“Disregard the outdated website...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Lil Black Bear Inn
Ranked #14 of 25 Nashville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bloomington, Indiana
“Disregard the outdated website...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Pros:
The whirpool and fireplace were awesome!! These were the reasons we picked our room, and they didn't disappoint.
The TV had been upgraded from the pics on the site, and it swiveled on the wall mount so you could watch it from the whirpool.
Breakfast and snacks were very yummy.
The mattress was comfy.
The bathroom had been upgraded from the pics on the site, and looks very nice.
The innkeeper and her daughter were super sweet and attentive. I mentioned to her that I didn't eat pork or beef and she went out of her way to buy and cook me turkey bacon!
Everything seemed very clean and cozy.
The property is very pretty, and there's plenty of space on the patios for just enjoying the views.
The provided robes, toiletries, etc. were nice.

Cons:
We saw (and killed) a cockroach in our room when returning one evening. We only saw the one, and the place didn't seem dirty or anything, but still a bit unnerving.
The wifi was SUPER slow. I tested it at .45mbps.
The room did NOT have premium channels like the site claims. Was really looking forward to watching HBO.
There wasn't a pull-out couch in the room like the site claims. Would have been a huge issue if we'd planned on that bedding accommodation, but the chairs they put in its place were not comfy. Would have much preferred a couch.
The porch was not private like the site claims. It's by the parking lot so EVERYONE walked through it going to/from their cars. One guest even opened our sliding door when they arrived thinking it was the way into the house. eeeeesh.
Several of the blind slats to the sliding door were missing, so you had a direct view of the whirpool when walking through our porch. Again, eeeeesh.
The site claims you get a "brass king bed", but it's actually a king bed on a rolling frame with no foot/head board. This wouldn't be a huge issue except that there is a recessed window right behind the bed, so you and your pillows are just falling into it all night.
Noise really travels in the place. One night someone was in the common room, the room right above our bed, until like 1-1:30am making lots of noise. Woke me up several times. Another night I could hear one of the other guests snoring.

All-in-all, we liked our stay, but I was pretty annoyed at some of the stuff the site claims that didn't match up with what was provided. If something is really important to you in booking a room here, I recommend that you call to ensure it's actually provided. I probably would have reconsidered the value for the cost if I'd known there wouldn't be premium channels, the porch wasn't private, and the couch was replaced by uncomfy chairs.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank manderzpanders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Trafalgar, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

This is the old innkeepers Lois and Marvin Scrogham. We wanted to say Thank You to all the great an wonderful customers we had May 8, 2013 - February 10, 2014. You were all the greatest and we will miss you dearly this next season. We wish you all the best.

Thank you again!
Lois and Marvin Scrogham
Former innkeepers of Always Inn Bed and Breakfast, Brown County, Indiana

P.s. To all those who's complain or had a negative comment - thank you as well. For you have to take the bad with the good, that's how we learn. We wish you all the best.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank SuperTripleL
Bethel, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I bought a voucher on Groupon for the 2-night stay as a gift for me and my boyfriend to have a relaxing and romantic weekend not too far from home. I also ordered the candlelit dinner in our room for the night we arrived and a bottle of champagne being chilled. The innkeepers had everything perfect! The fire was lit and the room was clean and the bed was SO comfortable!
Unfortunately, my boyfriend was sick so he could not enjoy the food or drink or atmosphere and he spent the entire weekend sick in bed, but Freda, Lois and Marvin went above and beyond to be sure that we were taken care of. I took breakfasts up to him, but he couldn't eat and they offered him chicken noodle soup and crackers on the house! How sweet! Saturday I went in to town for a couple of hours and Lois checked in on him and made sure he had more bottles of water!
The food was great, the people were wonderful and they are just 8 miles from Little Nashville! In those 8 miles I passed an entrance to Brown County State Park, a horseback riding stable, a golf course/retreat and antique shops! So much to do in such a small area!
I would suggest this B&B to friends and family looking to get away and be in a homey and relaxing home. The room we stayed in had a fireplace and hot tub with a big four-poster bed and a balcony. I would be happy to return one day when my boyfriend is feeling better! Thank you Freda, Lois and Marvin!

Room Tip: The Bittersweet Room is absolutely perfect!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Tina B
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to take a weekend trip to Nashville after we saw a Groupon offered for Always Inn. We thought it would be a great opportunity to check out the town before the weather got too cold and to take a day trip to IU, where I went to college.

We didn't arrive until late on Friday evening, but Lois met us at the door and showed us upstairs, where snacks like oatmeal and cookies are always available and coffee is always ready to go. The living room was clean and cozy, with a pretty large collection of reading materials and VHS tapes - although our room didn't have a VCR. We headed down to our room - the Evergreen - and we were very pleased to find that the room (and bathroom) was extremely clean and the bed was very comfortable. Lois let us know that she likes to come in and make the beds, replace towels, etc. every morning, unless we were uncomfortable with her doing so. I thought it was lovely of her to offer, and I appreciated the heads up! We slept very well that night and got up for breakfast in the morning. We had a really wonderful time eating breakfast with the other guests…it was so much fun talking with everyone that we wound up hanging out for about an hour and a half! We were gone most of the day on Saturday in Nashville and Bloomington and had a really amazing time.

Overall, we had a really enjoyable two-night stay. The service was wonderful, the whole facility was comfortable and clean, and it was a very peaceful weekend away. My boyfriend kept telling me how great everything was, and how much he enjoyed our trip. I definitely imagine that we'll be back to Brown County in the near future, and we won't hesitate to stay at Always Inn again. We might even bring our dog next time, as the B&B is dog friendly, and I think he would love to hike in the state park!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Courtney C
Zionsville, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

We have stayed at several B&B's and this was probably our worst experience. The Inn could use many updates, but we were disappointed with the amenities that it lists, but were not available to us, and the minimal service offered at Breakfast. There are no chocolates or snacks in each room, only 2 bottles of water in the fridge, wifi was not working, and we asked several times about the wifi and perhaps resetting the router might help, and no response. It was clear that there was communication breakdown between the innkeepers and the owner living in California, from the numerous calls we overheard through the walls of our room. There were 8 seated for breakfast, the meal was satisfactory, however by the time 8 plates were placed, some plates were now getting cold. Our hosts served the plates and left for quite sometime, we had to make another pot of coffee & serve it ourselves, and then finally they returned to clear the table. The next morning, approx 8:30am, we mysteriously lost electrical power, no weather issues. Good thing my husband had gone upstairs an hour earlier and made us a pot of coffee in the dining room. When the power went out, we decided enough is enough, packed up and left the inn. We won't be back, there are too many other nice B&B's and Cabins to choose from in this area. Hoping Groupon will refund me my purchase on this one.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank frequentraveler13638
fredadanzig, Owner at Lil Black Bear Inn, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Suzette and Chris:

So sorry that you were disappointed in your stay at Always Inn Brown County. I was at the inn the day prior to your arrival and the internet worked fine. I have shown Lois and Marvin how to reset the modem if that happens again. They are country folks who are not electronically savvy, but they strive to be good hosts. It was unfortunate that the power went out at breakfast time; I am refunding each room $20 since a full country breakfast is included. Left a voicemail for you and look forward to hearing from you about the updates you suggested. Thanks again for your feedback - good and bad reviews are critical to continuous improvement. Always Inn has served visitors to Brown County since 1991 and we want to be the best we can be as we approach our 25th anniversary.

Freda D'Souza, owner

Travellers are raving about these Nashville hotels

Noblesville, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

My wife and I decided to leave town without the kid for a romantic one night getaway. We had never been to Brown County and decided that is where we were going. We found what seemed like a good deal on Groupon for a one night stay at the Always Inn Bed and Breakfast and booked our room. When we arrived at Always Inn, I thought it looked fun and my wife didn't know what to think. She's not the “rustic” type. Either way, we decided we were going to have a great weekend, no matter what. We walked around the building a few times trying to find the entrance. No luck. We opened a door and went in. Basement. We said hello trying to find someone. Finally the innkeeper came to the stairs and told us to hold on because she was on the phone. After a few minutes, she asked us for our I.D. And a credit card to photo copy as well as the copy of the Groupon. We didn't have a copy of the Groupon because on it, it said we could pull it up on our phone when we arrived. We were told we needed to contact the owner or figure out a way to print it off. We said OK. After meeting the other innkeeper, her husband, she showed us to our room. It was not the room we paid for. She argued with us for a minute. We told her we tried for the regular room when we made the reservation but were told it was already booked so we paid an extra fee for the nicer room. Finally we got to our room and unloaded our luggage. Then we made our way to the nearest town for lunch and to find the library so we could print our Groupon. We returned and I gave the inn keeper the Groupon. That was the last I saw of her or her husband the rest of the night which was fine because they were bizarre, to say the least. While in our room for the evening, we noticed several things that were not as described on the website. The TV only half worked, there were no complimentary chocolates, the crappy little fire place didn't work and the WIFI was so slow, it was completely useless. After an hour or so of watching a television that shut off about every 15 minutes, we went to bed. The next morning we woke up to a freezing cold room. I went down stairs to get a couple cups of luke warm coffee for my wife and I. I said good morning to the innkeeper and she immediately asked what room I was staying in. I told her and she told me they didn't have enough seating for breakfast and asked if I could sit on the couch. I said sure. I went back upstairs to pack up before breakfast. Then the power went off. We waited a while and went downstairs. The innkeepers were outside smoking cigarettes for several minutes. When they finally came in, we were told there would be no breakfast. For some reason they didn't find it necessary to run into town and buy some bagels or cereal or anything that might be considered breakfast. I guess I just assumed we would get some sort of breakfast at a Bed and BREAKFAST. We left. Do not stay here. Its a joke and I can't believe how many great reviews this place has had. My guess is either, employees are writing these reviews or a lot of nutty people have visited this ridiculous excuse for a bed and breakfast. Every time I spoke with the strange innkeeper, I was reminded that I should write a review for ALWAYS INN BED AND BREAKFAST. So that's just what I'm doing. Again... don't stay here. It's awful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Consumer00001
Thank you for the opportunity to speak with me on the phone yesterday about your stay at Always Inn Brown County.

The power going out at breakfast time was unfortunate; it came back on at 11:40 a.m.

I am refunding each room $20 since a full country breakfast is included. We have had no complaints about the television reception. The Hughesnet internet connection is a constant issue and we can't wait for AT&T to finally come to East SR 46 in Brown County!

What makes me very sad are your very personal attacks on Lois and Marvin Scrogham, the innkeepers. Those kinds of comments only make the reviewer appear mean-spirited. The innkeepers strive to be kind, caring, considerate and hospitable.

I emailed you personally prior to your arrival as a reminder to please bring your Groupon; alternatively you could have emailed it to us and they could have printed it for you, saving you a trip to the library.

Good and bad reviews are helpful to any business. I pay close attention to each compliment and criticism so we can always improve on ways to pamper visitors and neighbors as we approach our 25th anniversary of continuous service.

Freda D'Souza, founder
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Our host and hostess made our experience a very pleasant one. They made us feel right at home. The rooms were very charming and the breakfast was great... (thank you marvin and louis) for an overall pleasant, and relaxing vacation...
The johnson's

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nashville
Brown County Inn
#4 of 25 in Nashville
Hidden Valley Inn
Hidden Valley Inn
#10 of 25 in Nashville

Been to Lil Black Bear Inn? Share your experiences!