“The best place to eat in Monticello”
Review of Sportsman Inn

Sportsman Inn
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Monticello
Price range: US$6 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Indianapolis, Indiana
“The best place to eat in Monticello”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The restaurant is good whenever we eat there. We have eaten in the bar area, outside and in the main dining room. The food is delicious. I recommend the boneless chicken wings on Monday. Daytona sauce is really very good. I also like the house fish dinner. I actually have never had anything bad here and the service is good too.

Visited June 2014

Chalmers, Indiana
“Historic Sportsman Inn Worthy of High Marks”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I would actually rate this place 4.5 stars, but that is splitting hairs. Many memories here of fine dining as a youngster with family. Eating family style walleye dinners was an awesome experience that has stuck with me for many years. Now as an adult I have visited here numerous times. Experienced the beauty of the outdoor dining facilities, the bar and the inside seating nestled up against the window watching the wave runners and boaters speed past. Sadly they no longer offer the walleye that I remember from my youth. In its place they have created a thick exceptional fish dinner of haddock filets. It is excellent when paired with their tartar sauce. We have also tried the steaks, pork chops and numerous pasta dishes. None of these offerings match the excellence of their specialty fish dinner. The fish sandwich as well is very good. I recommend you try this place for its signature fish and if you can be seated outdoors you are doubly blessed.

1 Thank wetravelalot007
Monticello, Indiana
“Scenic Eatery on Lake Freeman”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Definitely the place to go at least once, when visiting Monticello. Food has been better in the past than now, but they still offer a perfect location, a good bar, entertainment some nights and a classy facility. They have outdoor seating in good weather overlooking the lake and a pleasant fireplace in the winter. Service is sometimes spotty, as they seem to have a large turnover in help, so you frequently get a server who doesn't know what they are doing. Another downside can be the lack of reservations taken, which results in long wait times at popular dinner times.

1 Thank dancercrew
Marion, Indiana
“Great water view, good food, great service!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We visited this restaurant last week during our visit to Indiana Beach. It was a quick and easy drive, with plenty of parking. There is a great deck, but no umbrella's so we decided to eat inside and by the window. The view of the water was great. The young staff was very attentive and helpful. The food was good. The restrooms were clean. Service was great. I was concerned about other reviews saying it was slow, but we found that it wasn't slow at all. We were there before 6 pm and as we were leaving, it was getting busier. Definitely will go back.

1 Thank JenniferS25
Monticello, Indiana
“Not enough food..”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

A group of 24 took the dinner/cruise on July 18th..along with what I assume was about 100 + other people who paid $70 each for this evening...our 24 were the last to go to the buffet table as we were directed and we were left with no chicken and no mashed potatoes.. We had boiled shrimp with no sauce and a cold paste salad and a paste dish with sausage...we are cruising the lake so it is impossible to get more food....the meal wasn't hardly worth $35.00...The company and the band were very good....I am sure it is very difficult to control the amount of food that people take but maybe a little extra would be better than running out of food before everyone is served..this particular evening the rating is going to be poor

Visited July 2014