“Wouldn't stay here again”

Hometown Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Schererville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We checked in early because we were on our way to Chicago and weren't sure how late we would return. When we did return, we found that only one lamp in the room worked. We obtained some light bulbs from the front desk and then found that one lamp had a short circuit. The room was fairly clean, but not spotless. The shower had mold/mildew above the shower head. We checked out early morning and went on our way. I guess the price was okay for the area, but I would pay a little more the next time and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thwilliams

Reviewed 28 May 2013

This hotel is family owned and operated. They have no huge advertising, no fancy amenities like the national chains. The prices are lower. No free continental breakfast. (Have you ever had a decent continental breakfast in a hotel?) There are many places nearby that serve breakfast anyway. The room I stayed in was nice & clean. They do charge you when you check in. On check out, you leave your room key at the front counter--a self-check out.
This hotel is good if you dont like dealing with high-pressure sales people at hotels.com, who jack-up the price in advance, then sell rooms at a "discount", which is really no discount at all!
I plan to stay here again in the future. Location is on route 30 and keep in mind there will be some traffic noise.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank David G
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Stayed here on NYE. Booked a tub room, upon entering the room, noticed that were no towels, had to ask the front desk for them. Next, noticed thet the smoke alarm had the battery removed, if you're trying to be slick, at least put the cover back on. The straw that broke the camels back was the ice machine being broken. This was New Years Eve. We booked the room specifically to drink there and not drive. Kind of hard to mix drinks with no ice. The least they could have done was run across the street and buy some bags of ice.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Absolutely HORRIBLE!!!

Worst hotel I have ever been in! A few hours into our stay we found a black bug crawling around on the pillow! GROSS! The room was not nice at all. Lamp didn't work. Very dirty.
After we noticed the bug we decided we were not staying in that hotel and went to the front desk for a refund and the lady (who come to find out was the manager) said she couldn't do anything about it and we needed to speak to someone else. I called the next day and the guy who answered the phone said the lady at the front desk was the manager and they were not giving me a refund. He said she personally checked the room and found nothing. Basically accusing me of being a liar as the other review had stated. Also said they had pest control come in and found nothing. TERRIBLE customer service too. The guy I spoke to didn't even apologize for the inconvenience. He went on to say he has worked there for 6 years and they have never had any of these problems. Really? Then I read the review with the same problem!!

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE!!!
SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY TO STAY AT A NICE HOTEL!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chasidy H
Kal D, Manager at Hometown Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

I apologize for any inconvience on your stay, however
since we can check out the room at that time we did check
the room myself the next day but we took it step forward and
called our third party pest control expert and even they
did not find anything. Like as we said if we find anything
we would have refunded you completely.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

I was in town for a family function and three rooms were booked by myself and other members of my family, all adults. We showed up 20 minutes after check-in time and there was no one at the check-in desk, so we rang a bell. After several minutes of waiting, we rang the bell again. We allowed another several minutes to pass before we rang the bell a third time. Finally, a woman came to the desk, without even acknowledging or apologizing for how long we were waiting. Everything was disorganized--she was mistaken for how long we were staying and then asked us for money, even though we had already paid online. We then had to fill out contact information, which I would only assume they should already have had because we reserved these rooms and provided all this information online. We were finally handed our room key and the remote control for the TV(what, they have a problem with people stealing remotes?). We began to go upstairs before the housekeeper, who was walking around the hotel and cleaning in her BARE FEET told us, in a very rude and almost scolding manner, that one of our rooms wasn't clean because "she's only one person!". Mind you, she was also chatting away with the front desk person when she responded like this. Later, she did apologize by throwing the front desk person under the bus by blaming her that she wasn't told those rooms would be occupied, despite the fact that later there was no vacancy in the hotel that night anyways. After about 45 minutes, the room was finally ready, although it wasn't stocked with any soap. The next morning, my sister needed another towel in her room, and the housekeeper gave her a really hard time that she'd have to trade her that very second her dirty towel for a clean towel. Later that night, my cousin was walking back to her hotel room when one of the other guests at the hotel popped out of his room and grabbed her and pulled her unwillingly into his room. Thankfully, she was able to get out of his room again safely. I can see by all the other reviews our terrible experience wasn't an anomaly. Do NOT stay here. From the terrible service, to the unhygienic housekeeper, to the seedy people who stay there, the price isn't worth it--spend another $5 or $10 a night and sleep safely!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stacey C
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This hotel is the worst hotel I have ever been in. It's filthy and just plain terrible. About 8 hours into my stay my girlfriend and I noticed there were bugs in our bed. We told the person at the front desk and he decided to give us a room next door to the one we were already in! We told him that we weren't staying here and he told us to call the next day for a refund. The first lady I spoke to practically called me a liar (as if I would lie about something of this stature) and said they would need a full night to check. She said she would call me the next day (which she did not). I called them and spoke to another manager and they still would not give me my money back because they "didn't find anything wrong" even though my girlfriend had the bite marks all over her body. These people are pathetic, rude, cheap, and disrespectful. Trust me when I say they do not deserve to be in business.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel in general!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Traveler o
Kal D, Front Office Manager at Hometown Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

We are sorry for your inconvenience. I have looked into this issue and we even call our pest control the day after to find out there was no pest of any kind was found in that room. I can assure you we keep our hotel clean and pest free as we do regular maintaince on our entire hotel. Again apologize for any inconvience. We will give you 15% off of next stay.

Reviewed 2 November 2011

We checked in at 9 pm and each paid half. My boyfriend used his debit card and I paid cash. I was a mere $1.29 short on my end. I offered to pay the balance with my debit card, but was very rudely and abruptly told that there is a $30.00 limit on card purchases. I was asked to search my car for the money. I couldn’t believe what was happening. There I was at 9 o’clock at night searching through loose change in the parking lot. I feel greatly that the $1.29 should have been waived out of convenience, considering the amount was so small, we checked in 6 hours after check in began, and due to the vastly inconvenient and preposterous credit card policy. After the horribly long and inconvenient check in process was complete, we made our way to the room, only to discover both bedside lamps were not working properly, and trash from previous occupants still remained in the refrigerator. This proved to be rather inconvenient as we had to keep getting in and out of bed to turn the other lamps on and off, and had to refrain from using the refrigerator out of concerns regarding cleanliness and sanitation. Around 1am I placed a call to the front desk and requested some aspirin as my guest was suffering from a headache. I was shocked to discover that the establishment doesn’t carry such a basic amenity. On their website they claim that, “Our Hotel offers you all the comforts of home while you are away from home.” I would like to understand how a hotel can make such a claim when they don’t even offer basic amenities that cost pennies on the dollar to keep, and are found in medicine cabinets of most homes across the country. I feel that their website is false and misleading.

Despite all of this, the worst of our experience occurred the following morning before checkout. Several times we were awoken by houskeepers trying to enter the room beginning around 9 am. They disturbed us about 5 or 6 times before we finally left. There was no DO NOT DISTURB sign hanging on the door when we entered the room (I was under the impression all hotels offered these). Even so, if check out isn’t until 11am, and we clearly had not checked out yet, why would the staff have kept disturbing us every 15 minutes when they knew the room was still occupied? This is definitely a procedure the establishment has not mastered with its housekeeping staff, and clearly needs improved upon. At around 10:30 am I placed a call to the desk and asked for an extra hour to check out, seeing as we had been continually disturbed since 9 am. I was confident the desk attendant would make things right and offer us the extra hour complimentary. I was astonished when she demanded a $5 extra charge, knowing full and well we wouldn’t be able to pay it as we didn’t have any cash, only debit cards. I was instructed to give the housekeeper the money if we were to stay. Not even 10 minutes later, a housekeeper barges into the room to tell us that we have 15 minutes to vacate in a rather shrill, and unpleasant voice. Never in my life have I ever been practically thrown out of an establishment in a manner like this before, and it was the final straw for me.

These people are rude, unclean, and very stingy financially. Although the $59 a night room rate looks rather appealing, remember folks, you get what you pay for. Do yourself a favor, pay the extra money and go stay at a Courtyard Marriott or Hilton Garden Inn. These people are a waste of your time and money.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris R

We apologize for your inconvience. I understand your frustration as we no longer have that employee. I know we are not franchise as we do not have some of the amenities as other big chains would and that's why guest like that so could keep our rates affordable. Please try us again and would like to extend 15% off next time you are in our area. Again very sorry for your inconvience.