“Not worth the money”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Muncie
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Muncie
Reviewed 11 May 2013

The hotel was difficult to find initially because it sits back from the road and is blocked by signs for other businesses. The hotel was clean, but obviously older and worn. The front doors are not automatic, only one broken luggage cart was at the front door. Front desk staff were pleasant and helpful. Elevator flooring was scruffed and dirty. Carpeting in my room had obviously been repaired, but not replaced. The lady working the breakfast area was very nice and congenial. Breakfast foods were typical synthesized breakfast foods except for the fresh fruit - which was a very limited selection of apples and 2 oranges.

My biggest complaint about this hotel is the "print your credit card in case of incidentals." (Which tends to be normal practice when a room has been prepaid).I had prepaid my bill upon reservation and did not partake in any "incidentals", nor did I cause any damages to the room. Yet, a $25.00 pending fee from Superhost Enterprise - the parent organization for this Holiday Inn Express) showed up on my credit card statement. My credit card company is watching this fee and if it proceeds to a charge, it will be challenged.

The pleasantness of the staff does not counterbalance the worn and outdated state of this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Nathan H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Muncie, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Barbara,

Thank you for the review about your stay with us, and I am disappointed that you encountered the issues you described.

I would like to personally discuss these issues with you. I can be reached directly at the hotel at 765-289-4678 or by email at gmhiemiewe@gmail.com.

As for the $25 authorization hold placed on your card at check-in, I can ensure you that this hold will not result in a charge. As you mentioned, this is a normal practice for a lot of hotels.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

This is a typical HI Express location. Pretty much what you'd expect. If you stay here, be sure to request an even-numbered room (they are on the back side of the hotel and away from the traffic sounds). We had an odd-numbered room and were kept awake by traffic.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Slipjigpiper

Slipjigpiper,

I am sorry to hear you had troubles with your stay. On your next visit to Muncie, we would love to have you back. As always, we will do everything we can to accommodate any requests you may have.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

This hotel was clean and the front desk staff was very helpful. The breakfast bar had several items to choose from and the woman who assisted with breakfast was especially nice and kept the breakfast items stocked and the area neat and clean. The hotel is convenient and close to shopping, restaurants and the university. I have stayed in three Muncie hotels over the past few years and this one was by far the best.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

KYtravelman,

Thank you for the review regarding your recent stay. I will be sure to pass along the wonderful comments you had regarding our staff, especially the front desk and breakfast staff.

We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We rented two rooms Saturday, May 4 for my granddaughter's 3rd birthday party. Figured the girls would enjoy swimming and having a slumber party.

The hotel is not very handicapped friendly as I struggled to get my older granddaughter's wheelchair through front door. No automatic doors so had to hold door open while entering. When we got to the pool, there was no lift in/out of pool. If you haven't lifted 105 pounds in/out of pool, might not realize how nice lift is. Following up with ADA since it is my understanding that February 1st was deadline for lifts. dining area, tables are extremely close to maneuver a wheelchair.

Would not stay here in future.

Barb Wilso

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Barb,

My apology for your less than satisfactory stay, we certainly can do better.

Our team is reviewing your concern and we will immediately find a solution.

May I encourage you to contact me directly so I can personally assist you.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2013

Our room and all its furnishings were very nice. We used the iron and ironing board, the coffee maker, the fridge, etc. All were new or new-ish and worked well.

We did not sample the free breakfast (one of us slept too late!), but by observation I'd say it was the usual good selection of hot and cold options. We eventually walked a short way to an IHOP. There are several restaurants, both fast food and sit-down, nearby.

Would definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Nathan H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Muncie, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Tom,

Thank you for your review concerning your stay. I am glad to hear that the furnishings and amenities provided made your stay enjoyable. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I reserved a room over the holiday break. One night becuase of a baseball camp at ball state. Because of winter weather, ball state reduced their camp for two days to one. I did not need the room at all so i called to cancel. They charged me a half night room rate for a room i did not use. With a son, potenital going to ball state for the next four year, i will make usre not to stay at this hotel,

Room Tip: Do not book ahead, they charged me for a room i did not use because of a winter storm!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank tony s
Nathan H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Muncie, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Tony,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

When looking at your reservation, it was reserved under our “Special Offer” rate, which has restrictions in place at the time of the reservation. One of those restrictions is a non-refundable charge of the first nights room and tax.

As a one-time goodwill gesture, we did issue a refund equal to half of the first nights room and tax.
We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Express for your future travel needs.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

A nice place, beds a little hard, breakfast was good. They put us on the first floor, when will I learn, I hate hearing people walking above me. We didn't ask to be moved, I feel bad moving and then they have to re clean the room. Good value for the money.

Room Tip: top floor if you don't want to hear others above you
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Muncie, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Shalloh60,