“Diamond in the Rough”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Mid-City Cafe
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I totally respect a small, unpretentious place that is geared for the local population. MCC is just that place. I visited on a Sunday morning and was exceedingly pleased. The menu is small, but it really hit the spot. The food was perfectly prepared (it's amazing how many places mess up fried eggs), the service was perfect, and the prices were crazy low! I don't know how long they'll be running the special, but on Sunday you can get a half order of biscuits and gravy with your meal for free. The tab for two of us? $10!!!!!

Well done, MCC! Keep it up :-)

1  Thank akadad

Reviewed 19 June 2013

This is a small place, without any fanfare. They have a menu, but one whiteboard lists the specials and another is full of sides. (Far too many sides to remember or write down--but if it is a common side dish, they probably have it)

Had the baked steak with mashed potatoes/gravy and peas. The steak was so tender it was almost ready to fall off the fork. The potatoes are homemade. There is plenty of dairy in them and just enough tiny bits of unmashed to let you know these came from a spud, not a box.

Around me, others had the salmon patty, fried chicken and smoked porkchop. The only thing heard during dinner was acknowlegement of the quality of the food and the scraping of utensils across rapidly emptying plates. (Actually, oval platters to hold everything)

You can tell this is a place run by people who take feeding their customers the same kind of food they grew up eating and still fix. Did not have room for dessert, but there was some amazing looking temptations under the glass counter.

I'm going back for lunch and I might just get up early enough to try breakfast.

Oh, did I mention this is the place the fancy, fake homestyle, interstate-hugging chains try to capture in their food?

Truly a mom-and-pop operation with Mom coming out to talk to our group about catering a Christmas party and giving us lots of great ideas.

1  Thank Jim M
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We have been here for both breakfast and dinner and found the food to be absolutely great. Large portions and good prices. All meals very tasty. Nothing fancy at all ...just a small diner type atmosphere. We come here for the excellent choices and great hometown service.

1  Thank Mao007