“Peaceful and beautiful Place”

T.C. Steele State Historic Site
Ranked #8 of 32 things to do in Nashville
More attraction details
Owner description: Home and studio of T.C. Steele.
Bloomington, Indiana
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Peaceful and beautiful Place”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My family has roots that go back to Mr. & Mrs Steele. I love to share the history with family members and friends when we visit. I am very annoyed when I hear a tour operator rattle out details that are inacurate. One man argued with me over a major detail before finally admitting that he didn't really know the whole truth. He had only been there two weeks or two months. I was very irritated and just wanted to be left alone. He kept wanting to argue.

Visited July 2012

indiana
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Nice Place”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My wife and I visited TC Steele State Site a couple of years ago. It was just before the staff went home, so we roamed the place with freedom. We enjoyed a bird who fell in love with himself in the looking ball. The iris were in full bloom and we got a great picture of a field of them in front of the log cabin.

Nice place if you like to be outdoors and roam.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank davidphoto574
Carmel, Indiana
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Beautiful natural setting and art studio.”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

T C Steele was a famed artist of Brown County, Indiana. Mr. Steele was named a member of the "Hoosier Group" of American Impressionists painters. The home and studio are located on 211 acres of wooded property in Hoosier National Forest. The site is located 13 miles west of Brown County State Park. While in the area visit Nashville, IN, a small arts community just 5 miles from Brown County State Park and 10 miles from the T C Steele Memorial.

Visited October 2011
Dearborn, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“My Grandkids loved it - they wanted a TC Steele poster in their room!”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

On a beautiful day in late March we drove up the hills to this beautiful setting for the home and studio of T.C. Steele, an Indiana Impressionist who died in 1926. The Arts & Crafts charm of the home, the bird-watching and nature trails for acres around it, are very tranquil. Pay for the 45-minute tour to see inside the 2 buildings - they are a delight. Even my 12 and 8 year old grandchildren enjoyed it. The studio has crayons & paper for them to draw while the guide explains the artist's evolution to impressionism, surrounded by Steele's paintings in chronological order. The kids wanted a T.C. Steele poster from the little gift shop, which shows how much they appreciated the experience. All in all, a great way to spend 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Visited March 2012
Spencer, Indiana
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“If you like T.C. Steele..”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

A place of beauty and peace. A bit off the beaten path, which is a good thing, and a wonderful commemoration dedicated to the memory of one off our finest artists.

1 Thank jkle