“So much fun”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“So much fun”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Great little marionette show. Sit outside on wooden benches. Popcorn provided. Fun for the little ones!! Entertaining little hidden show in Nashville.

Visited October 2012

Indiana
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Wonderful place...a must for the family.”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My hubby and I come every year and take our daughter to the slightly-spooky halloween show here. It isn't real long so it is great for little ones with short attention spans. We just love the atmosphere of the show. You also get a free popcorn with admission. At $5 a person/kid it can be expensive for a bigger family, but we consider it a must. My daugter loves when the "witch" is there giving out smarties.
My mother even enjoyed the show last year and she is pretty picky.

Visited November 2011
Bloomington, Indiana
“Entertaining”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I took the grandchildren and we all had a wonderful time. The music and marionettes were marvelous. Very comfortable, informal setting. And only $5! It's a 20 minute show; no charge for children under 2.

Visited September 2012
Indy
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Enchanting!”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

This is a must-see when you are in Nashville, regardless of whether or not you have children. I am an actor by trade, and not inclined to applaud a sock, but that is NOT what this is. Peggy Melchior's theatre is a tiny space between buildings, and seems straight out of an old world fairytale. Trees form a leafy canopy above the seats and stage; the theatre is actually outdoors, although it feels as if you were inside. The space is painted with colorful, detailed old-world designs, detailing the history of puppetry. Her sets and Marionettes are 1/4 size (one quarter life size) and crafted with meticulous detail. I found it all fascinating from a technical aspect, but once the show started, it's pure art. The shows themselves are geared for preschool and elementary aged children; my daughter at 9 was among the older set there. Except! Behind us were 2 girls about 14 years old, who warned her that a spider would drop on her head in a little bit, because they come to see the show every year. There is quite a loyal following, and the shows are such that even as adults, people return for a bit of the magic they experienced there as children. There are lots of little surprises, things pop up or come down from the most unexpected places, Peggy takes many of the marionettes through the audience so the kids can see and sometimes touch them up close. Free popcorn is part of your $5 ticket price. I was so delighted by the show in October, I took my daughter, niece and nephew (9, 4, and 6, respectively) to her theatre in Indianapolis (Peewinkle's Puppet Theatre) for the Christmas show as well. Additionally, Peggy has adult shows that she will bring to groups in the hotels, all you have to do is ask. A really delightful and unique experience, and one of the few things in Nashville that is specifically for younger children. A must-see!

Visited October 2010