“Too sweet”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I would have enjoyed this meal if not for the excessive sweetness of the meal. Virtually all the food was sweet and sour. I felt sickly after eating, and if it was not for a friend buying this meal, would have left the food. The cooking was excellent and would probably be enjoyed by virtually all other diners, unfortunately I cannot tolerate sweet and sour.

4  Thank MolariLondo

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Visited for Sunday lunch. Apart from traditional roast choice, there was also some a la carte choices. There were vegetarian starters and main. The food was all well presented, and very tasty. Will definitely visit again.

1  Thank Olaivas
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We came here for a family birthday on a Sunday and it was truly a fitting meal for our family celebration. I'm not a fan of Sunday dinner and avoid it if possible but the meal I had here was more than enough to convince me otherwise. The flavours, the quality and the simple care taken over our six meals was wonderful.

Thank you for a brilliant time.

1  Thank Jayne L
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My last review of dining here was a 5 star review. However the most recent visit showed a decline in quality, hence the 3 star rating.

We ate on a Saturday night, in the restaurant.

The food was the main reason for this been only a 3 star review. Portion size is quite small. When I order a black pudding scotch egg, at approx £7, I expect to get the whole egg, not half a scotch egg. The menu should clearly say half a portion if that is the way it is served. By serving half a scotch egg this tells me that the egg was not cooked to order, it had been cooked in advance and probably microwaved warm. Also a scotch egg should be have a soft yolk. The one I was served was a very overlooked hard boiled egg, it was no different to what one would expect from a supermarket.

The rack of lamb with slow cooked lamb pie was excellent, but the vegetable garnish was of inferior quality. The carrots were boiled to within an inch of their lives and not seasoned.

Front of house staff were very welcoming and engaging. But attention to detail is missing. If you take the bread basket from the table, please also clear the side plates and butter. If I say I won't be having water on the table please remove the water glasses. Little things I know but it shows attention to detail.

2  Thank matthewvl
Reviewed 23 April 2014

1. Open Monday evening (OK it was a Bank Holiday, but many were closed!).
2. Excellent service, led by Chris the co-owner (with his sister).
3. Menu would suit the needs of most. We had 2 starters, fish & chips and 2 pork dishes, 3 large glasses of good white and red wine + bottle of Cider.
4. £80 inc. tip & drinks for three, so reasonable.
5. I'm a coeliac so had checked beforehand and true to their word they couldn't have done more for me. My pork dish was changed from black pudding to pear and beetroot and was fabulous.
6. The ambience was OK if somewhat dated. Chris explained he had plans to address this and that it was part of a bigger picture.
7. Clientele tended to be older folk. Perhaps with a more modern interior a younger profile would be attracted?

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our visit and we wish Chris and his sister every success.

3  Thank Spinneyman