“Loved it here!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Santa's Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Claus
Santa's Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Santa Claus
“Loved it here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I was reading through the reviews prior to my visit, so I was a little apprehensive, but overall I was really pleased! The people were friendly, the room was very clean, and it was really close to Holiday World. My fiance and I really enjoyed our little get away to Santa Claus Indiana and we'll be sure to return soon!

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
1 Thank Brandy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I'm not sure how I feel about Santa's Lodge. I wasn't overly impressed especially considering they're one of the few places you can stay in Santa Claus. The room was average. The bed was average. The TV was old. The wifi was so-so.

When we checked in and went to our room, there was no running water. After calling the front desk we were informed that there was a problem and they were working. Don't you think they should have told us that 10 minutes before when they handed us our room key? Luckily it wasn't too much longer before the problem was solved.

We didn't use the pools, but they looked clean. The indoor pool however had a very strong chlorine odor. It was so strong you could smell it down the hallway.

The breakfast buffet left a lot to be desired. The food for the most part was prepackaged items, like pancakes and french toast sticks. And it was the same thing every day. A little variety would have been nice. We opted not to eat lunch or dinner here based on the breakfast.

The building does need some TLC, especially in the back.

Would I stay here again? Maybe. The biggest benefit is it's proximity to Holiday World.

3 Thank TULIPS3400
Christopher, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This place is disgusting! We stayed in the back where the paint is peeling and there was a smell stale cigarettes, the room was dirty, dusty and completely outdated....for $166 a night! I may have been less disappointed if I'd only paid $40. You are paying for proximity and the name and it is NOT worth it! Stay in Jasper, it is a lovely town with nice hotels worth the money and the few extra miles the next day.

Room Tip: Stay in Jasper, IN
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TAira1980
Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is clean. That is, obviously, the number one consideration when staying at a hotel. And I have no complaints about that at all. The room we stayed in was a Queen Deluxe, and we had a mini-fridge (clean and worked well) and a microwave (clean, but we didn't use it). A/C worked well.

We had no problem with the noise level - other than crappy parents allowing their children to run up and down the halls at 10:00 p.m. That's not a hotel problem; that's a parenting problem.

However, it is badly in need of updating - refreshed. The towels are small and thin, the sheets appear to be very old. The bed was not comfortable, even though it is, supposedly, a pillow top. Can't speak to the pillows, as I always bring my own. We stayed on the back side, and the paint is peeling badly on the exterior. Quite a bit of trash in the landscaping. The TV is about 20 years old.

The Wi-Fi is practically non-existent. After three of us tried for an hour to connect, I called the front desk and asked if there was a trick to it. I was told to "keep trying". Later that evening, we still couldn't connect, so I went to the front desk. The Wi-Fi connected immediately, and worked fine...until I went back to the room, where the connection was lost. It is possible that the management doesn't realize that there is a difference between offering free wi-fi - in common areas - and simply saying you offer free wi-fi. No lies being told, but very misleading. And I wonder if they even realize the difference.

I can not speak to the restaurant, as we did not eat there, other than to say that we did go downstairs to look at the afternoon/evening buffet and were not impressed. It all looked like pre-packaged, heat and eat. Not appetizing at all.

so, of course, since they offer a breakfast and dinner buffet, there is nothing offered in the morning in the lobby, besides coffee which is in one carraff, with packets of fake cream on the table. I have no doubt this hotel is making enough money that they could at least offer pastries and fruit.

Of course, the main thing this hotel has going for it is that it is, literally, 5 minutes from Holiday World. That being said, a shuttle would be nice.

This hotel is not awful, but truthfully, I would not stay here again, unless they make some improvements.

1 Thank amyandmattandkids
Greenfield, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

My daughter was supposed to be in a beauty pageant here, so we booked a room for this reason. Our pageant was cancelled, but we decided to still go to Holiday World and stay at the hotel.
The good - the decor was awesome. My mom and I spent about an hour taking pictures. My 8 year old was amazed. When we came in it was pouring rain and nighttime, so we didn't get to see the outside until this morning. I loved it as well. The gentleman on the night desk was very pleasant, and even called my husband by name when we walked outside once. That was kind of a big deal to me, as good personable service can make up for many things. We enjoyed the little gift shop. Our room was clean, a bit outdated, but I loved the "rustic" look of the furniture. I liked that there was a restaurant in the hotel. It was the closest to Holiday World, very convenient. I think the price was acceptable for what we got.
The bad - there was a spot on the inside of the bedspread (not the blanket) that appeared to be blood. The breakfast buffet was a bit pricey for what we got, next time I would probably consider going out to eat.
On the whole it was a good experience, and we would go again.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor, no stairs to climb and our room was centrally located between the front...
      Rooms
2 Thank Michelle B
TN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Can't believe I paid for this! Had to ask for a fly swatter. Flies in the room. There are so many things wrong with this place. Dirty.. Dusty..Just gross!!!
In you are on your way to Holiday World from TN your best bet is to stay in Owensboro. I know that is a long way from Holiday World..but it's worth it!
DON"T STAY HERE!!!

5 Thank tkljam
Fortville, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We have stayed here over the years and we were always satisfied, but this stay was not a good experience. We were told our room was in the back in the newer section. We drove to the back and found paint peeling from the exterior. These are non-smoking rooms, but the halls smell of smoke. For us having a room in the newer section, we have a very old tube TV with a terrible picture. We paid extra for pillow top beds and they were very uncomfortable!!! Now the worst part was when I pulled back the bedspread and found something all over the mattress covers. I'm not sure if it's old blood or a pop that was spilt all over it. Holiday World is wonderful, but I'm very disappointed with this hotel and Santa Claus as a town. It used to be so nice, but it seems like the town is on a decline.

Room Tip: They have free wifi, but I couldn't ever use it because too many people using it.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Red Roof Inn & Suites Ferdinand
Holiday Inn Express Tell City
Budget Host Stone's Motel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper

Been to Santa's Lodge? Share your experiences!