“a great place to eat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Fast food
Elkhart, Indiana, United States
“a great place to eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

This place is right down in the historic district. The food is homemade and it is GREAT. The owner (Pete) served us himself, and provided good conversation as well as good service. He explained to us how he makes his special tenderloin- one fried, and one grilled. I highly reccommend taking the time to visit this restaurant.

• Visited July 2013

Villisca, Iowa
“I love the food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Every time I am in Richmond visiting family I find my way here once or twice. Always great service and food!

• Visited August 2012
Richmond, Indiana, United States
“brenda c”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

i like the pancake sandwich and hash browns love this place.the place is keeped very clean from the dining to the kitchen and the rest rooms is very clean.the owners is very nice and care about the costmers and there needs love this place for breakfast and lunch.

Visited April 2013
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

This is my third visit to Pete's--it's one of my favorite stops and a best kept secret in the area! The cozy and unassuming decor really make this an inviting and unique little place. Each time I've been here, I've been greeted by a friendly server, immediately offered something to drink and given time to review the menu, ask questions and place my order. Inevitably, Pete himself will come out and ask how things are. They really do care that diners are having a good experience here! I've had the fish tacos (yum!) and thought they were comparable and perhaps even better than those I'd recently had on the NC coast! The flavors were very balanced and the sauce was just right. I enjoyed a breakfast sandwich earlier this summer--served on a bagel and on my last visit I had a grilled tenderloin sandwich. The tenderloin was very tender and juicy; the bun fresh and tasty and the toppings more than generous. The onion rings are worth the whole trip! They are deliciously crunchy and not too greasy. Interesting that all of the sauces and salad dressings are homemade. If you are looking for quaint, quiet, and slightly quirky; this might be a "find" for you as it was for me!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, Indiana
“Good service and food made with care”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

While I'm not a breakfast person, I occasionally eat breakfast when I'm on the road and need to be more awake. Today, with three hours of sleep, there was more need than usual, although I wasn't out on the road.

This place is located at the five-way intersection at Fort Wayne Avenue, North D Street, North 6th Street, and Richmond Avenue. Parking seems to be available on Fort Wayne Avenue or Neff Street, just to the north. There is something that looks like a parking lot on the south side, but there doesn't seem to be a way to access it. When I was younger, we never went to this area, unless there was something to do with a train. The only places to eat were the bars of that time.

Since Sylvania's (now Little Sheba's) opened, the area surrounding the Pennsylvania RR depot has become better and safer. I suppose what was there has gone to Main Street instead.

This place used to be a glass store, and I think it's much better as a restaurant. As I entered, I didn't know much to expect. There were a few people seated, but no one to greet me. I didn't see a sign about seating yourself, so I waited. A friendly man arrived from the back of the building, and told me to sit anywhere.

I had a seat, he brought utensils and a menu, and he asked if I wanted coffee. Within a minute, he brought the apple juice I requested, and asked if I needed more time. I didn't, and ordered biscuits and gravy (and at his assurance that it was quite large, a half-order), and hash browns.

Within a few minutes the food arrived. The hash browns seemed a bit glossy, but it's not unusual to see some cooks use more oil than others. However, they were brown and white, which is typical, unlike Cracker Barrel where the hash browns weren't brown at all. The gravy was like brown country gravy, almost a chocolate milk shake colour, and lacked any sausage, which seemed unusual. The biscuits were yellow-ish and both heavy and a bit tough.

As I started to eat, I noticed that everything seemed to lack seasoning. Of course, there are many people who prefer it this way and I can't blame them for doing something safe. Some salt and pepper added, the food was satisfactory, but not exciting or particularly flavourful. The price at $6.08 for half-order biscuits and gravy, hash browns, and apple juice was reasonable.

I guess I'll have to return for the Baja Fish Tacos, since I haven't had great fish tacos since I left California and Florida. The menu has a number of interesting items, and I'm certainly willing to give it another go.

• Visited August 2012