“Quick Sunday Lunch”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Sapperton
Price range: US$8 - US$56
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: 'Best Pub' award in the 2017 'Western Daily Press' Food and Farming Awards and we're over the moon! Situated in the heart of the Cotswolds in the beautiful village of Sapperton, we are a busy yet beautiful old pub. Frequented all year round by walkers, riders, bikers and discerning diners and locals alike. We pride ourselves on consistently being one of the very best pubs in the Cotswolds (and the country, according to our lovely regulars!) for food, drink and relaxed but professional hospitality. The Bell was one of the first real 'gastro' pubs in the early 2000's. We continue to serve up the very best of fresh, regional and seasonal produce, specialising in British dishes, regional beers, cocktails and wines personally and painstakingly selected by ourselves on our many wine trips around the globe. Although we're famous for our top notch food, we're not just a rural restaurant. We welcome well behaved dogs, horses and children for either a casual pop in visit or a pre-booked meal.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We booked Sunday lunch at the Bell at the last minute before we arrived from visiting friends in Stroud. Great looking establishment (although there are a lot of similar looking pubs like this in the Cotswolds) with a large Car Park. Table was reserved for us and the Sunday Roasts of Pork for me and Beef for Mrs KFJH were outstanding. Couldn't fault them, simple food superbly delivered, have already made mental note to visit again.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

A stunning pub in a stereotypical surrounding. The varied menu provided excellent choice and the service was polite and efficient. The food was excellent and the portions generous. The surroundings are very relaxing and you could easily spend an afternoon in the sunshine.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I travelled from South Wales to meet my best friend here for lunch last Saturday having read some great reviews online.

I loved the location as I pulled up outside and the pub is just gorgeous, very stylish and smart with lovely indoor and outdoor eating areas. My friend and I ordered red pepper hummus to start but were served taramasalata which wasn't all that pleasant to taste, it was extremely strong. When the waitress came to see if we were ready for our mains we asked if she could check why we had received taramasalata and not the red pepper hummus we had ordered - but then she never bothered to come back and tell us. For mains I had the haddock and my friend had the sea bass - both were very tasty as were the puddings. The Eton Mess is huge and very yummy!

For pudding I enjoyed the dark chocolate cheesecake which was beautiful. When the waitress came to clear our plates she dropped my fork right onto my lap which unfortunately bounced a few times before falling on the floor - I was wearing brand new white jeans and the chocolate smudged all over them...accidents happen, I completely understand that and would have been as embarrassed as her had she been but instead of saying sorry the waitress just stood there and said 'oh dear i've ruined your white jeans' before walking off. There was no offer to get me a cloth to clean the marks or any attempt to say sorry. I was gobsmacked. Because of the mess caused I had to go and get changed (thankfully I had another pair of jeans in the car!) so that I didn't have to sit there self-conscious for the rest of the afternoon.

After lunch we sat in the garden and enjoyed the sunshine in this lovely little Cotswolds spot. When we received our bill I was surprised to see that we had been asked to pay for a starter we had not even ordered and...having washed my jeans 5 times with various different cleaning products trialled the chocolate stains still remain which is really upsetting. Particularly for a lunch you have driven 100 miles for!!

It could have been so lovely but instead I left feeling really quite frustrated. It is a shame that because they are busy and clearly doing so well that they don't feel they need to work on customer service. It goes a very long way indeed.

4  Thank HellasWales
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

This pub is just stunning, its the stereotypical country pub that I just adore. The service was spot on with a nice menu and wine list. I visited on a Saturday night with my partner and was pleased to see the pub was already filling up at 7.15! We had a very pleasant experience and the food was good quality.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We booked for a party of 14 very hungry glider pilots after all travelling up from the south coast. We had phoned our menu choices ahead a few days previous. On arrival we were friendly greeted and shown to a reserved room (the Garden Room). Very attractive room with comfy chairs and a well laid out table. All the food was served on time with no mistakes and was quite delicious. Everyone commented on how friendly and efficient the service was. Good beers too!