“Extremely Disappointed”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sellersburg
Liberty, Indiana
“Extremely Disappointed”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My family and I make an annual trip to Southern Indiana in the fall while my grandkids are out for fall break. We most generally stay at Comfort Inn's since we have a membership. I had reserved 4 rooms to accomodate our families. At the time of check-in, two of our grown children & families arrived several hours before we did. I received a phone call where they could not check-in because Comfort Inn needed a faxed copy of my debit card. I was not comfortable doing this so my daughter's used their own personal debit cards with the assurance from the Comfort Inn staff that when I arrived, they would reverse the charges from my daughters' accounts and charge mine. After we arrived in our room, the light fixture in the bathroom was hanging down with wires exposed as well as a leg on the table in our room had been broken and was screwed together rather haphazardly. When my husband notified the front desk of the light fixture, we were moved to another room. That room, the heat/air unit did not work, nor did they work properly in any of our childrens' rooms. My grandchildren wanted to go swimming. The water was very cold and were told the heater had been broken for a week. The next day when they wanted to swim, the pool had a closed sign on it. The staff said the lighting had quit and hopefuly their 3rd shift maintenance could fix it. Each time we left our rooms and came back, the key entry card did not work so we had to have it re-scanned. After returning home, my daughters verified with their banks if the charges had been reversed. Instead of being reversed, they were charged double and my account had also been charged for the 4 rooms I reserved. When we inquired with Comfort Inn, we were told the reversal was going to take place, to wait a couple days and re-check their bank accounts. I was so disappointed in the quality of the hotel as well as the service we received. No one seemed to want to take ownership in their jobs and when we brought problems to their attention, it was as if the staff didn't care.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bluffton, Indiana
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed here one night last week. I found the hotel staff very friendly. The room was clean, the breakfast was good & the price was right. It also has a nice indoor pool area. The hotel is right off of I-65 about 10 miles north of Louisville. It is a nice quiet convenient place to stay when doing business in southern Indiana or Louisville. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
comfortinn47172, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
I want to let know that we do appreciate you choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Sellersburg. It really makes me happy to know that we made your experience enjoyable! On behalf of all the staff here we wanted to thank you for all the nice comments and we hope to see you the next time you are visiting the area! We will continue to use all the feedback from all of our guests to make sure every visit is as great as the one before!
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I've actually stayed here (3) years in a row since I work the Kentucky Derby. For Derby weekend the rate is better than what you would find in Louisville and it is a straight shot onto the highway and into Louisville.

The rooms are standard, nothing fancy. As my rating title shows...if you need a room with a clean bed and a bathroom its fine. We stayed here for that very purpose since we were working at the track all day/evening.

The front desk staff is OK. The main guy that I have dealt with is very nice and remembers me despite only staying there for Derby weekend and a few Breeders Cups. I can't say that promptness is his middle name but I've also never been in a rush either. I've not had any issues with staff otherwise.

We were always out before the breakfast so i cannot speak to the quality of that.

There isn't much right next to the hotel aside from a gas station and a McDonalds.

Again, if you need a roof, clean bed, and bathroom and will be spending mainly your evenings there then its fine.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
comfortinn47172, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We do appreciate you staying with us and we do take all feedback from our guests seriously! We use this information to continue to improve our hotel and our staff. We try to make each guests stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. While we do know that over time every hotel shows signs of wear, we stay on top of all maintenence issues and update guest rooms as often as we can.
Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope that you continue to stay with us everytime you are in the Sellersburg/Louisville area.
Indiana
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We stopped into this hotel while traveling. The hotel was clean, but showing wear. We noticed some stains on the carpets in the hallway and other basic signs of age. The bed was comfortable and we slept well. The room was quiet. We arrived late and were one of the last to check out in the morning. We slept through all the other guests leaving. Overall, the hotel was below the quality I expected from a Comfort Inn.

The one bright spot of this hotel is the staff. We came down to get breakfast at 9:30 am to realize breakfast ended at 9:00am. The front desk clerk went out of her way to greet us and offer to brew us some coffee, even though breakfast was over! She could have just as easily sent us away because breakfast was over.

Though my overall rating of the hotel is poor, the attentive staff made me bring my rating up to average. Not my first choice of a hotel, but I would stay here again if I just needed a place to sleep while on the road.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
comfortinn47172, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
I Want to thank you for taking time to let us know how your stay at our hotel was. We value all of our guests and their satisfaction is our number one concern. We are working everyday to improve the quality of our hotel and our staff. By guests giving feed back this is how we know what we need to work on and improve. Once again, we appreciate you choosing our hotel to serve you and you taking the time to let us know how your stay was and we will use this to improve and we hope that the next time you come to Sellersburg you decide to stay at our hotel.
Colora, Maryland
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Plain and simple - don't stay here. The rooms are decent, but the management has poor character. I was smart enough to book a room 51 weeks in advance for this year's Kentucky Derby. It was a great rate. Made the mistake of having it at a 1-person room...granted it is a double-queen. Ooops. My bad. Still, the published rate for 1 or 2 people is THE SAME. So...I stayed in the room and when my buddy showed up, I wasn't at the room. I had put his name on the room. The owner wouldn't give him a key and decided to charge an extra $33 per person, per night. He went on to say, "How many people are you putting in this room, you already have an unbelievable rate because you reserved a year in advance." Basically, he was upset that he wasn't smart enough to figure out the reservation system, so he was going to extort extra money out of me. Well, it cost me $66 to get that room key, but it is to everyone's benefit who sees reviews. The management in this place is not trustworthy. They shouldn't be a Choice Hotels property. I have filed a formal complaint and hopefully they will be delisted.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Extortionists when you really need a room!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank EclipseSportswire
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I would rate the room as okay but the staff is terrible nasty. The night employee did not charge for our pet. The employee also did not inform us we had to sign a pet agreement, stay in a certain room & stay away from the front lobby with our tiny dog. The next morning, we figure he was the manager, got nasty with us for staying in a non-pet room. He showed us a paper showing what rooms we should have stayed in with our pet. He informed us we should have known the rules for pets. I asked how if the employee didn't instruct us. He said he didn't believe us. The man pointed to a paper on the wall next to the front doors. Sorry but I was tired & walked right past that sign. My husband said it's our job to pay the bill, not train the employees. We agreed to pay the pet fee, that was not a problem but he would not give us a print out of our bill. We left the hotel with a bad feeling about this man & his hotel. I hope all Comfort Inns aren't like this one. We won't be staying at this hotel again & I recommend you don't either.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank k w
I want to thank you for taking time to let us know how your stay at our hotel was. I'm really sorry about the incident you encountered at our hotel. We take our guest comments very seriously and use them to improve our hotel and staff. This should have not happened and please accept our sincerest apologies! Yes that is our pet policy and the front desk employee should have informed you of this when you checked in. Once again, thank you for taking time to comment and we do appologize and hope that the next time you come to Sellersburg you will stay with us again, we do appreciate your business.
Spring Lake, Michigan
Reviewed 24 March 2013

After staying at a few really great Comfort Inns on our trip it had to happen and we stayed a terrible one. As soon as we started to walk down the hall to the elevator and saw the dirty carpet I realized this was not like the others. The room seemed okay but when I went into bathroom the paint was off the wall and partial repaired. We got there late and slept skipped their breakfast and headed out. An email to Corp Office resulted in no response regarding this location. The Comfort Inn in Jeffersonville IN, three miles away , was fill when I called 800 number from the road to make a reservation and that should have been a clue. Never again at Sellersburg IN for us.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank randy f
comfortinn47172, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
I wanted to let you know that I appreciate you taking the time to give a review even if it's not one we like to get. I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at our hotel. We realize that there are some things that we need to update and repair at our hotel, and we are in the process of doing so. We take our guest comments very serious because they let us know where we need to improve and how we can make our guests stay more enjoyable. I would like to earn your business back, and show you that we do care about our guests and we are improving our hotel. If you come through Sellersburg again we would be delighted if you gave us a chance to change your mind about our hotel.
Thank You and Have A Great Day!!!
Melanie Meadows(Front Desk Manager)
and Mahesh Bhatt (General Manager)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sellersburg
Ramada Sellersburg/Louisville North
Days Inn & Suites Sellersburg
Best Western Green Tree Inn
Best Western Green Tree Inn
#1 of 7 in Clarksville
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Clarksville
Candlewood Suites Louisville North
Cobblestone Hotel and Suites Charlestown

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!