“Dissapointed”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Sapperton
Price range: US$8 - US$53
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: 'Best Pub' award in the 2017 'Western Daily Press' Food and Farming Awards and we're over the moon! Situated in the heart of the Cotswolds in the beautiful village of Sapperton, we are a busy yet beautiful old pub. Frequented all year round by walkers, riders, bikers and discerning diners and locals alike. We pride ourselves on consistently being one of the very best pubs in the Cotswolds (and the country, according to our lovely regulars!) for food, drink and relaxed but professional hospitality. The Bell was one of the first real 'gastro' pubs in the early 2000's. We continue to serve up the very best of fresh, regional and seasonal produce, specialising in British dishes, regional beers, cocktails and wines personally and painstakingly selected by ourselves on our many wine trips around the globe. Although we're famous for our top notch food, we're not just a rural restaurant. We welcome well behaved dogs, horses and children for either a casual pop in visit or a pre-booked meal.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Normally I have had great times at the Bell, however this weekend has changed that. Had a hugely overpriced meal here, left a comment on facebook stating that and I must assume it was the owner that replied calling me a name I cant use on here, then deleted my comment only to leave a good one behind. I dont think ill be coming back.

2  Thank drew t
U1325MRchrisw, Owner at The Bell at Sapperton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Drew,

Sorry again. I believe it was you who gave us feedback on the £10 hotdog? Yes, we did remove the comment (both mine and yours!), as we thought it was an unfortunate affair.

Shame that this has obviously rubbed you up the wrong way... and all for the misunderstanding over a hotdog and the accompanying pasta and salad!!

Do come back and, as I said, you were (and still are) welcome to call us on 01285 760298 so that we can put an end to this and be friends again?

Cheers,

Peter

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This pub is beautifully laid out, great decor and a real feel-good vibe the minute you walk in. The staff are so helpful and friendly. The wine was gorgeous, the food was stunning and we enjoyed every minute. There is nothing average about this pub so dismiss any of the negative comments on here. It is truly lovely.

1  Thank Emma J
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Fine establishment, bit out in the sticks. just paid £10 for a sausage in a Tesco bap. The only reason we paid £10 was because I was sold on the proviso that it was more than a just a sausage! He was not wrong...it came with a dap of condiment and a napkin.

1  Thank Dale K
U1325MRchrisw, Owner at The Bell at Sapperton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Ouch - thank you for your BBQ Hot Dog review today Dale.
Thanks for saying fine establishment.

Sorry, but your review is unfair though. We are not '£10 a sausage', hence I have had to contact Tripadvisor.
Our BBQ hotdogs (from specialist sausage suppliers, and with 'as much as you want salad and pasta as an accompaniment by the way) are £10 and ave gone a storm today. As for the Tesco comment - this is pretty hurtful to a small privately owned business that prides itself on carefully sourcing its produce.

We would have gladly given you your £10 back had we known you were so unhappy.

If you are still near, please introduce yourself.

Peter

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I took my husband for supper for his birthday, having four kids we don’t leave the house often so this was a special visit as we managed to get a babysitter!

The pub is stunning, beautifully decorated and in a charming location but the food did not match up to any of these wonderful qualities and we left very hungry!

We did not receive any kind of welcome, just came in and stood rather awkwardly at the bar - there are so many entrances, it was difficult to work out where to place ourselves to get attention!

We were seated at our table and had a very attentive and polite waitress and immediately brought some water (which I always think is a big plus when arriving!)

We did spend quite a while pondering over the menu as nothing seemed to take our fancy. My husband had a watery prawn cocktail with bread lying in the water sauce which had gone soggy. Flavourless. I had the asparagus with hollandaise and poached egg. If I am being fussy, the egg was slightly under cooked and the sauce needed seasoning, but it was pleasant enough.

Sausage and mash for the husband, we can only describe that as cheap Supermarket sausages lying in a bowl of gravy soup (which made the mash very graining and claggy). I had the smoked salmon as a main (I joked to my husband they couldn’t go wrong! Argh but they did!!) the salmon was massively over smoked, with an unpalatable crispy rind around each slice and it was then covered in raw onions - so much I couldn’t get them off. I also ordered a side of runner beans and instead received some more asparagus. When we questioned they said they had run out of runner beans, surely I should have been made aware of that before so I could have re ordered something else?

It really is a beautiful pub and we had thought we had found a gem and maybe we will return if the quality of the food improves. But to be paying premium prices we expected to be at least serviced edible food!

1  Thank Jonathan L
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On the last leg of a southern England road trip we were directed to this charming pub by the owner of our holiday let. Upon arriving we asked if our dogs were allowed inside and the lovely staffer said yes, anywhere you like. There are several rooms to choose from and the decor is absolutely lovely. The staff as a whole could not have been better. Engaged, charming, efficient not a wrong step anywhere. They also brought a bowl or water and treats over for the dogs straightaway. The food was terrific and obviously made from scratch. We weren't in any hurry so lingered over a sensational lemon posset and expressos. We are here a week and have already booked a table for Sunday lunch!