“Disappointed”

Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portage
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I have only stayed at other Jellystone and it was nice. I was very surprised when my family arrived at this campground. They were many very run down permanent sites and a lot of paces around the park just seemed unkept and dirty. I saw a lot of trash laying on the ground. The restrooms toilets were not functioning part of the time and were out of toilet paper for hours. Also, it seemed as if the park patrol with their red and blue lights seemed to be in action a lot. I do not know why nor do I really want to know. People were very loud well into the night. Also, it was fun trying to shield my cbildren from the other campers foul language, paticularly f bombs. My kids did have fun swimming and the Saturday night fireworks were good. I am surprised there are not higher regulations set for this campground. It was definitely not our thing and my family will not be returning. I travel quite a bit and believe that I leave fair feedback. I dont usually leave bad reviews.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank April A
There are newer reviews for Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Let me start by saying I have stayed at other Jellystone campgrounds and they were awesome. I was very excited to share this with my family.

Our first impression of the campground was while driving. We actually drove PAST it to get to it and jokingly said to each other,"look that's where we're staying!" We soon came to find out it was no joke, that was it.

After driving through a rough and run down part of town we see the sign for our destination, Jellystone Camp and Resort.The sign was on the left side of the street, which was odd to me, and arriving in the dark was even more confusing. On the way in to the campground, you pass a severely run down mobile home court. We had our doors locked already, but really started to wonder if this was a good idea to be there.

As we pulled through the gate, they had our reservations and we were able to proceed right to our site. We were staying for 5 nights. As we pulled into our site (after a nights rain) we come to realize the area in which to park our trailer was mud. There was a bit of " gravel" at the end, but in order to hook up, that was no use to us. Next to us was a concrete slab, but it had a leaky water hook up, so we didn't ask to move.

Wanting to make the best of this trip, we rented a 4 person bike. The men who work at the rental booth were all very nice. We also rented a golf cart as we would be trick or treating later. We took a tour of the campground. We decided that our children would most definately not be swimming while we were here. It was like a community pool, and we weren't quite sure of the community. There is a very nice " adult only" pool by the ranger station, and I would have let our kids swim there.

The majority of sites appear to be seasonal occupants. Some were very well kept, most weren't . It leads me to wonder if they have standards for this.

Golf carts . Everyone gets around on golf carts. Back and forth , all day, all night , complete with headlights.

Along the entire length of camp on one side is a 2 sets if train tracks . What I found odd, was that during the day you hear the train. At night however you have the value added whistle to accompany the train. We timed it, it was approximately 4 times an hour.

Running the entire length of camp on the other side was I-94. Thankfully our air conditioner or fan could drown this out.

At the base of camp is a water treatment plant. It smells. It is close to the play area and pool and tennis courts. We stayed away.

Wifi. If you can actually call that a benefit of staying here. It was very difficult to sign on most of the time. We had to call several times so they could reset it.

The bathrooms. They had a fresh coat of paint, which was nice, but they were right at that line where I weighed the pros and cons of actually using it. The latches on the doors were broken. I also think there should be a place to put your soap and shampoo , as opposed to on the floor. We all showered with our flip flips on.

It was obvious to us that you need not have a personality if you worked in the guard towers at the base of camp or in the food court.

The ladies at the Ranger station were very nice . We liked them . They were always smiling and helpful.

The mini golf was very nice as well. We also enjoyed the paddle boats.

In closing a quote from my 8 year old daughter ," mom, I was afraid this place wasn't going to be nice. I was right. I don't really want to go to anymore Jellystones." This breaks my heart. As I said before, this was not my experience at any of the other Jellystones I had camped at.

Attached are photos. Some are the mobile home park that you pass, some are of the places surrounding our campsite.

Running the entire length of cam

• Stayed: August 2012
6  Thank TravelingmomMJ
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My family has stayed at three other Jellystone Parks and had great experiences. Until our stay in Portage, I would have given a blanket "Yes!" to anyone who asked if Jellystone Parks were well-kept. I thought they were all held to the same high standard.

We arrived in the late afternoon (I'm not certain what time) on July 21. The gate person was courteous and sent us on to the registration building. I went in, checked in and was given our site number on Beaver Boulevard. As we drove to our site, we were completely blown away by the conditions of the campground. The sites were ugly: campers and sheds in disrepair, garbage piled and abandoned vehicles everywhere. There was very little grass; mostly the campsites were dirt (not even gravel). We drove up to our site and I actually felt sick when I looked at it. Immediately to our left was a site with a moldy camper surrounded by tall weeds, four golf carts, garbage everywhere, overturned broken lawn furniture and - the worst - a golf cart lying on its side in the roadway. Completely unacceptable.

We drove back to the registration building and I explained what I had seen. She was not surprised and didn’t even question what I was saying. She didn’t think there were any other sites open. I pressed further and, with some sighing and resignation, she found three other sites we could choose from. We drove to the next site listed (Boo Boo Avenue) and found it to be a little better than the first; the surrounding campers did not appear to be quite as run-down. We were considering this site when the train went by. Everyone sitting outside their campers had to stop talking and wait for the train to go past. I said to my husband, "Well, at least it’s not honking." Then it honked and we knew it would be a long horrible night in a tent if we stayed there.

The second option (Sunflower Road) was also near the tracks.

The third site option, the one we selected, was on Canyon Avenue. While the site was not near the tracks, it was maybe 100 yards from the freeway. We opted for the constant noise rather than the “shock-me-awake” noise of the train and its horn. While we set up our tent on the rock of the driveway – there were no level spots in the “grass” area as the grass was just tufts of overgrown weeds – our daughter collected a plastic grocery bag full of garbage from our site’s previous tenants. Plastic forks, knives and spoons, aluminum foil, water bottles, soda cans, straws and wrappers, a bar of soap and sponge, and cellophane were just some of the items she picked up.

After we were set up, we changed into our suits and headed for the pool. It was closed. While our daughter tried hard not to cry, I was wishing there were another campground option close by. But because wi-fi is only available in the camp buildings, there was no way I could go online to find something else for my family.

While I understand that there are limitations when sites are “sold”, there really should be some standards put in place. We saw broken windows repaired with pillows stuffed in the opening, sites with more than 100 lawn ornaments crammed in their small space, loud golf carts late into the night (many campgrounds only allow the electric version), piles of broken lawn furniture and many, many moldy and run-down campers with tall weeds growing around them. Our primary concern is that we just did not feel safe. The atmosphere was one of a poor neighborhood. This campground, with a large percentage of the 900+ sites run-down, was by far the worst I have ever seen.

We slept awfully that night with the noise and unsafe feeling and all agreed we would have been better off sleeping in the back of our SUV. We left the park before 8am the next morning.

I feel as though the employee who handled our registration was doing the best she could with the circumstances. She just appeared resigned to the situation and her behavior led me to believe she was not a novice to this situation. I honestly felt badly for her.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Let me start out by saying we've gone to many campgrounds, and I have never written a negative review. But this time, I feel it's necessary to warn other campers, so they do not make the same bad decision.

First, this is mainly a large community of permanent residents. It seems that the campsites are placed anywhere where a spot is not occupied within the community.

As we were traveling with our camper, and joined by our parents in ther camper, we asked for 2 spots together. Maybe that made a difference in our site location. But, we were placed right in front of a processing building. We believe it was for sewage, but I can't say for sure. All I can be certain of...is that it smelled terrible! We like to sit outside, in the evening, and due to the smell it was not even an option.

They have 3 pools in one area. If you can dodge the golf carts that are used by the residents, the pools are fairly large and there's also an arcade. This is the community rec area and was packed when we went at 5:30 on a Satuday night. They did have three life guards, which is good, but there were a lot of kids, so it was necessary.

Generally we like to sleep in until around 8. Our air conditioner drowns out the sound of passing trains and pretty much any ourtside noise But we were all jolted awake, to what sounded like a loud gunshot at 7 a.m. I guess it gave us a good reason to get started early, so we packed up quickly and left.

As we pulled out of the campground, there were 3 cop cars arresting a man. I know that it could happen anywhere, but it sort of was the topping on the entire experience.

This would not be a campground that I recommend. There are many others in the area. It would probably be a smart decision to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012
8  Thank aljtwo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
#2 of 5 in Chesterton
Super 8 Portage
Super 8 Portage
#6 of 12 in Portage

Been to Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort? Share your experiences!