“Outstanding”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Portland
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I expect more when I stay(and) pay more for the Holiday Inn Express brand. This property in Portland Indiana did not disappoint. Very friendly helpful staff. Very clean, comfortable rooms. A great breakfast and a sparking pool. Everything was great! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HoosierGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

What an awesome review you've given us! Thank you so very much. I will be certain to pass along your kind words to the entire staff. We strive to make each stay the best and do hope to see you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Overall, I give this hotel location a Average because of a couple of negative items that overshadow the many other fine points of this hotel.
First the positive: The hotel is very, very clean. Both the lobby, breakfast area, and my room (316) were spotless. Thumbs up for that. The front desk personnel were very friendly also and the breakfast layout and food was also first class.
Just a couple of items to note for improvement:
1) Why would the heavy drape to shut at night for the window be 8 inches not wide enough. I laughed when I tried to close this night time drape / shade when I closed one side and looked at a 8 inch gap on the other side of the window. It was bad enough because of this that I could not block the parking lot light out of the room, but it must be really bad in the summer when the sun is up at 6am. The worst part is when I mentioned it to the front desk clerk she said "Yes, I think I've seen this at other Holiday Inn Express hotels" - what does that have to do with it is stupid to have in the room I was in during my stay.
2) I understand trying to protect the beds, but is it necessary to have this thick rubberized type cover under the sheet on the bed where I end up sweating and sleeping poor. It ended up feeling like I was sleeping in a plastic bag. I don't know what this thing is, but what I do know is I don't sleep well on top of it and it is not used at the competition - so what will my decision be for my next business trip in the area ?
Overall the two items above are too bad. The hotel overall is first rate.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
HoosierGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for taking time to post this review. I did recently send an email to you in regards to the two issues you had at our hotel. Please know there is actually a second darkening shade that pulls from the other side that was tucked in behind all the layers of drapes and sheers, and is easy to overlook. I sincerely apologize the front desk clerk did not take the time to explain this to you. As for the mattress pad, we would be more than willing to remove it from the bed any time you would care to stay with us, we do have other types that can be used that may be more suited for you.

Thank for so much for the kind words in regards to the cleanliness of the hotel as well as the friendliness of our staff and the breakfast we serve. We do try very hard to take care of our guests, and do hope you will return that we may prove your comments are heard.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I can definitely recommend the Holiday Inn Express on Holiday Dr in Portland, IN. We have stayed here many times before on our annual visit to Portland.

We stayed in Room #323, which is the Executive suite. It has two queen beds, plenty of pillows labeled Soft and Firm, a small refrigerator, microwave, sink, coffee maker, large, flat-screen TV, and a desk. It has an extra room with a table, chairs, sofa, and large flat-screen TV. It is excellent for getting work done on the computer or reading or watching TV in the middle of the night when one can’t sleep. A family could easily stay here and have enough space. Also, it’s on the third floor, so no one is above you, tromping around.

Overall, the room was really clean, new, and nicely decorated. It gave the impression that management cared about keeping the place looking nice, which makes it more comfortable for guests.

The front desk staff was really nice, friendly, and efficient. Deanne that ran the breakfast service was AWESOME. She was very friendly and greeted each guest unless it was really busy. She was constantly restocking food and cleaning – she was always in motion. One morning, the room was packed with diners and she worked really hard to keep everyone happy and get them what they needed. When the omelets had ham in them, I asked if she could make one with just cheese and she was happy to make that for me. She’s a winner.

Some minor details that could use attention: 1) The pool was cloudy and had too much chlorine in it. I tried to get in, but felt that the chlorine was too strong. I would have loved to have gone for a swim. 2) The tub faucet leaked water when in shower mode. 3) There was something black under the rim of the toilet. I didn’t inspect it, but I could see it in the reflection in the mirror. 4) The tissues were super rough and low quality. Even a slightly better quality would be an improvement. 5) The air intake for the room near the window was dirty and needed to be wiped.

All in all, I will definitely stay here again and can definitely recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Portland to other guests.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
HoosierGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

What a thorough review of our hotel, thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Your kind words are so appreciated. And I appreciate the couple of items you felt need attention. Please know I will have my staff working on these immediately. Your feedback is priceless to us, it gives us the opportunity to look at our procedures and tweak where necessary. Hope to see you back real soon!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Not many choices in the area, but his is a nice one. This looks like a new location. The rooms are very clean and well appointed. He breakfast bar is more than adequate to get you started in the morning. They even have a pancake machine!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
HoosierGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Always nice to have a great review of our hotel! We are now 5 years old yet still hearing we look brand new. We have a terrific staff that keeps things well taken care of, first and foremost our guests! We look forward to having you back again!

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel to attend a funeral which was held close to Portland. The hotel is very clean and tastefully decorated. Check in was fast and efficient. Plenty of free parking. Our room was very clean and had two queen sized beds. Very spacious bathroom. Did not notice any noise from other rooms or outside the hotel. The swimming pool is small, but adequate. The breakfast buffet was good and there was several choices of items. An attendant was on hand to restock the food and make sure you were happy with everything. There is an elevator so you don't have to climb steps. Very comfortable beds also. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
HoosierGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Your kind words mean so much the staff and I! Thank you for sharing your experience. We hope to see you back again in the future .

Reviewed 14 April 2013

This was our first stay here, and were very pleased. Had a room with a king bed, was suprised that there was no microwave or fridge, but that was okay, very clean, comfertable beds, friendly staff. Breakfast was very good. Will definately stay here again.

Room Tip: if you need a microwave or fridge ask
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
HoosierGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel and staff. We strive to make each and every stay the best it can be for each guest and their families. We look forward to seeing you back again in the future!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

The hotel is room was standard king nothing special, clean, no issues. Breakfast selection is good. Staff was courteous. Workout room was good, 2 squeaky treadmills and a bike, a TV and clean workout towels and a water station. Walmart close by and various fast food places. If you have to stay in Portland, this is the place.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
HoosierGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Thank you for your compliments of our hotel and staff. We strive to do our best and hope it shows in how we care for our guests. Hope to see you back again soon!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Portland? Share your experiences!