“Go someplace else.”

The Inn at Amish Acres
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Nappanee
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stay someplace else. Expensive-coffee maker didn't work- carpet was duct taped-noisey- no screens on windows- no elevator-morning staff was not friendly-no coffee in lobby at 9:30 am- and charges us $140.00 a night. We are in our eightys and normally don't make a habit of complaining.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank judith l

Reviewed 6 June 2014

My grandmother and I are still on a trip to Nappanee and we have already had a lot of fun. The hotel is wonderfully placed next to Amish Acres, a mere five hundred feet from the entrance. While there is a railroad next to the hotel (across the street, blocked by a Chevrolet repair shop), the noise did not bother us, mostly because my Nana has lost some of her hearing and I am a railfan.
The Inn's staff is very nice, especially the first night. Also, the room had recently been renovated, so the stay in the room (as of writing this, we are staying for the second and final night) is wonderful, the room being 108, facing away from the railroad. The room was well-maintained, the decorations were traditionally Amish and the bedspreads and sheets were of Amish making, fitting for the culture that we are on vacation to experience. The TV, while some of the channels were missing, had a wonderful selection to choose from. The AC unit was manufactured fairly recently and made noise enough to put one to sleep at night.
The Continental Breakfast is served between 6:30 and 9:30 AM Eastern, and consists of Amish muffins, cereal, a waffle maker, hard-boiled eggs, a toaster and a variety of coffees and juices. Although it is cold, it is well-worth it. The food is SO good that if you are not careful, you might end up cleaning the breakfast buffet!
The rooms have two beds, a bedside table, a dresser, a flat-screen television, a small work table and an area to hang your jackets, coats or whatever else you need to hang. Also in that area are an ironing board and iron. There are two simple Amish chairs in the room.
The lobby includes a table with a Checkers board, a table with a thousand-piece puzzle and a small couch, where one can relax before going to his/her own room. The porch in front of the Inn has a few rocking chairs for anyone to just sit back and relax.
Overall, the way that the Inn is run is very good. I loved it! Thanks to all who made this trip great and we hope to stay here again sometime.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the railroad are a little quieter, although if you are a railfan try to get a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kyle L
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This place needs much attention. Bedspreads are pilled, curtains are bad and the whole place needs upgraded. Shower knob wasn't able to adjust water, the wall under the sink was disgusting.We were greeted at the back door by cigarette butts and bear cans on the ground. I will never stay there again, besides they are overpriced. If you want to visit amish country, stay a short drive away in Goshen or Elkhart. I would bet they have much nicer hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank myerpark65
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was reading the other reviews and kept thinking what hotel are they reviewing. I have been coming here for years about 16 yrs and I come back every year. We even have a family reunion every year. My family was very happy with the service, room and breakfast. The staff are very friendly. The room is always very clean. The lobby is like a living room, very comfortable. I have only great things to say about this hotel. The red barn is great. When we first started coming out here, the red barn was a barn so it is really an awesome theatre. All the plays are great.

Room Tip: I always ask fo first floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Darlene V
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Yes, the staff at the desk is very friendly. The young lady who checked me in recommended a good Mexican restaurant for dinner. When I came back I wanted a cup of tea in my room but the Keurig didn’t work. I went to the main desk, and the girl there let me into the kitchen to get hot water – she did not offer to replace my Keurig. That is minor and I would not even have written a review about it but the next incident showed that it is a part of an unforgiveable pattern.

The worst was just before midnight. I was in my pajamas getting ready for bed. I flushed the toilet and the water started rising, and rising, and rising. Then the water started spurting out of the toilet in a big gusher all over the floor. I have never seen anything like it. It was like a geyser!

I called the front desk in a panic, and one of the girls came to see. B y the time she got here, the geyser had stopped, but the water in the toilet had not receded and the floor was covered in water mixed with urine. The girl asked, “What would you like me to do?”

There was no housekeeping staff to clean it, and I guess no mop, so she came back with a bunch of towels and soaked up all the water on the floor. She told me she had heard of this happening before, but never in this room. She could not find a plunger, so there was no way the toilet could be “fixed.” I asked if any of the nearby rooms were empty, and if so, if I could have a key so if I woke in the middle of the night I would be able to conveniently go next door to use the toilet.

She came back with a key, but told me that if I wanted to use the bathroom in another room, I would have to switch rooms. I told her it was after midnight, I was in my pajamas without a bathrobe, and I had no desire to pack up everything and switch rooms. All I wanted was access to a toilet. She told me there was a public toilet on the other side of the hotel and I would need to use that unless I was willing to pack up everything and officially switch rooms.

Again, I asked if I could simply have a key to a nearby room to use the bathroom (if needed), but she again told me I could only have the key if I would switch rooms (indicating that there were empty rooms nearby). Why? Because if I used the bathroom, that room would be considered “dirty” and would have to be cleaned~

If I had moved into that room, they would have had two rooms to clean, anyway. She did not see my logic. When I suggested she call the owner, she told me the owner was probably asleep and would not want to be woken up. I was too tired to argue, so I went to sleep hoping that I would have no need to use the toilet before morning.

I would think that any place with toilets (especially a hotel) would have a plunger!
And, the attitude that respecting the owner’s undisturbed sleep (or saving money by not having to clean an extra room) was more important that having a convenient toilet available for a middle-aged, paying guest in incomprehensible to me.

Clearly, the staff here needs more training (or at least the young lady who dealt with my toilet). Guests who pay to stay in a hotel expect at the barest minimum a bed and a working toilet.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank betsydc1
AmishAcres, General Manager at The Inn at Amish Acres, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for your review of The Inn at Amish Acres. As the General Manager of the Inn, it is my responsibility to ensure that every guest's experience meets their expectations. Upon reading your review, it is obvious that this did not happen in your case. I am extremely sorry for any deficiency that took place during your stay. If you read our reviews, you will not see reviews that discuss our inn with the deficiencies you had stated. I would like to address the aspects of your review.

The Keurig machine, while a great invention, can be finicky. The machines that are used in our guest rooms are designed for hotels with some safety features in mind. It could be devastating to a hotel for a guest to brew coffee without a cup or leave the unit running non stop. In order to brew a cup on our machines, the directions on the left front side of the machine must be followed in the exact order listed or the machine will not brew the cup. Many times, I find that the guest has not done this. Upon reading your review, I immediately went to your room to test the Keurig machine and it worked correctly.

The situation with your toilet was not handled correctly for which I am truly sorry. It is true that there is no housekeeping staff on duty at midnight to take care of a mess. The front desk staff did do the correct thing in cleaning the water with old towels that could either be sanitized or discarded. Cleaning this way is much quicker than a mop and will get you back to bed quickly. A plunger is kept in every hallway in case a toilet gets clogged. The front desk staff knows this and should be able to take care of a clogged toilet for you. If for some reason she wasn't able to find it or know how to fix, a call should immediately be placed to me. I live very close and have no problem with coming in to help a guest. I have done this on many occasions. You should have been offered another room which it sounds like you were done. If she was not able to accommodate your wish to have two rooms, the attendant should have again called me so I could fix the situation.

Again, I am very sorry for your dissatisfaction with your stay and we hope that you will try us again when you are here.

Brian Bell

Reviewed 15 November 2013

The location was great and the girl at the front desk was very friendly during check-in. For that, I give them one star. Unfortunately, that ends the list of happiness on my recent visit.

The shower did not drain properly and had very inconsistent water temperature. They have a problem with bugs, as I found several in the bathtub. The furnishings were acceptable, but quite dated. Another member of our party arrived at 3:30 to find that their room was still not cleaned & ready for their check-in.

The biggest problem we encountered was that housekeeping left the door to our room open (not "just" unlocked, but standing ajar) all day while we were out sightseeing. When we approached the general manager with this problem, his response was, "Nappanee is a safe town." He didn't apologize at all, nor did he ask whether anything was missing. He completely dismissed the problem. I doubt whether he has even addressed it with the housekeeping staff. He had a horrible attitude and I can't believe he is a general manager. He also ignored the broken air conditioning in the common areas - it was broken the whole weekend during our visit and made for a very uncomfortable continental breakfast.

On a related topic: If you plan to try and enjoy the dinner that comes with the hotel package, you had better get there early. We visited Friday night at about 6:00 and they ran out of chicken for the "all-you-can-eat" dinner. There wasn't even enough to finish serving our table, but they had let us all order it without mentioning that they would soon run out. Our server made it right, but it was frustrating nonetheless.

Overall, a complete lack of guest service and inattention to detail make this a regrettable hotel and dining experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
AmishAcres, General Manager at The Inn at Amish Acres, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Thank you for your review of our country inn. As the General Manager of the inn, I assure you that we take all reviews seriously and use them to help train our staff better. It is apparent from your review that your stay was not adequate. My goal as the General Manager is to ensure that every guest has an experience that meets his or her expectations. I would like to take a couple of moments to address some of your concerns during your stay.

Our air conditioning system in the lobby did malfunction that weekend. It was unbearable for not only the guests, but also our employees as it was extremely hot outside. I can assure you that the issue was not being ignored and that we were doing everything we could to get it repaired in a timely manner. This involved not only our own maintenance staff, but we also had an HVAC repair team that came in to address the system Saturday morning. While, I apologize for the inconvenience, we cannot foresee when something like this may take place and can only do our best to get it resolved as quickly as possible.

I do remember speaking with you about the issue with your door being left ajar by the housekeeping staff. This was addressed with our housekeeping staff by myself and our housekeeping supervisor. If my demeanor came off as dismissive, I sincerely apologize as that was not what I was trying to accomplish. I wanted to reassure you, as the guest, that our town and inn are safe and that I would not be worried about whether or not anything would be missing out of your room.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

This place gets lots of accolades and lots of tour buses… and I don’t know why. The rooms were sparkling clean but only wicker seats and a relatively small flat screen tv. I know, I know, it’s the Amish thing. But there are three major down sides to staying here: a busy nearby rail line runs almost constantly and the locomotive drivers blare their horns throughout the night. I counted four times over a 15-minute period at 5:00 am. It was the worst motel/hotel night I’ve spent over the past 20 years. Next was the poor sound insulation in all the walls. We heard constant noise from our elderly next door neighbors. Third was the minimal cold breakfast. I’d expect a better meal from a place named Amish Acres. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dennis K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nappanee
Brook Pointe Inn
#2 of 6 in Goshen
Comfort Suites South
Comfort Suites South
#11 of 22 in Elkhart

Been to The Inn at Amish Acres? Share your experiences!