to go back to campus to start gameday, not hungry until later in the afternoon!! Upon return late night, staff at desk greeted us like family. It's worth noting that Mishawaka seemed far from campus to me when viewing on map, from South Bend. It's actually perfect distance. You are about 15 mins away and you leave all the circus of football weekend behind you, to relax. Just before getting to this property, you have a newer retail development, that has a couple restaurants. Bar Louies (lousy service, don't recommend) and there also is an Olive Garden...not a big fan, but we were hungry and wanted to be steps away from the where we were staying..and you could literally walk to it from this property. Fairfield Inn even provided a really nice posters for Notre Dame football in the lobby to share with guests. It was just a nice touch. Bottom line, this property is clean, close enough to South Bend, but not too close..gave a great breakfast each day...and you may even consider using the pool and hot tub with a beverage after the game...they looked that clean! You can't say its worth $299 a night by any means, but that's what the going rate is for ND Football weekends...more or less...and the one's that were a bit less, looked like a place I didn't want to stay. I'm a critical person by nature, and I have nothing bad to say about this stay...we will return. it made the priceless ND Football experience very restful in the evenings and the mornings start out on the right foot!! Go Irish!!

Room Tip: We were in Room 122 which is the end unit, so even if wall's were thin, you would only have to l...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
massachusetts
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

In town for the ND-Michigan football game. Room clean and fresh. Staff very friendly and helpful. Good breakfast too. Would stay here again for sure!
Was prepared not to like it from all the bad reviews. Starting renovations after the football season.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
US
Reviewed 9 September 2012

It wasn't terrible, but worse than average. It really didn't feel very clean. Not dirty, but not clean.
It was undergoing renovations and so the windows were all covered on the outside. The guys painting the outside were sometimes right outside the window, which was uncomfortable but again, not terrible. I'd rather not stay there again, but it wasn't so terrible either.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
MishawakaFF_GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites South Bend Mishawaka, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Thank you for your review. I value feedback from my guests as a way to continually improve hotel services. Part of the complete renovation process the hotel is going through is exterior painting. This involves covering the windows for a few days. The opaque covering obstructs any view into the room but unfortunately blocks the view out of the room as well. I am sorry you had to experience this temporary inconvenience. I'm also sorry to hear there were cleanliness issues. I take pride in running a top notch hotel with the highest quality standards. The situation will be addressed and corrected immediately. Thanks for your patronage. Please stop by the next time you’re in town. I'm sure our newly renovated hotel will be everything you've come to expect from the Fairfield and Marriott brands. Sincerely, Steve Troyer, General Manager.