“A Bad Night”

Rawhide Ranch
Louisville, KY
“A Bad Night”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Rawhide Ranch for a one-night getaway. I liked the concept and was very excited to check it out. We checked in late but received prompt service from Derek. At the end of the check-in process, we were warned that doors must have been left open during a prior event, and the entire place was buzzing with flies, especially the bathrooms. We were told that there were some fly strips in the common area that we could take to our room. I wasn't sure what to say to that, so we headed off expecting to make the most of it.

We still needed to grab dinner and were advised to drop our bags to head out before everything closed. We noticed the numerous flies as we dropped off our bags, but did not spend time on the issue. After we returned from dinner, we realized how bad it was. I would estimate 30 flies in the bedroom and 20+ in the bathroom. We could not find any fly strips, but there was a swatter left in the room for us. We tried to ignore the flies and make the most of it, but after an initial calm period when we entered the room, they started to get busier and a little more aggressive, buzzing by and landing on the bed sheets, and occasionally on us. It was fairly intolerable.

After offering to drive my wife home (she declined), I spent the next 45 minutes swatting flies. I was able to reduce the population to a tolerable level, but only after substantial effort. We had no misconceptions about the fact that this was a ranch and was not a 5-star hotel. However, the fly situation was not what we nor anyone else signed up for. If I was camping in a tent, I would only have to deal with an occasional invader. Even camping outside without a tent, I wouldn't have had anywhere near the nuisance. The fact that we were warned and that measures were taken (though woefully insufficient) indicate that this situation was abnormal and not a routine "it's a ranch" issue.

I was still determined to shrug it off mostly to "stuff happens", but the more I thought about it (and the more of my time was wasted swatting flies rather than enjoying my wife's company), the more I realized that the real issue was the management response. Why weren't the fly strips already in the room rather than waiting for me to track them down and hang them? Why didn't someone spend a few minutes swatting the flies like I did? It would have been much more efficient work with a step stool and without my wife lying in the bed. If nothing was going to be done, why not a friendly heads-up before we arrived so we could make an educated decision before driving 90 minutes? Why not even an offer for a discounted stay (or return visit) or a free breakfast? I don't know if all the other rooms had the same degree of infestation that we had, or if the problem was underestimated because it takes a while after entering the room for the flies to get fully active, or what, but the situation should not have been tolerated by the management, and it would be unfair of me to not point this out to readers.

Aside from the flies....

We did opt for the $9 breakfasts. The food was OK, no better, no worse. We ate very hurriedly because it was a constant effort to defend against the flies in the dining room as well. I wished we would have just found somewhere in town to eat.

The mattress was among the most uncomfortable I have slept in. My wife and I met in the middle because the mattress sagged so badly.

The campfire setup looked nice from a distance, but we did not check it out due to our late arrival and the need to get food.

The heater in the room were a nice touch and worked well.

We had no issues with smells inside the room. Outside, it smelled a little like a barn of course, but it was refreshing and part of why we chose the Rawhide.

As others may have noted, the rooms are a lot of hard wood, so noise echoing could be a bit of an issue on crowded nights, especially with lots of kids around, but it was mostly quiet enough the night we stayed.

I think this palace has potential, and I'd like to chalk this up to one bad circumstance compounded by a poor management response (or knack thereof), but I unfortunately am not willing to come back and give it another try. That said, I can see why others would opt to give it a try nonetheless. I should also note that the rate was quite good and it would have been a decent value without the fly issue, although the poor (broken?) mattress in the Doc Holiday room is way below standards regardless of price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pick6king
Raistlinalpha, Manager at Rawhide Ranch, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
pick6king,

We failed you and that is as simple as I can put it. I was unaware of how bad the fly problem was in the rooms and that is an error. If I was informed, I would have had employees in the rooms with flyswatters taking care of the problem before you checked in but that did not happen.
I do not know if you talked to anyone upon checking out about your bad experience. If you did not, I wish you would have so that I could have apologized in person and attempted to make it up to you in some fashion. It is not our goal to give someone a bad experience but the exact opposite. If you had made a comment, then that is part of the communication problem we have already corrected.
The bed in Doc Holiday. I have not had any other customers comment on this until now. We will look into it and if it is found to be a problem, it will be corrected.
Please give me a call so that we could discuss this in person. I can be reached at the ranch - 812-988-0085.

Rawhide Ranch USA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Franklin, IN
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We took our three grandaughters down for horseback riding and to zip line. Had a great time...the zip guides were wonderful. Thanks Mollie and Kelci, the girls have not stopped taling about ziplining. Everyone wants to go back fot their night time Zip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Raistlinalpha, Manager at Rawhide Ranch, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
DLTLT,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We happen to agree that Holler Hoppin' Zip Lines is just plain old fun. The night zipping is an entirely different experience and only $30 for a trip through 4 zips. It is one heck of a deal. If you have not already, come back this spring and try the night zips.

Once again, thank you for writing us a review.

Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I took my Girl Scout Troop for a two night adventure at Rawhide Ranch back in May 2013. I saw a review from another Girl Scout leader that said her experience was poor because they arrived late and the office was closed. Our normal 90 minute drive from Carmel took 3 hours due to weather and traffic issues. Needless to say we were late. I called the office from the road to warn them we were coming late. Derek met us at the office when we got there. He explained everything we needed to know regarding the teepees, bathrooms and water. Our only problem was a down-pour of rain. My co-leader and I didn't master closing the top of the teepee before the rain, but Derek came out after the storm to make sure everyone was o.k. The inside and outside fire pits were soaked, so cooking was out of the question. We just packed up the girls and headed into nearby Nashville for dinner.
The girls and adults all had so much fun with the ranch hands, the horse riding and zip lines. The ranch hands let the girls help bring the horses down to be brushed and saddled. The girls loved helping out and the coffee in the restaurant was greatly appreciated by this leader! After riding on the trails, Derek took an hour to give the girls a lesson in horse grooming and care.
Because the teepee floors are sand, we took a few large tarps and laid them out over the sand before the sleeping bags went down. This worked well for keeping the sleeping bags clean and we just pulled the tarps over the sleeping bags when it started to rain. Even though we didn't get the top closed, most of the inside of the teepee stayed dry...water coming in was due to lack of skill on our part, not that the teepee couldn't be closed completely. Our neighbors got theirs closed and had a fire inside that night. We all stayed nice and warm anyway.
One of my girls was too afraid to do the zip lines. The staff treated her so nicely. Even though she didn't zip, they still had her climbing the hills and logs with the photographer. They made sure she had a good time and didn't make her feel bad about not overcoming her anxiety.
I'd like to bring my family back next summer, so my other daughter and husband can enjoy it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Raistlinalpha, Manager at Rawhide Ranch, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Cheryl C,
Thanks for taking the time to write a lengthy review. We all know how busy our lives are and taking that time out of your day to write this review is greatly appreciated. I love the tipis. It does take a little practice to figure out the flaps but you eventually get the hang of it. I love it when people are resourceful and take the initiative. Congrats on using your tarps not only as ground cover but as a rain deterrent while in the tipi.
We know that taking care of the kids is our priority but helping the parents/leaders out with a little morning coffee is the least we could do.
The entire ranch staff is here to help the guest have a memorable experience. We know we have a good crew here and appreciate the feedback.
I do hope you return next year with your husband and your daughter.

fort wayne indiana
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

When i first pulled up, i was a little worried. It looked like an old farm with not much to offer, but after pulling around to the barn, we were excited. Horses, goats, dogs, cats ... my girls were excited. The renovated barn has sleeping quarters upstairs and our room was comfortable and very clean.
Breakfast was amazing. So yummy. The staff is incredible friendly and accommodating. Oldest daughter went on a trail ride and her guide Gil was the sweetest man. He got a pony out for our 3 year old so she could ride in the corral. We will definitely go back, soon!!

• Stayed October 2013
Raistlinalpha, Manager at Rawhide Ranch, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Mommyof2kr,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. The ranch does have great folks in our family and try their best to make the guests feel as welcome as they can. Gil is a great wrangler and loves people which doesn't take long to figure it out. The new breakfast on the ranch is amazing, especially the biscuits and gravy. I hope that you guys come back soon.

I would be interested to know what made you worried when you first pulled up. Why felt like it was an old farm. Please shoot an email to our general ranch account, info@rawhideranchusa.com or feel free to give the ranch a call - 812-988-0085. Please ask for me.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Buck Inn in Sept. 2013 and loved it! It is so cozy and comfortable. Very western (after all it is a Dude Ranch) and so nice to be able to heard the horses at night down below. The horseback ride with Gil was great, he makes it fun and gives a lot of information about the area. Unfortunately, on our second day, it rained a lot. So we were not able to take more rides, the trails were too slick. However, we enjoyed talking to Frank (the cook) and the other guests after breakfast, sitting on the deck around the 2nd floor of the Buck Inn between showers and watching the horses, wild turkeys, the goats and just relaxing and taking in the beauty of the setting. We were able to have a bonfire on the first night and that was fantastic sitting around the fire with trees all around on 3 sides and hearing the horses on the fourth side. Such a relaxing, friendly place to go. I felt like I was far away from cities and my usual responsibilities. So easy to relax. My friend and I intend to go back and hopefully it won't rain so we can do more riding. A thank you to all the staff who helped make our time there so lovely!

Room Tip: We took the Henry room, two double beds and it looked out on the round pen and we could watch the ho...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Carole,
Thank you for leaving such a great review, it would seem we succeeded in our mission to provide a great place for people to gather, reconnect and escape the modern day pace. Gil is a great guide and Frank is a hoot to chew the fat with. The ranch atmosphere is not for everyone but it would seem you felt right at home. I hope you and your friend return and that we see you guys soon.

Thanks for helping with the horses.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I decided to come to Rawhide Ranch after thoroughly going over their website and after looking at many cabins and B&B's. We were getting away for only a few days and wanted somewhere reasonably priced, out of town but close to Nashville. Nashville is literally 5 minutes away from the Ranch.

We stayed in the Buck Inn and our room was the Henry. There are other options if you would like to have more privacy such as the Brouse house for couples and the Ranch house if you have a large family. The beds were reasonably comfortable. The mattresses were a bit softer than what we are used to but overall not bad. The room was very cozy and clean as shown in the pictures. The common area was fantastic. Very well lit with many games to choose from and the furniture was very comfortable. They provide a fridge and microwave for you. Which came in handy for us. We ate in town but next time we would like to eat there. The food smelled great.

My husband and I zip lined and went on the trail ride. They discount those activities if your staying at the ranch. Prices are very reasonable. Zip lining was so much fun!!!.. Our guides were fantastically funny and safe. Made even nervous folks have a great experience!

The horseback riding was wonderful. Lots of great trails that lead through hills and valleys. Gill did a great job of making the novice rider feel safe and have fun. For the more experienced rider Rawhide has a great variety of terrain to travel on to keep it fun and interesting. plus Gill has such a wonderful sense of humor and personality that honestly you could be riding circles in a round pen and you'd still have fun! It's easy to see why he is the adopted grandpa on the ranch. He genuinely cares about everyone and their experience on the ranch. He will go out of his way to make you feel welcome. And always has a smile on his face and a laugh to share. It's no wonder you can find all the kids trailing at his heels.

Derek, the head boss does everything he can to make sure your experience at the ranch runs smoothly and goes put of his way to fix any problems that arises. And if he has to leave there is always someone there to help you and he makes sure that if you need him for anything he is reachable by phone. As Derek and his family live on the ranch they have a lot to juggle not only running the ranch but raising a small family. As a mom of four and a wife of a husband that runs his business from home. I truly commend Derek and his wife for their commitment to the ranch and for the service Derek and his crew provides to their patrons. Its not easy running a business alongside where you live but Derek goes out of his way to make sure you feel as if you are genuinely an extended part of his family.

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the nightly campfires. To us this was the icing on the cake!.. We had time to ourselves at times but whenever others would join us it was fraught with wonderful conversation and laughs with others. I mean nothing is better to me than sitting at a campfire playing my guitar and having some lively conversation. This place is about "CONNECTING" with people and nature. It stands as a reminder of what's most important. Which are relationships.. It's refreshing to not be distracted by technology here. If technology and pampering are high on your priority list then this may not be the right place for you.. But if having lots of fun, having a place that's family friendly and being surrounded by nature and a myriad of wonderful people is important to you. Than I highly recommend Rawhide Ranch!

I can't wait to return for either another couples getaway or a family vacation. I've travelled a lot over this country, mexico as well as canada staying in everything from hotels to luxury resorts and this was probably by far my favorite trip out of all of them. I've never had this good of a time anywhere else.. The difference were the people here. These folks are the salt of the earth. And They are what makes this place special! My only regret was that we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed October 2013
JeannieAndJimmy,
Wow, I have been typing and deleting for 1/2 an hour trying to put in an insightful response but there really isn't one. Your testimonial says it all. You basically have me speechless, which is unusual.

Thank you and please bring the kids to experience the ranch soon.
Tell Jimmy to let the boys help with a car or two.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

My husband and I just left the ranch. It was easy to find, tucked in between Columbus and Nashville Indiana. It was about 15 minutes to either city but far enough away that we were able to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere the ranch provides. Gil took us on a horseback ride that was awesome! Thanks Gil for being a great trail guide. Keisha helped us check in and was very helpful! We enjoyed ourselves and will be back!

• Stayed September 2013
Yotim,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and your kind words. We all agree with you that Gill is a great guide and goes out of his way to make everyone as relaxed as they can be for a ride. I will let Gill and Kisha know you complimented them.

Don't stay a stranger. Keep your eyes open for special events and dinners now that we have the Banded Rooster (dining area).