“Excellent service and great amenities!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Portage
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Excellent service and great amenities!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have never written a review for anything in my 42 years but I had to write about my experience.

My family and I had the pleasure to stay at Country Inn & Suites from 6/27-6/29. We were there to relax on the beach and visit the Dunes. I have never been to the area and was considering going once again to South Haven, MI. However, since it was closer for us (we live in Indianapolis) we decided to take a chance and go to the Indiana Dunes and stay at your hotel. I am very glad we did. We were very pleased with the OUTSTANDING service of the entire staff! Karen Todd greeted us with a warm and inviting welcome and made every accommodation to make sure we were checked in and out with ease and speed. It was a pleasure to do business with her since we were on vacation in Portage to RELAX!

Even though during our stay, there were also many other guests there for a kids baseball tournament, the environment was not hectic and chaotic. I was nice to meet other families and talk to them about the tournament. Everyone seemed to be relaxed and comfortable while enjoying the terrific amenities.

My kids (ages 5, 11, 17) loved the big pool and great kiddie pool with slide as well as the game room and air hockey! My wife and I loved the hot tube. We all loved the tasty, and abundant breakfast!

The pool area, kitchen, workout room and suites were very clean and well maintained. I cannot say enough kind things about the entire staff! They are great examples of how to provide outstanding service in the hospitality industry. The all deserve kudos and acknowledgment.

The women (sorry, I did not take their names) who maintained and breakfast area were very friendly and efficient. They greeted me warmly with smiles and always said hello and good morning when I entered the dining area. They were very personable, warm and quick to keep the area clean and stocked with food. What a great way to start the day. That is how hospitality should be, but sadly is not always that case at other hotels. Please thanks them for me.

I also want to acknowledge the cleaning woman (I do not know her name, she was the young black women). She also greeted us warmly with a smile and hello, good morning. It may seem like a small thing but those simple greetings from everyone on the staff made us feel that everyone was happy that we were there at the hotel. Often times, when you are being provided service, it seems that you are inconveniencing those who are providing the service to you. Not the case at Country Inn & Suites.

Last but not least, I want to mention Kevin. I am not sure of his title, he may have been maintenance since I noticed him taking good care of the facility but it could have also been concierge! Not only did he always have a big smile and warm greeting of hello whenever we would see him; but he went out of his way to notice me and other guest in the workout room and brought us both a bottle of water while we were working out! Talk about service, wow! That is probably not in his job description but is another example of the outstanding service and customer-centric focus of the entire staff.

Your staff is excellent and they make the hotel a wonderful place to stay. Their attitude really shows that your company and employees not “say” that value the customer, but they prove it by providing personal attention to the guests.

I strongly recommend that you stay at Country Inn & Suites. We had a great experience, we will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
JIm_Daly, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you so much for your detailed review of your recent stay at our property. We are very pleased you decided to stay with us and decided to pass up on South Haven this time around. It was a pleasure meeting you and your family.

We hope that the rest of your summer is great and hope that on your next family outing that you will come back to Portage to see us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We booked the family suite for 3 nights, instead they gave us a king suite with no beds for the kids and won't do anything to fix it. We called customer service they said they close at 6 ??? Really you close at 6 and will not do anything to fix your mistake so now our kids will be sleeping on a couch for $150 a night. We are or we're also club Carlson members you think our loyalty to them would make a difference but it does not. not even a discount for messing up our reservation. I guess my club Carlson membership just expired!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
We are very proud of the work our brand does for us and I am sorry that a mistake was made with your reservation. They may have closed at 6pm in the evening but we are here at the property 24/7/365 and happy to try to resolve any issues for you. They, our brand and we do our very best but sometimes we make a mistake as happened in your case. I apologize for this mistake and hope that it has not changed your mind about Country Inn & Suites as a brand and hope that you will be back again soon.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 23 June 2014

If you happen to need a place to stay while on your way to Chicago, this hotel is really fabulous! You will spend half the money and can wake up the next day and drive a comfortable 45-50 minutes right into the Windy City, refreshed after a wonderful night's stay and a fine breakfast buffet--for a family of four with breakfast included, a mere $150. Great bargain on this room (king size bed and attached living area with sleeper sofa) with a just-above continental breakfast, we will return in the very near future. Nearby is the fun, serving fabulous fare steak house, Quaker Steak--you can walk there, and it's great eatery for a small family with young children. We did not check out the pool, but a few families seemed to be enjoying this feature. The bathroom was spotless and roomy enough and the linens were quite nice (not the Ritz, but not Motel 6). Don't bother booking elsewhere. You will be very happy here!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for the time you took to review your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and that great breakfast you mentioned.

We are so lucky to be located where we are because we have such a fine choice of restaurants and things to do without our guests having to drive. There is even a nature walk here in our complex and walking and jogging paths that are the best around.

Enjoy the rest of your summer and please be sure to come back and see us soon.
Southgate, Michigan
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Since last stay, they have redecorated this location. It's a really comfortable hotel with people who really seem to care about the guests who stay in the location. The breakfast is always on time, hot and really more than you would expect. The hotel is clean and recently decorated. The AC is one of the best I have had at a hotel - the fan stays on all night if you put it on Medium. Beds have foam tops.
I've never used the pool, but it looks really nice. Rooms are bright and Bathroom is bright. The water softener is not turned up too high. All in all, I won't stay anywhere else at this exit, even though there are several choices.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are really nice - 101, 201, etc - they have a nice view over the desk
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hugh C
JIm_Daly, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Hugh thank you very much for your kind words. We are glad the room was so comfortable and agree entirely that being able to control the temp in the room when you are sleeping is very important.

Our temper-pedic beds are a great hit with our guests and you are another testament to that.

Take care Hugh, have a great summer and come back soon!
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was by far the most comfortable hotel bed I've slept in. I think they use foam tops(?). The breakfast was also outstanding. Fresh fruit, plenty of options. The most plentiful I've seen of hotels that offer the free morning breakfast buffets. Clean, quiet room. Friendly staff. I stayed in four hotels over four nights while driving around Indiana, and this one was the best! If you're into outdoor sports, it's right by a huge Bass Pros Shop.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TravelHoo2
Thank you for your very kind comments about your experience at our property.

The beds in our rooms have Temper-pedic mattresses. We are asked dozens of times a month by guests about our mattresses and how they can get one for home since this is the best nights sleep they had had in ages.

We hope to see you again very soon. Please enjoy the rest of your summer and remember us the next time you are in the area.
Warsaw, Indiana
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel was great! Very clean, friendly staff, good location, delicious warm breakfast, awesome pool/splash pad for the kids! Even the beds were comfortable! I recommend this hotel to anyone! Great value!!

• Stayed April 2014
I have to start by saying that I love your profile picture, the little girl is adorable.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your time at our property. We are so glad that you enjoyed the experience and hope that you will come back to see again very soon.
Northern Indiana
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Have stayed at a half-dozen CIS and have had Concierge Elite status in the past. I can say that this facility rates with the best of them. Checked in and was greeted by the manager .. Jim. Check-in was quick and even though the lobby and hallway were being tiled ... the construction crew made the best of it for the guests. They were polite and considerate. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The hotel was clean and under going a upgrade of rooms. The pools were clean and well maintained. When I say pools .. the hotel has a children's pool and a regular pool for adults as well as a hot tub. All are well maintained. The complimentary breakfast was tasty and the presentation was well done. The breakfast area was clean and the staff was friendly and attentive. My wife and I along with several grandchildren are returning for spring break. The kids will love the pools and the nearby Bass Pro Shop. I highly recommend this hotel. BTW, there is a Longhorn Steakhouse next door.

Room Tip: We had the "King Room" and it was very roomy, clean and well laid out for doing business o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. We are pleased your stay went so well and very happy to see that you will be back with the grand children to see again soon.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and future travelers.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Best Western Plus Portage Hotel & Suites
Best Western Indian Oak
Best Western Indian Oak
#2 of 5 in Chesterton
Holiday Inn Express Portage

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage? Share your experiences!