“A Saturday Night Staple”

El Meson Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 104 Restaurants in Plainfield
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I eat here probably twice a month. Either location is fine but we prefer the old location unless it's nice outside then we go to the new one and sit on the deck out back. The margaritas are always done right, so good. We've tried everything and have never been unsatisfied. We are always happy after leaving there.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We usually go there when we want a quick dinner or to celebrate after a sporting event or school function because they get the food out so fast. The prices are great and the fried ice-cream is a nice treat!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Staff is always friendly, smiling. Service is quick, food is great, prices are reasonable. Love to come here when visiting in Plainfield. Only complaint is that we can't convince them to open a restaurant in our town in Michigan!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

In a word, "disappointed." I really was looking forward to having dinner at El Meson based on previous reviews. Candidly, I can't find much to recommend it. If anyone looks at any of my prior restaurant/hotel reviews, they would find that that is unusual for me.

I had a "top shelf" margarita that was over-priced, and virtually devoid of tequila. Also tasted as if it was made with a bottled mix. My wife ordered a "Tequilla Sunrise." It's basically tequila, orange juice and grenadine. They couldn't make it for her because they didn't have the "right ingredients." What bar doesn't have tequila, orange juice, and grenadine?

I ordered steak fajitas. I think they were probably the worst that I have ever had, and I've ordered them hundreds of times. Dry, overdone, lukewarm, and with virtually no vegetables. I didn't finish what they brought, which was an absolute first. My wife ordered a chimichanga which was okay, but was presented with some sort of cream sauce on the top. We've never seen that before.

I think the restaurant tries hard and wants to do well, but I would never go back.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

My family decided to eat Mexican food during recent road trip. Our hotel staff recommended El Meson as the best option in Plainfield, IN. Despite been busy on a Saturday night, the hostess was able to find a nice table for our family near the window. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable of the menu, (you will be surprise how many servers don't know their menu...). Every night El Meson offers drink and food specials, that night the margaritas were excellent! The chips were served warm and the salsa was freshly made with a nice cilantro accent. The mixed fajitas were great, in particular the quality of the chorizo. The beans were unusually spicy, and a bit overcooked. The tamales and the chimichangas were good, prepared with fresh ingredients, including the corn masa (corn dough). The chile con queso was OK, this can be improved by improving the quality of the cheese (queso blanco). Also, the dessert menu could be improve, yet the portions were nice. Considering the service, quality and taste of the food and friendly environment, El Meson provides an unique option for travelers and locals, alike, in Plainfield. Highly recommended.