“Norman Rockwell was here.”
Review of Sportsman Inn

Sportsman Inn
Ranked #2 of 48 Restaurants in Monticello
Price range: US$6 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Pendleton, Indiana
“Norman Rockwell was here.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our weekend luncheon party of 7 people joined a full dining room this Sunday. Adjacent dining rooms and the outdoor deck were all busy. Food service was on the slow side, which I would have attributed to the crowd, until I read other Trip Advisor reviews and realized this is a trouble spot. With a little one in our party, the wait felt extra-long. Most of our group chose selections from the sandwich menu and very much enjoyed them. Our lunch experience was on the pleasant side of average.

So... why an "Excellent" rating? Because this is an independently owned establishment with a long local history. Because it has water views and boat-in service that I can use to make my teenagers jealous that they didn't grow up in this town and I did. Because we need more places like this and fewer cardboard cut-out chain restaurants.

Also because 30 years ago, the proprietor used to wear evening gowns and greet the weekend patrons like an eccentric aunt. Because The Sportsman hosted my graduation lunch, my wedding rehearsal, my grandmother's 80th birthday party, and my parents' "Friday Friends" breakfast meetups for many years. Did I mention that Rotary Club (still) meets here every Monday at noon?

The Sportsman is more than decent on its merits, and you get a free side of Americana. Dig in.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Tammy B

“Food over cooked and tasteless”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Waited 40 min to be seated. No one else waiting and 4-6 tables open? Idk. Ordered potato skins. Dry, tasteless. Bacon was undercooked on skins. Ordered cordon bleu. It was a Piece of ham with cheese on it, sitting on top a piece of chicken breast. It was over cooked, dry and breading was so hard I couldn't chew it. Onion rings oozed with grease and cooked so long the inside onion was burnt. I don't know how anyone on here can rate this place good. The hostesses, about 6 ppl standing around the entrance were arguing and leaning on the podium doing nothing. Our waitress was attentive and served us well. Too bad she didn't have a quality item to deliver to the table. Daughter had ckn tenders. Over cooked and rubbery. The medley veg was a strange mix of soggy green beans, squash, lemon and maybe? An onion? Unidentifiable mess. Hubby's Cajun ckn was the best of the mess. Over cooked and dry but at least chewable with some effort. His potato was dry and tasteless with it even being loaded. I would NOT recommend dining here. Drinks are good. Atmosphere is loud but nice being near the water. We've had their pizza to go and it is very good. But definatley not fine dining. Very pricey and not even edible food. Sorry such a bad review. Just being honest.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Lharth014
“Great food slow service”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I live in Indianapolis and we drive up for dinner the last time we were in it took 45 minutes to get a drink from the bar. I would like to have had a manager at least stop by and apologize for the slow service the restaurant was not that busy. Luckily the food was delicious like always.

Monticello, IN
“Unpredictable”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We live in Monticello and have few options in dining out. We go to The Sportsman once or twice a month. Lunches are normally good with decent service, but dinners are a coin toss. You may order the same dish at separate visits and have two totally different results. We stick to the same one or two menu items that seem to be consistent. The atmosphere is pretty good. We try to go when they're not too busy.... During the week... That being said, we still enjoy eating there.

1 Thank Oldenkamp
Portage, Indiana
“Great Atmosphere and food”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Had a great family gathering for Mothers Day food was great, atmosphere at dockside wonderful would highly recommend to anyone