“They just don't get it!”
Review of Artists Colony Inn

Artists Colony Inn
Ranked #6 of 22 Nashville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I took my wife there for a romantic getaway and it started great! A perfect, lovely location in the heart of the town. The room rate was $250 plus tax per night so I had high expectations; probably too high. We checked into our room w/o any problems before enjoying dinner in their very nice and tasty restaurant. The room felt like a bed n breakfast in that their was a sleigh bed, armoire, pedestal sink, etc... It was not as clean as a chain hotel in that the toilet bowl was stained and the tops of higher items had a coating of dust on them. We didn't plan to be in the room much so all the dirt was overlooked and we were tickled with the location so it was forgiven. After a full evening of exploring, we retreated to our room. The bed was rather comfy and we settled in to watch a little television before going to sleep. And that's when everything soured. We heard loud music playing which we thought was from a neighboring room. Eventually we turned off our tv and the loud music persisted. We both thought they'd eventually turn it off. I woke up many times through the night and eventually called the front desk around 4:00AM to ask them to check it out. I also got dressed and discovered that a shop below had left their in-store music on all night! Being not well rested, I spoke to the manager on duty to let her know I was unsatisfied. She said she would let the owner know and I asked for them to contact me. Ihad not heard from them so I checked back in later that day and was told the owners had left. We slept fine our second night and when we checked out, I spoke to the same manager who told me she had given them the details of our first night stay but they were not available again. I was not happy that they didn't care enough to reach out to us so I called on Monday during business hours hoping to speak with the owners. Once again, they avoided my call and the manager said they offered us a complimentary meal to their restaurant on our next visit. I told her that was lousy and I expected a credit on my CC for the first night. That never happened. I would not have been as demanding had I only payed $50 but I had payed over $560 for a two night stay. I am now contesting the CC bill.

• Stayed: October 2010
5  Thank Kingfish_1968

Reviewed 19 July 2010

Pleasant enough room for 168.00. Shared balcony with 2 other rooms.
Rather sparse in terms of one tiny shampoo, and equally tiny bars of soap..no extra towels. Just seemed there should have been a bit more somehow
Very convenient location, however. Andf a very gracious woman who checked us in and out.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AaronFWA
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We took our teenage son for a get away to Nashville, IN. We planned to hike at the Brown County State Park and the Morgan Monroe State Forest (30-40 min. drive) We got the hotel's suite so that the 3 of us would have room to spread out. We stayed in Suite 311 and it was a strange floor plan. It had a dining room for 8 but only a love seat for seating to watch TV and relax in the evening. The third person had to take turns sitting in a dining room chair. I didn't understand the need for the dining table. There is a bedroom with a queen bed and the sofa bed pulls out but there is not much room for the love seat to open up. The location was nice and the staff friendly but I would not rent that room again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Cincytraveller_10
Reviewed 28 April 2010

We spent two nights at the Artist Colony Inn. Everyone was friendly. The room was very clean and comfortable and the pumpkin bread was great! The morning breakfast buffet was more than expected with scrambled eggs, potatoes, pancakes, sausage gravy, biscuits, grits, sausage links, bacon, fresh fruit and breads. We also had dinner there one night and it was fantastic. We stayed in a room with a balcony and got to enjoy the outdoors. We walked around town and shopped and relaxed it was wonderful.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank difrommi
Reviewed 15 October 2009

My husband and I traveled to Nashville, IN to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary and we are so glad we did! This is a beautiful and welcoming little town. We stayed the night at the Artist's Colony Inn in room 301. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. The room was decorated in period 19th century - had it not been for the t.v. and coffee maker, we would have truly felt we stepped back in time. We had dinner and breakfast the next morning in the restaurant - very good food. Would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Slahta
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Arrived at the Artists Colony Inn with my two girl friends. The Inn is charming and quaint and the staff was helpful and freindly. Brown County was under a boil water order following some major problems and power outages, but the staff at the Inn made sure you were aware and provided bottled water for use. Our room was on the 2nd floor and for a B&B we found the room to be very spacious. It had a small balcony to sit on complete with rocking chairs and a bench - a great spot to sit, enjoy our wine and people watch. Parking is conveniently located behind the inn so you don't have far to go with luggage or bags. Great shops and stores for blocks though we were disappointed to find most stores closed at 5:00pm and some didn't reopen until 10 or 11 am. This Inn was reasonably priced for the location and included 2 buffet breakfasts which were delicious.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank midwsttrvlr
Reviewed 9 July 2009

My 78yo mother, sister, 24yo daughter and 12yo niece stayed here for our ‘Three-Generation-Mother-Daughter Get-Away.’ This is a lovely Inn to stay at. The rooms are very clean and decorated with beautiful Shaker style furniture. There isn’t a closet, but pegs along the wall to hang your clothes. There was a small loaf of fresh pumpkin bread placed in our room each day. We had two rooms for the two nights we stayed. One room had two queen beds and the other had a four poster cherry queen bed. My very petite mother joked about having to ‘jump up into bed’ and ‘hoped she didn’t fall out’. There is a small step stool to help, if necessary. The location is along the main shopping road of Nashville, which was great for us! We parked our vehicle and walked to everything.

The only thing that keeps me from giving the inn a 5/5 rating is the meal voucher system ‘change’ for the restaurant and the Management’s handling of it. It was very deceptive. When we made our reservations, we were told that children stay free and that the inn guests eat breakfast free and when we arrived, the sign in front of the restaurant stated, “guests eat free”. HOWEVER…when we were at breakfast we were informed that management has ‘just changed’ their policy and we had to PAY for my 12 year old niece’s breakfast. My niece is very well behaved and only ate 2 Silver Dollar size pancakes, a very small bowl of fruit with a glass of juice. (Guests are allowed coffee or juice) and we were charged $10 per meal for her.

There was NOTHING said about this policy change on their website, it was not told to us when we made inquires about staying there. Nothing was said about the policy change when reservations were made, and not even at check-in, when they handed out the eating vouchers. The serving staff explained the ‘Policy Change’ while we were eating breakfast! Needless to say, it put a displeasing damper on our stay!! When speaking with the manager there was no apology, nothing. I felt terrible for my sister having to pay so much, for so little that should have been included with the room price. So…be SURE that you each get a dining voucher for each person when you check-in.
Would I stay here again…probably not.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family