“Much more fun than I expected!”

Indiana Beach Amusement & Waterpark
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Monticello
More attraction details
Owner description: Today, Indiana Beach is home to six roller coasters. Of them, three are wooden roller coasters, including the world-famous Cornball Express, voted the #1 Wooden Coaster in the world by Theme Park Critic in 2002! In addition, Indiana Beach is home to Indiana's 1st custom steel coaster, Steel Hawg. Through all its new attractions, new slogans, and new guests, Indiana Beach never forgot its place as a classic facility filled with classic attractions. Whether it’s getting’ their fannies riding on a coaster, relaxing in the summer sun, or dancing & dining with family & friends, generations have enjoyed all that Indiana Beach has to offer including 0ver 100 accommodations. With plans for tomorrow blossoming every day, exciting changes every season, and a continued commitment to quality, there are no limits in sight for Indiana Beach’s future. From a cornfield that a horse and cart turned into a beach swimming area to the largest amusement & vacation playground in the state of Indiana, from its humble beginnings as Ideal Beach to its undying popularity in the hearts of guests of all ages and generations, Indiana Beach has come to represent that there truly is “more than corn in Indiana...”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I had read the reviews before our trip, and I had misgivings from the start. Upon parking in a grass lot and seeing the mish-mash of run-down buildings I was even more unsure. But after entering it seemed less run-down and more charming the more you look. And if you look closely, you can see all kinds of modern technological updates. There are decades of different architecture at work, here, there, and everywhere. Like walking though time. The staff, if a little bored looking, were extremely friendly and helpful. There was a wonderful upstairs buffet with a view of the park. Everything was delicious, and when the waitress saw that my boyfriend's sandles were rubbing him the wrong way, she gave him a band-aid for his foot. Bless her heart. She saved the day.
The food everywhere was fantastic. The taco stand was the best, and very well priced for an amusement park ($2.50 tacos!) Plenty of indoor restaurants and game-rooms to get away from the sun. There was a rainstorm the day we went, and I spent it enjoying playing pool in the upstairs open-air bar, where they had live music in the evening.
The rides were worthwhile. The Cornball Express roller coaster is a must. For a tiny wooden coaster it was a blast. As is walking through Frankenstein's Castle. It was an extra $3.50 to get into the castle, but was hands-down the best walk-though fun/haunted house I've ever been in, and well worth it. The so-called 'beach' however, was not as impressive. Well, maybe it was back in the 1920s when the park opened, but it's only 3 feet deep, so great for kids but not so for adults. The sand is a bit on the gravel-ly side, and only extends into the water about 20 feet or so, then the bottom turns into slippery, slime-covered concrete. They could really stand to truck in some new sand. The other water attractions make up for what the beach lacks. Water slides for older kids, lazy river for adults, and paved squirt park for the little ones (which could stand to have the calcium deposits cleaned off the structures)
So the place DOES need a little love. It needs paint, and maybe a little effort to control their spider population. But the old-fashion-slice-of-Americana-feel more than makes up for it. I definitely will make an effort to go back.

4  Thank Emily B

Reviewed 22 August 2014

My family went to Indiana Beach for vacation this year and it was such a great experience! There were so many different things to do and see. We could barely squeeze everything we wanted to do into our three day stay. We also really liked the atmosphere that made it seem like it was a blast from the past. The only thing that I was a little disappointed about was that two of the waterslides weren't open, but sometimes you have to close things to fix things I suppose. I highly suggest this as a family vacation spot. It has lots of things to do for families with small children as well as families with older kids. My brother and I are both college students and we had a blast! :)

2  Thank Katie S
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband & I have been going to IB for the last 6 years & the quality of our experience goes down each time. Employees are rude & can be seen socializing with coworkers or on their phones. The water park has significantly gone downhill, as it seems that either lake water is being used in the lazy river or it hasn't been properly cleaned in a long time. There is sludge coating the insides of the water slides (well, the ones that are running). We saw a little boy get hurt pretty badly after someone went down the water slide right after him, as the life guard was on his phone when he should have been regulating the pace. Many rides were shut down, including the Steel Hawg, which is the one rides we were looking forward to. I have never been a fan of "fair food", but thought the popcorn chicken sounded like a safe plan, however, I was disappointed because there was nothing popcorn about it. The Dippin' Dots were great & I was happy to see that they had caramel brownie available. Cleanliness & maintenance at the park is questionable to say the least, but we do enjoy the fact that there is hardly ever a line for anything.

4  Thank raejbrew
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The park has a lot of great rides along with a lot of delicious junk food. The elephant ears are definitely the best ever. I was a little disappointed because there were some rides that were not available. I think that the park is very understaffed. One bad thing is that when the evening gets dark the lights in the park come on which is a beautiful site but also the spiders come out, too. The park is infested with them. They are all over the park and I think they need to get someone to take care of that problem. I brought my kids here years ago and this time I brought my kids and their kids. INDIANA BEACH IS A LOT OF FUN!!!

1  Thank Karen M
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have been coming to Indiana Beach for years and it seems to get more run down every year. We went this past weekend and I was shocked at how LITTLE the park does to maintain its cleanliness. They don't even bother to brush off all the cobwebs on the sides of the restaurants/ buildings and the bathrooms were absolutely disgusting! There were also several rides that were not working at the time or "cars" that were missing, making the line wait extremely long. We still had a good time, but I would like to see them spend a little extra time and money on a better up-keep.

7  Thank Nicole0826