“Welcome To Weird”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Noblesville, Indiana
“Welcome To Weird”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My wife and I decided to leave town without the kid for a romantic one night getaway. We had never been to Brown County and decided that is where we were going. We found what seemed like a good deal on Groupon for a one night stay at the Always Inn Bed and Breakfast and booked our room. When we arrived at Always Inn, I thought it looked fun and my wife didn't know what to think. She's not the “rustic” type. Either way, we decided we were going to have a great weekend, no matter what. We walked around the building a few times trying to find the entrance. No luck. We opened a door and went in. Basement. We said hello trying to find someone. Finally the innkeeper came to the stairs and told us to hold on because she was on the phone. After a few minutes, she asked us for our I.D. And a credit card to photo copy as well as the copy of the Groupon. We didn't have a copy of the Groupon because on it, it said we could pull it up on our phone when we arrived. We were told we needed to contact the owner or figure out a way to print it off. We said OK. After meeting the other innkeeper, her husband, she showed us to our room. It was not the room we paid for. She argued with us for a minute. We told her we tried for the regular room when we made the reservation but were told it was already booked so we paid an extra fee for the nicer room. Finally we got to our room and unloaded our luggage. Then we made our way to the nearest town for lunch and to find the library so we could print our Groupon. We returned and I gave the inn keeper the Groupon. That was the last I saw of her or her husband the rest of the night which was fine because they were bizarre, to say the least. While in our room for the evening, we noticed several things that were not as described on the website. The TV only half worked, there were no complimentary chocolates, the crappy little fire place didn't work and the WIFI was so slow, it was completely useless. After an hour or so of watching a television that shut off about every 15 minutes, we went to bed. The next morning we woke up to a freezing cold room. I went down stairs to get a couple cups of luke warm coffee for my wife and I. I said good morning to the innkeeper and she immediately asked what room I was staying in. I told her and she told me they didn't have enough seating for breakfast and asked if I could sit on the couch. I said sure. I went back upstairs to pack up before breakfast. Then the power went off. We waited a while and went downstairs. The innkeepers were outside smoking cigarettes for several minutes. When they finally came in, we were told there would be no breakfast. For some reason they didn't find it necessary to run into town and buy some bagels or cereal or anything that might be considered breakfast. I guess I just assumed we would get some sort of breakfast at a Bed and BREAKFAST. We left. Do not stay here. Its a joke and I can't believe how many great reviews this place has had. My guess is either, employees are writing these reviews or a lot of nutty people have visited this ridiculous excuse for a bed and breakfast. Every time I spoke with the strange innkeeper, I was reminded that I should write a review for ALWAYS INN BED AND BREAKFAST. So that's just what I'm doing. Again... don't stay here. It's awful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Consumer00001
fredadanzig, Owner at Lil Black Bear Inn, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you for the opportunity to speak with me on the phone yesterday about your stay at Always Inn Brown County.

The power going out at breakfast time was unfortunate; it came back on at 11:40 a.m.

I am refunding each room $20 since a full country breakfast is included. We have had no complaints about the television reception. The Hughesnet internet connection is a constant issue and we can't wait for AT&T to finally come to East SR 46 in Brown County!

What makes me very sad are your very personal attacks on Lois and Marvin Scrogham, the innkeepers. Those kinds of comments only make the reviewer appear mean-spirited. The innkeepers strive to be kind, caring, considerate and hospitable.

I emailed you personally prior to your arrival as a reminder to please bring your Groupon; alternatively you could have emailed it to us and they could have printed it for you, saving you a trip to the library.

Good and bad reviews are helpful to any business. I pay close attention to each compliment and criticism so we can always improve on ways to pamper visitors and neighbors as we approach our 25th anniversary of continuous service.

Freda D'Souza, founder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Our host and hostess made our experience a very pleasant one. They made us feel right at home. The rooms were very charming and the breakfast was great... (thank you marvin and louis) for an overall pleasant, and relaxing vacation...
The johnson's

• Stayed November 2013
London, Kentucky
Reviewed 7 November 2013

After reading through all reviews we thought maybe this would be a nice place to stay and give a chance, we were wrong this was terrible and scary to begin with the Inn looks nice from the road and we were very pleased and even seen a deer in the side yard while driving up the drive I was so excited then once we met the Innkeeper I was slightly concerned she looked a little less then inviting but I thought maybe she had a rough morning and we did arrive a little early so we went in she took us to our room and said that she and her husband had just taken over a short time ago and that the old innkeeper had left after robbing the inn (TMI) . anyhow we settled in and was ready to go see the fall tree site in the state park on our way out we met the male innkeeper and he was quite strange and smelled terrible we went ahead and enjoyed the day out when we came back the inn was very dark and creepy and when we got to our room we discovered someone had went through our bags as I am OCD and have things put away just perfect (for me) we went to ask about this and could find Nobody to even talk to so we went back to our room and locked the door my boyfriend put a knife in door frame to give a little more security and we decided to try out the jetted tub in the room and even though it was romantic and relaxing we noticed under the door someone was just standing outside our room assume trying to listen to us we hurried out of tub got dressed and went down stairs again NOBODY to talk to, concerned for our safety we contacted the local police and let them know what had all taken place and they suggested if we felt unsafe we leave the inn and stay else where but we had already paid and was short on funds so we turned off the lights and tv and just watched for a while and seen nothing more so while my boyfriend slept I was awake all night worried and wanted to be sure nobody tried coming in the room during the night which nobody did, At breakfast the next morning I voiced my concerns and the lady replied that I was wrong and her husband would not do that (I never said anything about it being her husband) then I told her we were wanting to check out a day early and asked if we could be refunded for both nights she said I would need to speak with Owner and after reading all the reviews we knew that would end us to a dead end so we took a loss and left and moved to a wonderful bed and breakfast just minutes down the road and when I talked to the new innkeeper about what had all happened at Always inn the lady said its nothing new and that they always hear horror stories about this location I told her we had seen most recent reviews and thought it may not beso bad and she said its easy for Innkeepers to write multiple reviews to make the inn look good and get praise from owner,, DO NOT STAY you will not be SAFE.

Room Tip: the rooms are very nice and clean but security is a massive issue, we stayed in the Bittersweet and...
3 Thank Kathy C
As Always Inn Brown County approaches its 25th anniversary of serving visitors and neighbors, we strive to continuously improve by responding to the good and bad feedback from guests.

When a reviewer suggests that other guest reviews are misleading and/or "written by the innkeepers," it suggests that the reviewer is either mean spirited or misinformed.

Each of us has to sign up for Tripadvisor.com to submit a review and have to provide information to validate our identity. Each of the reviews on trip advisor were posted by guests.

In the case of your review: (a) we can find no record of anyone from Kentucky staying in the Bittersweet Room so we have asked Tripadvisor to contact you and (b) I have contacted both the Nashville police and the Brown County Sheriff's department and they have no record of any calls from you (they say each call is logged and taped) and (c) we have never had any incident where a guest would feel unsafe in my close to 25 years of owning Always Inn Brown County.

Freda D'Souza, founder

Travellers are raving about these Nashville hotels

Nappanee, Indiana
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We loved staying at the Always Inn! The innkeepers were very nice and welcoming. The breakfast was great, and the place was very nice. It seemed like they really cared about us! We loved eating breakfast with the other guests, they were so nice. We had so much fun! The chocolate chip cookies available all day along with the oatmeal and hot drinks was a very nice touch. The rooms were very spacious with a great jacuzzi! We will definitely be coming back! Great job Always Inn. The old reviews do not do you guys justice!

Room Tip: The Red Bud room was great! I loved the balcony.
Plymouth, Indiana
Reviewed 26 October 2013

First, I can not say enough about Lois & Marvin (innkeepers). They really make you feel welcome and at home. The family style breakfasts were delicious and meeting the other guest was fun. The rooms were nicely decorated and extremely comfortable, my husband and I found the beds very comfortable. The grounds were beautiful (weather not so much). I truly look forward to another visit.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My boyfriend and I just visited the Always Inn to celebrate our six-year anniversary, and I was impressed. It was our first time staying at a B&B, and it definitely made us excited to return. I was a bit apprehensive before we got there because there had been some bad reviews, but I learned that new innkeepers had recently taken over the management. I'm glad we gave it the benefit of the doubt! Pulling in to the drive, I was taken aback by how gorgeous the grounds look. We parked and got out, and one of the innkeepers, Lois, was already there to greet us. She gave us a tour of the house, then led us up to our room, which was the Bittersweet. We loved it! It was very clean and smelled nice, the bed was very comfortable, and I LOVED the enormous jacuzzi bathtub. It had a flat-screen tv with directv, as well as a VCR/DVD player. The movie library is comprised of VHS tapes, so if you want DVDs, I guess redbox or a movie store in Columbus would be an option. We stayed for two nights, and had a great time. The only thing I was mildly disappointed in was the breakfast, which is described as a "full country breakfast", but which we found was a bit bland and generic, but the food still tasted ok. It was definitely nothing that would deter me from going back, or from giving the Always Inn a five-star rating. Lois and Marvin have done a wonderful job cleaning up and restoring the place, and their hospitality is gracious and genuine. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Curlyk88
Greenwood, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My wife and I went to Nashville on our first date and have been going back there on our anniversary for 42 years. Through the years we have lodged at various places in and around Nashville, but we have never had a more wonderful experience then when we stayed at the Always Inn Bed & Breakfast. The rooms are clean, nicely decorated, and just plain comfortable! The grounds are beautiful, well maintained, and peaceful to walk around. Lois & Marvin (innkeepers) are without a doubt the friendliest and nicest folks you will ever meet! They go way above and beyond what is necessary to make your stay as pleasant and memorable as possible. Their country cooking breakfast meals are as appetizing as any we have ever had, and the family style setting for breakfast allows you to meet the other guests and enjoy a leisurely meal. If you are looking for a hideaway for a night or few days in a beautiful setting, and friendly people who will take good care of you then try the Always Inn Bed & Breakfast in Nashville, Indiana. You won 't be disappointed!!

Greg S