“Hotel stay - Muncie”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Muncie
Davenport, United States
“Hotel stay - Muncie”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very close to Ball State University. I was met with a smile and check-in was very quick. Overall the hotel is pretty quiet and clean. Check-out was once again easy with a hotel associate very polite and wanted to make sure our stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

chandra k, General Manager at Best Western Muncie, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Thank you very much for your compliments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bardstown, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Great Hotel for a University Hotel. Great Service and great Pool. Good rounded breakfast, eggs, pancakes, beagles, toast, juice, Milk, coffee - too much to list. Rooms could be a little cleaner but, for the money and location, you can't beat it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

chandra k, General Manager at Best Western Muncie, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you very much for the time taken to review our hotel. We will certainly address the cleaning issues and make sure the house keepers do a better job. Also part of the public area especially the hall ways were being used by the AC installers as we are trying to put a central AC in the hall ways to keep the entry hallways fresh and cool.

Regards
Chandra
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here in March for a volleyball tournament and stayed this past weekend for another volleyball tournament.
first experience the rooms were clean but very outdated! Phyllis was super. She gave us coupons for Texas Roadhouse and very friendly and helpful. Some parents didn't feel safe and left. I didn't think it was horrible. The second time was a little better, our rooms were more updated and clean. Hallways really smelled, so I sprayed it with some yankee candle spray, which helped! The pool was very clean, again the staff was friendly. This was right off the Ball State campus. Super close to restaurants and Ball State, Muncianna Volleyball Facility. My husband was with us so I felt safer. Breakfast was the normal Hotel. The rooms were very reasonable, which helped our wallet! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
chandra k, General Manager at Best Western Muncie, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback. The concerns regarding the hallways is being attended to. Partly this is also because of a large construction crew staying in the hotel who prefer to cook meals in the room in microwave ovens. The other reason being that the building has no air conditioning in the hall way. We will try to keep them fresh and clean most of the times but yes this time it was really an issue which we appologize for.

Chandra
Muncie, United States
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I am posting this info directly from notes taken the night of and morning after my stay at this particular hotel. It's an independently owned and operated chain that just does not live up to the quality of the last Best Western I enjoyed in Atlanta in early December 2013. Compared to this one, the front desk reps and cleaning staff bent over backwards to accommodate my needs. The skeleton staff at the Muncie Best Western did nothing of the sort. Notes on the stay are below. Unfortunately, there were a lot of factors that affected my ability to recommend this hotel for future use. From the start of the visit, during check-in, the front desk representative (who may be the manager/owner of the hotel), remained on his cell (not office or desk) phone conversation while securing my information and getting my room assignment. This felt like a breach of privacy, as well as that the customer was not as important as whom was on the other end of his phone conversation. The appearance of the room was very dated. I soon realized that the photos taken of the place online at a generic booking site included a pictures with similar color bedding as well as a box shaped television (as opposed to the modern flat-screen TV actually included in the room). I saw this after looking for more information about the hotel after seeing my room with my two other guests (my sister and 11 year old niece). Other items that increased our dislike of our stay at the Muncie Best Western included: -"Queen" beds that were more like full-size (dimensions) - a child and an adult could not comfortably sleep in the bed without constantly bumping into each other. Incredibly thin blankets for a cool spring in Indiana...(35-40 degree evening) - Lack of additional blankets in room, lack of thought to suggest additional blankets (or anything else) to guest at check-in or any other time. - Upon entrance to the upstairs accommodations area (we stayed on the second floor), the hall smelled like a cafeteria food--not a pleasant aroma to encounter. May have been a ventilation issue. - Heater in room smelled like something was burning when started. - Room service (asked front desk for a tooth brush) required trekking downstairs to the desk to receive said toiletry. Granted, this request was nine-thirty or ten at night, but even the response about procedures for retrieving a toiletry was abrupt: "Oh, you'll have to come down to the front desk for that." It would have been better to explain that the housekeeping staff worked from so-and-so to such-and-such hours, and that guest requests could be fulfilled downstairs at the front desk. That would have left us feeling less abrasive. - When we got downstairs to pick up the tooth brush, no one was at the front desk. The representative (the same older man who checked us in that afternoon and who answered the phone moments before) had to be called from the back, and even then we had to remind him that we came down for a tooth brush. (Upon completing the phone call, we immediately went downstairs to retrieve it. This happened in a space of no less than five minutes.) - Tooth brush provided was nearly useless (too bendy, not enough bristles "seven or ten", according to my niece). Very low quality. This was the child's comment, not just my own. - The "juice" offered at the breakfast was not 100% juice (no details on the juice brands were listed at all). They were juice cocktails or worse. If the machine or a placard had displayed this information, I would have felt less affronted at the trickery. From my understanding, beverages that are not actually 100% juice must be labeled so (eg. "juice cocktail", "flavored beverage".) - Slow food and drink refills during busy breakfast time. The 2% milk was out when we arrived at 8:30. Only two other guests were eating at the time. It was refilled as we finished eating ten or fifteen minutes later. I feel as if there weren't that many guests eating breakfast during the time that we were there, and that this could have been better monitored. The person doing breakfast food monitoring was apparently also had double duty as the front desk representative (a different man from the front desk representative the previous day). - The cereal in the cereal dispenser was stale. It's possible that fresh cereal was periodically added to the top of the dispenser (hence, its perpetually full state), but if the cereal at the bottom is emptied out of the dispenser so that the fresher kind is at the mouth of the dispenser, the effort to add fresh cereal for guests was pretty pointless. We had an uncomfortable evening and even an uncomfortable breakfast. I would not call this an average hotel. My dear niece blogged that it should have been called "Worst Western" instead of "Best Western." I might not go that far, but I would definitely say that an experience like this brings down the Best Western brand. I will have to be more diligent in reading up on these types of individually-owned chains. I selected Best Western Muncie because of my previous enjoyable experience at the location in Atlanta, and because of a 20% discount coupon. Upon reflection, I would have been terribly upset to have paid $82 a night for a stay in a dump. I'm sad about the discounted price for the quality of accommodations and service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

chandra k, General Manager at Best Western Muncie, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
We are extremely sorry for the very bad experience you have had on your recent stay. We understand your feelings, it is not acceptable for any one working on the desk to talk on cell phones and do the checkins. this normally does not happen. we appologize for this work ethic of the person, it looks like me who did the checkinn. Unfortunately all our beds are full extra long size and we do not have any queens. We are sorry that you did not like the juices provided, they are 100 percent juices and are from the endorsed best western vendor. We will check in to this and may be they might need to fine tune the dispenser.

The room furnishings are brand new just completed installing and we will put them out very soon on the web sites. We thank you very much for letting us know these things. I would like to leave my personal number 9379749999. Could you please contact me. Will be more than glad to talk to you and assure you that you will not have this experience again.

Warm Regards
Muncie, United States
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Any time I come to Muncie I always book at this motel , very clean, very friendly and any problem that may come up is quickly resolved and the breakfast is awesome. It is close to restaurants, malls, auto service and BSU. I recommend 2nd story room on weekend so you dont hear folks up stairs walking around at night if you on the first floor,,other than that I had no issues.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Douglas F
chandra k, General Manager at Best Western Muncie, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
We thank you very much for the time taken to say nice things about us. We are in the process of a full remodel of our facility and am sure things will further improve in days to come.
la porte
Reviewed 24 March 2014

hotel was clean. breakfast was good. The beds should be replaces. Very uncomfortable. All rooms had microwaves and refrigerators. One of the security locks on outside door was missing and you didn't need a key to get in. Pool was area was very clean and nice. I had 6 rooms reserved and they were all ready and we arrived early, but they would not let us check in till 3. since we had a bowling tournament, we had to take all of our clothes and coolers with us. A little inconvenient.

Room Tip: all rooms seemed to be equal