“Decent, but noisy and smells of smoke”

Baymont Inn & Suites Rensselaer
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rensselaer
Atlanta, Georgia
“Decent, but noisy and smells of smoke”
Reviewed 17 November 2010

The hotel was decent with nice staff and tasty breakfast. However, the hallways smelled of cigarette smoke. Our non-smoking room didn't smell, but you notice it as soon as you exit your room. Rooms were very spacious. Also, the hotel has little insulation. We could hear the nearby interstate as well as what sounded like a herd of elephants at 2am in the room above us. In terms of location, there aren't many other hotels in the area, so this could be your only option. It's clean, but definitely not impressive in sound-proofing or smells.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Swimmer418

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 1 July 2010

The staff was great ..and my boys loved the pool and the yummy breakfast ...very nice place!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Jemmy46
detroit
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We were in Rensselaer for a family reunion, and it was either this place or two very scary-looking budget hotels. The rooms were, thankfully, nice and clean, the beds nice and firm, the bathroom adequate, the free breakfast above-average. The place was pet-friendly, with several foo-foo dogs in evidence. And the free wireless Internet was actually quite fast. The drawbacks: thin doors and walls let you hear a little too much of what's going on around you; and the "outdoor pool" is a tiny little joke -- I mean, it's like an overgrown bathtub. Nevertheless, it was 95 degrees, so we went in, and it was refreshing. Also, c'mon, get rid of the cheap old 25-inch tube TVs already.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank madmatthew
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 May 2010

We were traveling across Indiana and wanting to make a stop. We found this Holiday Inn Express in a small Indiana Town on 65. The clerks were pleasant and helped in everyway. Very Clean and a great Hot Breakfast

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tazrotts
Indianapolis, in
Reviewed 6 April 2007

Not impressed. Often use Holiday Inn Express and this was very poor in comparison. On a cold night, I arrive to a room at midnight with the air conditioning on full blast. Loud hallways.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank docbfree

Travellers are raving about these Rensselaer hotels

KY
Reviewed 14 October 2006

Without a doubt, this is the worst HIE I've stayed at (and I've stayed at quite a few).

The biggest problem I had was with the pervasively snotty attitude of the staff. From check-in to check-out, I felt like I was just an inconvenience to them. There were signs about "policies" EVERYWHERE in this hotel - mostly, unprofessional looking typed and laminated signs with grammar errors. Here is an example:

_____
Dear Guest,

Due to the popularity of our guest room amenities our housekeeping department now offers these items for sale.

<gives a list of towels, etc>

Each Guest room attendant is responsible for maintaining the guest room items. Should you decide to take these articles from your room instead of obtaining them from the Executive Housekeeper, we will assume you approve of a corresponding charge to you account.

____

I know this is the exact text, because I took the sign. They didn't list a charge for the sign. Since it was a homemade copy/laminate job, I figure 50 cents max.

I understand that some hotels have a problem with theft, but I have seen the issuehandled MUCH more professionally. Also, this is only one example. There were signs at the coffee urn (about not filling up your personal coffee mug!), under the phone receiver, etc etc. If there were a drinking fountain, there probably would have been something about standing in line and going one at a time. All of these "policies" just made me feel like I was back in the third grade. Not what I look for from the 'hospitality' industry.

The staff was just as surly in person. The front desk clerk actually rolled her eyes at me when I said I didn't have my HIE number with me, and tried to tell me she could not look it up. (Not true - the normally immensely helpful staff at other HIE locations has done it for me before). And we DID NOT GET OUR WAKE UP CALL, which to me is just inexcusable.

The hotel looks new on the outside, but is dingy and worn on the inside. The rooms have two hard desk chairs, no couch or armchair. The beds have the old style scratchy bedspread and thin fuzzy blanket, not the new and wonderful HIE bedding. This was a real disappointment, as we had just returned from Europe and were looking forward to some American comfort. I thought the whole point of the Holiday Inn brands was consistency, which made it doubly disappointing.

All in all, you'd be better off staying at a Super 8 or something similar. Head down 65 to Lafayette for more and better options.

Stayed October 2006
3 Thank ennove29
195646, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Rensselaer, responded to this review, 30 July 2009
We were under the past owners of this property at the time of these reviews. Since the purchase of this property in 07 we have gone through the entire property. Our Staff takes pride in how our guest are treated and work to make each and every visit the best it can be. Thank you
Lenoir, NC
Reviewed 15 September 2006

Our stay in this hotel was pleasant. We did have an issue with the toilet clogging and the desk clerk seemed bothered that she had to get me a plunger and no newspaper was available on site, but the hotel was quiet and clean which are most important to me.

• Liked — Quiet and clean
  • Disliked — No onsitie newpaper
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank alldeb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rensselaer
Comfort Suites
#1 of 2 in Hebron
Interstate Motel - Rensselaer
Super 8 Hebron Lowell Area
Red Roof Inn and Suites Kentland

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Rensselaer? Share your experiences!