“Casino stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rising Sun
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
“Casino stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2008

My wife and I visited the Grand Victoria for the first time on a casino visit. We were very impressed with the friendliness of the staff. The bellman Chris was exceptionally nice. The main attraction of the hotel is the casino, so I would not recommend this hotel for a family visit. The staff did a good job cleaning the hotel, but the carpet in the corridor was a little worn. Our room overlooked the golf course. We didn't play, but the course looked challenging. We ate at both the Wellington Steak house and the Riverview Buffet. I would rate the 4 star steakhouse as OK. My wife and I both enjoyed the seafood buffet. We are non-smokers and really didn't notice anymore problems with smoke than other casinos that we have visited. In fact we thought that their no-smoking area was actually larger than most. The casino has a very large selection of penny machines. The table game area was limited to one section. We had very friendly dealers at all the tables we played.

• Liked — Casino
  • Disliked — nothing enjoyed everything
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank CardFanDubG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
W.Pa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2008

We were a bus tour and I know most people in hotels probably don't like to see a bus tour of Sr. citizens come to stay as most are pretty critical but don't you realize we have been lots of places , done a lot of things and maybe you should take our complaints to heart.
This place is very smoke filled. There is no sense in having no smoking areas because with the lay out it is just as bad as the smoking areas.
The Pavillion area, the lobby and the buffet needs to be non smoking. there is enough smoking area in the casino for smokers.
The non smoking in the casino needs to be on the main floor as the smoke just rises up to the 2nd floor anyway.
The pool was very nice but very slippery walking around the pool. some one is going to slip, fall and get really hurt. Must be something that can be done about that.
Room was clean but obviously not a non smoking room like we requested. Don't think you have enough of them and makes for a bad situation at all times by the looks of the reviews.

• Stayed February 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank redcaboose
Tipp City Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2008

We stayed at Grand Victoria again and it was better this time. This time we paid extra for the premium bedding & view package. The bedding was very soft and had a fluffy comforter. We had a view of the river and casino but we were on the first floor so it was not much of a view. Because it was Valentine's Day we had 2 red roses left by our turned down bed. The bathrooms are the same but we got "premium" soaps. Supper and breakfast were both good. It was wings night for supper with a very large variety. Other nights have seafood and steak nights according to the sign by the buffet. They had some new games for gambling. The only complaint about the gaming is the smoke. There is a non-smoking section but the better games are in the smoking area. The staff was friendly and helpful. Great people at the buffet. We'll be going back next time we need a quick gambling trip.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Smoke filled casino
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2007

I stayed at the Grand Victoria this week for the first time after spending several nights at the Argosy and the Belterra Casino, which are on either side of the Grand Vic. I had a free room with a nice view of the riverboat. My room was clean and quiet; the carpet in the halls is showing a little wear, but that is my biggest beef with the hotel. The man who brought my luggage to the room was very friendly, and so was the front desk clerk. I also found the craps dealers to be very personable. The buffett could be a little better, but I am a very picky eater. The town of Rising Sun is a real jewel of a place; it's very quaint and far from the maddening crowd. I would recommend this hotel to people looking for a slower pace than exists at the other casinos along the Ohio River in Indiana.

• Liked — Very comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Early check out time at eleven, but I was allowed to check out an hour later.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
4 Thank cosybully
McCordsville, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2006

I stayed there with my 12 yr old niece for a comped room. The room view was wonderful but the sofa was rock hard and uncomfortable to sit on. My niece had a great time in the indoor pool, jaccuzzi, sauna, and work out room which was open until midnight. It's separated from the rooms so using the pool doesn't disturb other guests. The breakfast buffet was adequate and we ate until we were quite content. Although I didn't gamble while I was there because I stayed with her, we still had a great time.

• Liked — Indoor pool
  • Disliked — Hard sofa/furniture
  • Tips/Secrets — Reserve early, arrive early
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
Stuart, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2006

My mother and I recently stayed here for the first time while visiting relatives in Rising Sun. The hotel is ok, nothing special. It is in a very beautiful area of Indiana along the Ohio River. The front desk staff are impersonal. We are used to having a friendly greeting at hotels but not one person smiled. In fact, they acted like this was just a "job". The rooms are average, no extras such as newspaper and internet. The rooms are far away from the lobby and casino. My elderly mother had a hard time doing all of the walking. The casino is very smokey. Be prepared to use eye drops and to wash all of the clothes you are wearing into the casino. There is a non smoking room which was a big help. The machines are tight and didn't pay. We are used to Vegas payouts. The buffet restaurant was the nicest place at the hotel. Plenty of selections, its hard to decide. The Friday night buffet is a seafood one. You can't miss for $20.00. Get there early cause the line goes way out the front of the hotel. I wouldn't wait an hour for a table. Valet parking is a plus and its free except for a tip. I probably wouldn't stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank dej
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2005

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for the first time in late March. We traveled with a group of senior citizens and had reservations for three nights made well in advance. We ALL reserved Non-Smoking Rooms. When we arrived and got off the elevator on our floor, we were practically overcome with the smell of cigarette smoke. When we then proceeded to our rooms, they all reeked of smoke and had ashtrays everywhere! Of course, we all then immediately went down to the front desk to find out why we had been given Smoking Rooms when we requested Non-Smoking. The employee behind the desk said "She was sorry but that they had over-booked the Non-Smoking Rooms and that all they had were Smoking Rooms". I explained that I have Asthma and that I couldn't possibly stay in a Smoking Room. She offered to have someone use Room Spray but I declined that offer because the spray might have been even more harmful to my health. She then said they have a machine that could purge the room of all smoke odors but that we would have to give up our room keys for two hours while that was done. We agreed to that and so did everyone else that was with us on this trip. We then proceeded to the casino to "waste time" while this was being done. After the two hours had passed, we returned to the desk, got our keys and went to our room. The ashtrays were still in place and nothing had changed as far as the smell of cigarette smoke in the room was concerned. At that point, we contacted our Tour Guide who, along with all of us proceeded to the lobby again and asked to talk to the Manager. The Manager was rude and insensitive to our problem. He told the Tour Guide and us that "the bus loads of senior citizens were a big pain and that if he had his way, none of them would stay at his hotel". He also said there were no Non-Smoking Rooms available and there was nothing more he could do. We spent as little time in our smokey room for the next two days as possible. When we returned home, I both wrote to the hotel directly and e-mailed them. I never received any response to either my letter or my e-mail but they still continue to send me brochures!

Regarding the casino, there are four floors, all very crowded and smokey. The top floor has a Non-Smoking area but the smoke does filter up to it.

The best thing about this place is the buffet. The food is very good and beautifully presented. There is a very nice variety of things to select from and they are constantly refilling the buffet which is good. Anything and everything we ate there (we ate all of our meals there) was wonderful and the servers were courteous and attentive.

We travel ALOT and have gone to many different casino/resorts. This was our absolute worst experience and we have no intention of EVER returning there.

Stayed March 2005
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Florence/Cincinnati Airport
Hampton Inn Dry Ridge
Hampton Inn Dry Ridge
#1 of 4 in Dry Ridge

Been to Rising Star Casino Resort? Share your experiences!