“Never a bad stay”

Summer Haven Resort
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
“Never a bad stay”
Reviewed 19 August 2008

I've been coming to Indiana Beach over the past 14 years and have always stayed at Summer Haven.

As in the past, my stay this past weekend was a pleasant one.
The staff was very friendly and accomodating.

Summer Haven sets a cottage atmosphere that brings me back to my childhood memories.

When not taking the short walk to Indiana Beach, I found the pool area of Summer Haven to be a great place to relax.

Back in Lake in the Hills, Illinois

• Liked — convenient location to many activities
  • Disliked — small bathrooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
chicago il
Reviewed 19 August 2008

i would NEVER NEVER NEVER recommend this place.
reasons :
*not very friendly people/owners
*too expensive and the rooms/cottages are very very small and it bugs are everywhere
*when i accidentally left my room key in the room and already locked the door,the owner of the resort wasnt anywhere to be found so because of that,my family and i had to sleep somewhere else for the night,how lovely huh? i know it was also my fault but the owner shouldve been there in case anything like this would happen,and i guarantee something like that would happen again.
*the tv sucks
*the smell when you get inside the room is just horrible.
its my first time and last time staying in that old aged resort.

• Liked — nothing!!
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008
MillerBeach Indiana
Reviewed 4 August 2008

We go to Indiana Beach every year with family and friends and I will never stay here ever again. The rooms were Mold and Mildew and very unclean with bugs. The Owners were rude and nasty to us. They would lie about their tickets into the park, said that they would have plenty for the weekend, and did not. It was my best friends Birthday and her mother had just past away 4 days ago, so for her sack we asked for a later check out so we could have lunch with her out by the pool. I paid my extra money and ask what time we would have to be checked out. The Manger said andy time between five and six a clock. At four they put a note under our door and said we would have to pay by the hour. So now I went into the office to talk about the problem and she told me to pay up or be out in five minutes or she would call the Police . I was so upset that this place would talk to my family this way and if they lied about check out would they lie about the condition of how we left the stink mildew room. So I had the police come for a walk through before leaving the nightmare Hotel!!!

• Liked — not one thing
  • Disliked — The owners
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
fun5
Reviewed 24 July 2008

My husband, 3 children, and I were going to Indiana Beach for 2 days. The theme park's hotels/cottages were booked so we began calling other places in the area. Summerhaven was the only place with availability so we went with them. Now I know whey they had vacancies!

We checked in and went to our room. We had to walk down a narrow stairway to get to our rooms. Upon walking in our room it had a strong mold/mildew smell. We went and asked if we could change to a room not right by the docks, thinking maybe that was the source of the smell. We looked at a room away from the water and same horrible smell. So we were stuck. We stayed one night and it had to be the worst place I ever stayed!

It smelled so bad I barely slept. The water hitting the docks all night was very loud. The rooms were tiny and the furniture was old. The comforter had a stain on it that looked like it may have been blood so we did not use it. The next morning I attempted to use the tiny shower and was disgusted as my foot felt sticky on the bottom of the shower.

My slightly asthmatic child woke up with breathing problems-probably from the mold/mildew.

Honestly I do not know how this place has not had a visit from a local health department. DO NOT STAY THERE!

• Liked — The pool was okay
  • Disliked — The smell of the rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank fun5
Chicago
Reviewed 26 February 2008

Now, make no mistake. This property is aged and is in desperate need of an update. My husband and I spend every Labor Day weekend here in the row of cabins directly across from the pool (always clean). Mr. Biddle is always accommodating, helpful and gracious. We appreciate the experience however since the rooms are clean and supplied with a stove, updated fridge and private bathroom. It's nice to have the ability to stay for long periods of time and not have to worry about eating out everyday. It's even nicer to walk just two blocks to the Indiana Beach amusement park. We are allowed to bring our own grills, chairs, etc. The only thing not tolerated by management are fireworks.

I enjoy every stay at SummerHaven and look forward to bringing my kids there someday as well.

• Liked — Cleanliness, appliances at disposal. Pool.
  • Disliked — Old furniture in room. Old grill on property.
  • Stayed August 2007
1 Thank BreckBound
Kokomo
Reviewed 27 June 2007

We came to Summer Haven for the first time in 2006 and ended up staying for 3 weeks then went home for 2 weeks and stayed till the week before the kids started school. We are back up again for this summer for 2 months. We have enjoyed it so much. The owner, Ken Biddle, the office girl, Faye and the cleaning staff have become like a whole other family to us. We shopped around alot of the other resorts in this area and have found by far they are the cleanest and best up kept resort on Indiana Beach Road. It is very kid friendly and dog friendly. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. The owner will go out of his way to make your stay more enjoyable. I don't know how someone could say anything bad about this resort or the people that work here. They all deserve a huge pat on the back and I am very happy to call them my summer family.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — A microwave would be nice in all rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank CarolLynnBrenner
indiana
Reviewed 18 August 2006

Summer Haven was a nice place to stay! I think the receptionist is awesome. She is loving, caring and her humor was great. The rooms were clean and the boss was very nice. I would recommend anyone to go there.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — furniture
  • Tips/Secrets — be nice to the receptionist...she is great