“Pleasantly surprised”

The Conningbrook Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kennington
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We usually stay in hotel chains so we know what to expect so i was a bit unsure about staying here. However i didnt need to worry. Our room was spotless and well stocked with hot drink supplies and toiletries. The beds were very comfy and I thought it was a cosy hotel. Only a couple of negatives. The room was hot and I couldn't work out why since it wasnt hot outside. And the floorboards are extremely creaky. So much so that the person in the adjacent room kept me awake until 1am just by walking around their room. It was like they were keeping elephants in there. Since I had an early train I wasnt too impressed. However overall a good stay.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Conningbrook Hotel

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was my 4th or 5th stay and I like the Shepherd Neame hotels. The rooms lack for nothing comfort-wise BUT the downstairs rooms in the annexe have a serious problem that needs urgent attention. I stayed a year ago in room 24 and it sounded like there was a clog dancing team practising in the room above. I could not only hear every footstep but the plasterboard ceiling was vibrating in room 24. I wanted to stay again as the location is perfect for my needs (mid-Kent) so I booked online and asked for an upstairs room. On arrival at 8pm I was told there were no upstairs rooms available and was given room 21 (opposite room 24). Same problem, albeit just the one guest in the room above. However, that person was up at 0525 and although they only walked about for 15 mins it was enough to leave me awake and unable to get any more sleep. I have to ask if the upstairs rooms are occupied by staff, hence the reason why the room was not available and why the occupant was up so early? I thought breakfast might be a redeeming factor (they've always been very good in the past) but sadly no - the cooked breakfast was served before I'd finished my weak orange juice and it was tepid, clearly served from a hotplate and not cooked to order. I was hungry so I ate it - but I noticed the couple at the next table left half of theirs. It's a shame as the hotel, its bar, the facilities in the room, its location and the staff are all excellent and the reason why my marking is as high as Average this time. BUT when I visit any hotel my main requirements are a solid night's sleep and a very good breakfast. Sort the Annexe out Mr Neame!!

Room Tip: In the annexe avoid Rooms 21 and 24 - and probably the other downstairs rooms in the annexe. Those...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Ian and the team made our wedding reception a very relaxed affair.
We had too many guests to use the function room so had a marquee on the lawn which wasn't a problem at all. We even had a bar put into the marquee :)
We ordered off the menu and requested Afternoon Tea which again was no problem and was given an excellent rate per person.
We had a vintage theme and used our own crockery which was all washed up and put back into the boxes for us.
All the staff were great - polite, fun and helpful - nothing was too much.
Most of the rooms were booked out for our party - nice and clean and breakfast was lovely!
Thank you Ian and team - a day to remember and we like to visit regularly :)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I wanted somewhere central in Kent so we could explore the area. This hotel came up with a great deal for a 4 night stay for B & B. Nice clean rooms, excellent breakfasts, good evening meals, nice bar and the staff were a great team making it all happen.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel was lovely, all the staff were very friendly. The reception staff were very helpful, advising us how to get to the nearby church. The room was clean and fresh. They let themselves down a bit at breakfast. When we arrived mid service, there was no yoghurt, no fruit, no pastries, no glasses for the juice and no bowls for the cereal. They seemed severely understaffed. The cooked breakfast was lovely and the coffee was good. We were guests at a christening reception in the hotel later that day and I have to say the buffet was very good. The hotel has a great family atmosphere and I would go there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Booked this hotel due to a friend's son's christening. We had a two day booking and really enjoyed our stay. Excellent location and stunning grounds - lots of outdoor space - a fantastic area for families. We had a very good sized twin room that was well appointed and very clean. Beautiful huge bath towels. Had lunch on our arrival and also an evening meal on our first night. Quality of food was excellent and the staff throughout the hotel were extremely friendly . My only comment would be that at breakfast on our first morning the staff were not keeping a careful check on items that were running out on the buffet table and we had to ask for several items. We would most certainly stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Used this hotel as a convenient stop on the way to France as it is near to the tunnel. Some reviews have stated that some rooms are dated and in need of a refurb. Ours was ok and very clean. The hotel was nicely located and the gardens were great. The pub was also good...very good food. We had our dog with us and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Set us up a special table for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennington
Ashford International Hotel
Travelodge Ashford
Travelodge Ashford
#6 of 8 in Ashford
Premier Inn Ashford Central Hotel

Been to The Conningbrook Hotel? Share your experiences!