“Not what I suspected...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kenthurst
Swami's Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kenthurst
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My girlfriend and I booked in for 3 nights to Swamis at Kenthurst. It was a decision based on two things: needing to really relax and accessibility to Sydney. When we drove down the long sweeping drive, I knew we were in for something different, The place has a feeling of yesteryear - but in a friendly comforting way. Swami's son met us near reception (he pretty much manages the retreat). Straight away, I could feel myself transitioning from the speed of city life to "being in the moment". Aha, so my objectives for a trip were being accomplished pretty quickly! If I have one piece of advice for travellers to Swamis - go with an open mind: do not expect a Gaia retreat or green smoothies brought to you by some luxury pool. It is simple vegetarian fare, basic but comfortable rooms, calm and friendly staff, and some yoga/meditating/bush walking thrown in for good measure. A lot of what people pay for in more expensive retreats is frills. Here the frills consist of witnessing the exquisite relationship between Swami and her son, the unhurried way in which a day unfolds, the sounds of nature all around. For us, it was refuelling. Reenergising. We'll be back soon, even if its just for a night or two.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank first_one_step

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Went to the retreat for a two night stay with a girl friend. It was our first retreat and we were unsure of what to expect.

The rooms are simple, the beds comfortable enough. It is evident that the buildings are quite old, but by no means did this take away from our experience. The gym could do with some improvement/updating.

Sanjay (Swami's son) was extremely welcoming, accommodating and calm. He guided us through our stay. Swami was present much of the time, and is always wearing a smile.

Many people have mentioned that there is no strict adherence to a daily timetable. Often sessions would be early or late, but I did not see this as a negative thing. It is a new and vibrant experience to be able to let go of the reigns and just go with the flow, instead of focusing on rigid time-following.

The food was tasty, vegetarian, homemade, and healthy. I am a picky eater, but had no problem eating any of their food. If there was something I did not like, I would eat more of the things I did like.

The yoga was challenging, but there was no pressure to push yourself more too severely. I did what I felt capable of, and did not feel pressured to push my body too far. The nightly meditation classes were extremely enjoyable for me. I have tried meditation on my own unsuccessfully. On the first night, I was able to immediately get into it and experience the positive effects of it.

If you are looking for a fancy or luxurious relaxation retreat, this is probably not the place for you. If you are interested in learning about simple living, and yogi traditions, then you will enjoy the experience here, like I did.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank kmlaot
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Swami Sarasvati's Yoga & Health Retreat is a wonderful place for yoga, holidays, relaxing, etc. I stayed at Swami Sarasvati's Yoga & Health Retreat for a few days. Swami is a very wise and amazing person/guru and it is a great gift to be in the presence of swami. The yoga classes are tailor made for every participant and it can be a unique experience. To stay at Swami Sarasvati's Yoga & Health Retreat can be a life changing experience for your health and every aspect of your life.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Stephanie W
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I decided this year to take time for me. Christmas is just too much!

This was my perfect break. Here's why:
1. Delicious meals prepared to my requirements. I am a little fussy due to some intolerances which can be a problem for some places. At swami's I had my own private cooking class. Also picked some of the veggies from the organic garden. Lovely.
2. My own Yoga and meditation program. I came to make changes in my life for the new year. I am now armed with my own program to get me started.
3. Wonderful location. My evening walks with Swami to see the sunset over the blue mountains topped off each day perfectly.

Room Tip: The renovated rooms near the pool were nice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Damien D
Reviewed 26 August 2013

A friend and I stayed for 2 nights. On arrival we were greeted by Swami with a big hug - then we were offered a tea and went with Swami for a bush walk to see the sunset. Meals were delicious - often we were asked to choose a menu and also offered to see how it was prepared - like a cooking class learned how to make chai tea, paneer and other indian dishes. We both got special help with individual yoga exercises for back problems and knee problems. Swami, her son Sanjay and helpers could not have been more friendly and helpful - we had an amazing time - relaxing and learning and experiencing the essence of unselfish living. We both are inspired and enjoyed the experience enormously. Heidi

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank swaussi
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Thank you, a step back in time, so wonderful, so many mornings as a child my mother tuned in to Swami we joined in with exercises and wisdom. to be welcomed by Swami herself as if I was family was so fantastic. Her love and warmth. The retreat is like an old family home a little dated as it was established in the 60's, So much love and warmth from Swami and her small team, everyone welcome's you with a smile or a hug, thank you. 60acres of amazing rambling gardens and bush lands. If love, warmth and sense of being part of family is what you desire please take the hours drive from the city, and be sure to share time with Swami. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank astewar8
Reviewed 16 May 2013

First, Swami, her son and staff are lovely people. Unfortunately the rooms smelt damp and musty, the beds were uncomfortable and everthing looked like it needed a really good scrub. I know from experience that anything built in the 70's and not refurbished since is rarely going to look new and sparkling but there was little evidence that an attempt to achieve this had been made. Probably our biggest concern was the kitchen. It really did not look or smell clean and we were drying dishes with cloths that didn't feel look or clean either.

Much as I liked the people I can't recommend this to anyone except a team of cleaners.

Room Tip: All rooms were basic. We didn't notice any discernable difference between them.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Mischiefdebs

Been to Swami's Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!