“The menu goes on and on”

The Olde Richmond Inn
Ranked #4 of 108 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I am a fan of restaurants in old homes, and this one fit the bill. One of I must think only two or so "fine" dining locations in Richmond, it was one of the most extensive menus I have seen, with many variations of fish beef and fowl, plus the longest list of specials I have ever seen. I had a chicken picatta which was very flavorful and my husband had a filet with bleu cheese. It was quite underdone and had to be sent back, but to the chef's credit, returned just right. Portions were large, and the pricing as expected ( though did not understand why a substitution in the house vegetable would incur a $3.50 extra charge as if one had ordered a side) Service was attentive, though could have done without the cleaning of empty tables around us ( Windex and appetizers do not mix) nor of the clanging of set ups of drinkware and cups on the same nearby tables as we were eating. To keep the "fine" in the dining, the ambiance needed to be uninterrupted

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I spent two nights in Richmond and this looked like the best place in town. I enjoyed the first dinner so I went back the second evening too.

On the first evening I was seated in the casual dining room adjacent to the bar. It was about 8:30 on a weeknight and there was only one other table occupied. The TV at the bar was either mute or set at very low volume, so it was peaceful.

I had a New York Strip, done very rare, just as I like it. Dinner comes with a selection of soup, salad or fruit cup, veggie and starch. The veggie du jour was snap peas and I selected the French fries. Prices are modest for the quality and quantity of the food and also for the wine. I had two glasses of Black Opal, a very pleasing cabernet/merlot blend. The glass was very generous and only $6.95. For dessert I had the chocolate peanut butter pie. Yummy!

Being an architecture nut, the second night I asked to be seated in the more formal dining room, which was the parlor of a late-19th or early 20th Century house. The windows are stained glass and there’s a fireplace that’s probably welcoming in the winter. It was 85 degrees outside when I was there so the fire wasn’t lit. I had the room to myself but wasn’t neglected. Service is professional without being fussy.

This time I ordered the roast duckling. The snap peas had been so delicious that I had a repeat and rice pilaf for the starch. The duckling was delicious. However, I should warn that it’s a half duck and you’ll have to do the carving yourself. It’s been years since I deconstructed a half duck, but the anatomy came back as I went along. Another two glasses of Black Opal complimented the duck nicely. For dessert I had the 3 layer chocolate cake, half of which went with me in a doggie box and was a nice afternoon snack the next day.

There are an abundance of historic sites within an hour’s drive of Richmond so the town makes a good base for exploring the area and the Old Richmond Inn is a pleasure to come “home” to in the evening.

1  Thank Barbara W
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Good mood food at a great price! Worth stopping to see because it is old sweet and historical! Dont miss out on this

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The Olde Richmond Inn deserves all the praise heaped upon it. The food was excellent. The staff we prompt, kind and always looking for an opportunity to provide great service. The interior is lovely with lots of exposed wood and plush carpet. Really, this restaurant is pretty much perfect!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We always go to the Richmond Inn for our anniversaries. Last night was especially good! My wife had her favorite Roast Duck (specially ordered a week early) and I had Rack of Lamb. The 1/2 duck filled the large dinner plate and was outstanding. My wife DREAMED about it all night! I loved my lamb. The large Martinis were fabulous as always. Andrea was our new great waitress. The Chef and the Hostess make the restaurant truly World Class! Worth the trip!