“The Exorcist in the Toilet OR If you have a choice between this place and a B&B, choose the B&B!”

The Inn at Amish Acres
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Nappanee
Maryland
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Yes, the staff at the desk is very friendly. The young lady who checked me in recommended a good Mexican restaurant for dinner. When I came back I wanted a cup of tea in my room but the Keurig didn’t work. I went to the main desk, and the girl there let me into the kitchen to get hot water – she did not offer to replace my Keurig. That is minor and I would not even have written a review about it but the next incident showed that it is a part of an unforgiveable pattern.

The worst was just before midnight. I was in my pajamas getting ready for bed. I flushed the toilet and the water started rising, and rising, and rising. Then the water started spurting out of the toilet in a big gusher all over the floor. I have never seen anything like it. It was like a geyser!

I called the front desk in a panic, and one of the girls came to see. B y the time she got here, the geyser had stopped, but the water in the toilet had not receded and the floor was covered in water mixed with urine. The girl asked, “What would you like me to do?”

There was no housekeeping staff to clean it, and I guess no mop, so she came back with a bunch of towels and soaked up all the water on the floor. She told me she had heard of this happening before, but never in this room. She could not find a plunger, so there was no way the toilet could be “fixed.” I asked if any of the nearby rooms were empty, and if so, if I could have a key so if I woke in the middle of the night I would be able to conveniently go next door to use the toilet.

She came back with a key, but told me that if I wanted to use the bathroom in another room, I would have to switch rooms. I told her it was after midnight, I was in my pajamas without a bathrobe, and I had no desire to pack up everything and switch rooms. All I wanted was access to a toilet. She told me there was a public toilet on the other side of the hotel and I would need to use that unless I was willing to pack up everything and officially switch rooms.

Again, I asked if I could simply have a key to a nearby room to use the bathroom (if needed), but she again told me I could only have the key if I would switch rooms (indicating that there were empty rooms nearby). Why? Because if I used the bathroom, that room would be considered “dirty” and would have to be cleaned~

If I had moved into that room, they would have had two rooms to clean, anyway. She did not see my logic. When I suggested she call the owner, she told me the owner was probably asleep and would not want to be woken up. I was too tired to argue, so I went to sleep hoping that I would have no need to use the toilet before morning.

I would think that any place with toilets (especially a hotel) would have a plunger!
And, the attitude that respecting the owner’s undisturbed sleep (or saving money by not having to clean an extra room) was more important that having a convenient toilet available for a middle-aged, paying guest in incomprehensible to me.

Clearly, the staff here needs more training (or at least the young lady who dealt with my toilet). Guests who pay to stay in a hotel expect at the barest minimum a bed and a working toilet.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank betsydc1
AmishAcres, General Manager at The Inn at Amish Acres, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for your review of The Inn at Amish Acres. As the General Manager of the Inn, it is my responsibility to ensure that every guest's experience meets their expectations. Upon reading your review, it is obvious that this did not happen in your case. I am extremely sorry for any deficiency that took place during your stay. If you read our reviews, you will not see reviews that discuss our inn with the deficiencies you had stated. I would like to address the aspects of your review.

The Keurig machine, while a great invention, can be finicky. The machines that are used in our guest rooms are designed for hotels with some safety features in mind. It could be devastating to a hotel for a guest to brew coffee without a cup or leave the unit running non stop. In order to brew a cup on our machines, the directions on the left front side of the machine must be followed in the exact order listed or the machine will not brew the cup. Many times, I find that the guest has not done this. Upon reading your review, I immediately went to your room to test the Keurig machine and it worked correctly.

The situation with your toilet was not handled correctly for which I am truly sorry. It is true that there is no housekeeping staff on duty at midnight to take care of a mess. The front desk staff did do the correct thing in cleaning the water with old towels that could either be sanitized or discarded. Cleaning this way is much quicker than a mop and will get you back to bed quickly. A plunger is kept in every hallway in case a toilet gets clogged. The front desk staff knows this and should be able to take care of a clogged toilet for you. If for some reason she wasn't able to find it or know how to fix, a call should immediately be placed to me. I live very close and have no problem with coming in to help a guest. I have done this on many occasions. You should have been offered another room which it sounds like you were done. If she was not able to accommodate your wish to have two rooms, the attendant should have again called me so I could fix the situation.

Again, I am very sorry for your dissatisfaction with your stay and we hope that you will try us again when you are here.

Brian Bell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Michigan
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The location was great and the girl at the front desk was very friendly during check-in. For that, I give them one star. Unfortunately, that ends the list of happiness on my recent visit.

The shower did not drain properly and had very inconsistent water temperature. They have a problem with bugs, as I found several in the bathtub. The furnishings were acceptable, but quite dated. Another member of our party arrived at 3:30 to find that their room was still not cleaned & ready for their check-in.

The biggest problem we encountered was that housekeeping left the door to our room open (not "just" unlocked, but standing ajar) all day while we were out sightseeing. When we approached the general manager with this problem, his response was, "Nappanee is a safe town." He didn't apologize at all, nor did he ask whether anything was missing. He completely dismissed the problem. I doubt whether he has even addressed it with the housekeeping staff. He had a horrible attitude and I can't believe he is a general manager. He also ignored the broken air conditioning in the common areas - it was broken the whole weekend during our visit and made for a very uncomfortable continental breakfast.

On a related topic: If you plan to try and enjoy the dinner that comes with the hotel package, you had better get there early. We visited Friday night at about 6:00 and they ran out of chicken for the "all-you-can-eat" dinner. There wasn't even enough to finish serving our table, but they had let us all order it without mentioning that they would soon run out. Our server made it right, but it was frustrating nonetheless.

Overall, a complete lack of guest service and inattention to detail make this a regrettable hotel and dining experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
AmishAcres, General Manager at The Inn at Amish Acres, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Thank you for your review of our country inn. As the General Manager of the inn, I assure you that we take all reviews seriously and use them to help train our staff better. It is apparent from your review that your stay was not adequate. My goal as the General Manager is to ensure that every guest has an experience that meets his or her expectations. I would like to take a couple of moments to address some of your concerns during your stay.

Our air conditioning system in the lobby did malfunction that weekend. It was unbearable for not only the guests, but also our employees as it was extremely hot outside. I can assure you that the issue was not being ignored and that we were doing everything we could to get it repaired in a timely manner. This involved not only our own maintenance staff, but we also had an HVAC repair team that came in to address the system Saturday morning. While, I apologize for the inconvenience, we cannot foresee when something like this may take place and can only do our best to get it resolved as quickly as possible.

I do remember speaking with you about the issue with your door being left ajar by the housekeeping staff. This was addressed with our housekeeping staff by myself and our housekeeping supervisor. If my demeanor came off as dismissive, I sincerely apologize as that was not what I was trying to accomplish. I wanted to reassure you, as the guest, that our town and inn are safe and that I would not be worried about whether or not anything would be missing out of your room.

Travellers are raving about these Nappanee hotels

Morehead, Kentucky
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This place gets lots of accolades and lots of tour buses… and I don’t know why. The rooms were sparkling clean but only wicker seats and a relatively small flat screen tv. I know, I know, it’s the Amish thing. But there are three major down sides to staying here: a busy nearby rail line runs almost constantly and the locomotive drivers blare their horns throughout the night. I counted four times over a 15-minute period at 5:00 am. It was the worst motel/hotel night I’ve spent over the past 20 years. Next was the poor sound insulation in all the walls. We heard constant noise from our elderly next door neighbors. Third was the minimal cold breakfast. I’d expect a better meal from a place named Amish Acres. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis K
grand mound, ia
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed at the Inn for 4 nights for a program on Amish Culture. The room was part of the package. The room was clean but is in need of numerous updates that are well past due! The carpet in the halls was very stained. Carpeting in the room was stained and in very bad shape and buckled in places. This was in room 109. The door to the room had paint missing as well as dents in the door. We were given only one key to the room for two people. This key had no fob..it was just a key which was also required to open outside doors. The beds were horrible..lumpy and made noise when you moved on them! Pillows were virtually nonexistant and about two inches thick. The blankets were ancient and very worn. The spreads had also seen better days many years ago. We had throw pillows that had a quilt look..they were the best pillows in the room! Towels varied from nice to extremely thin. I would describe the place as 'tired'. If we are in the area again..we'll not be staying at the Inn at Amish Acres.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mket19
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I come here every year and just love it. It feels like you are going back in time. I love the food, great homeade Threshers dinner! The deserts are to die for. The plays are always great and very entertaining. Love the breakfast that is included in your room stay. I highly recommend this place for the whole family. There is something to do for everyone young and old. The shops are so nice and have a variety of things to buy.

Room Tip: The hotel is not huge so every room is great. I prefer the first fl.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Darlene V
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Very clean, staff polite, will return.Food excellent. Craft festival was great, would recommend more seating areas for Seniors and
Handicap.

The show in the round barn was great ! I will be telling friends for a little getaway they will enjoy it.

• Stayed July 2013
st louis
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We visited Amish Acres from St Louis, MO. The Inn was clean, quaint, had a decent continental breakfast (no waffle machine, though!), and was in a good location. The Show in the Barn
Theater (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers) was stupendous!!! The Amish Acres Farm was interesting and we enjoyed the tours available, as well as the "shopping".

Room Tip: There is a railroad track nearby, so I think you hear trains, no matter where you stay!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nappanee
Brook Pointe Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkhart-South
Homespun Country Inn
Homespun Country Inn
#1 of 5 in Nappanee

Been to The Inn at Amish Acres? Share your experiences!