“Not Worth $80 A Night”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sellersburg
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I am a Choice Priveleges member so rather then staying at the Ramada nearby I thought that for the more expensive hotel our accomodations would be much better. Our experience at checkin I was told that to wait a minute until she was finsihed doing whatever she was doing.She quoted me $72 plus tax or $80 total including the full breakfast in the morning. The room was nice but while setting up the internet we noticed that there was no light above the desk which was difficult to see. When we each took a shower, the water didn't go down the drain so we were standing in water about 4 inches deep. Should have taken a bath instead. The bed was comfortable and since we arrived close to midnight, we just zonked out. We also asked for a wake up call that never came.
The full breakfast was poor. The area was filthy, the tables sticky and the orange juice watered down. Thankfully, there was a McDonalds next door. Probably should have checked the reviews first. Won't be stopping here again.

Room Tip: Check the reviews first before coming to this location.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 November 2013

When I checked in, the desk clerk paid no attention to my reservation request that I made for the location of my room. My reservation requested a room far away from elevators, ice and vending machines. The clerk initially gave me a room RIGHT NEXT TO THE ELEVATOR AND ICE AND VENDING MACHINES!!! I checked into the hotel about 2pm and the hotel was virtually empty and there were very few cars in the parking lot. I went back down to the desk and she relocated me to another suite far away from the elevator, ice and vending machines as I requested.

In my new room, room 223, there obviously had been a water leak as the paint was pealing from the walls and ceiling. At the bar area in the suite, the water at the bar sink was not turned on, thus that aspect that I paid extra for was useless. The sofa in the suite was stained and dirty.

During my stay at this hotel, the air fresheners were being replaced throughout the property. While the fragrance was pleasant, it was SO VERY PUNGENT that it caused us to sneeze and our eyes to water when we entered the hotel and as we approached an air freshener in the lobby or hallway. The air quality in the hotel room was not a problem.

The breakfast in the hotel was DREADFULL!! The ham that was served on 10/26 was tissue paper thin and dried out at 8am. The eggs served were a perfect 5", micro-waved, tasteless powdered eggs, the coffee pots were empty, and the gravy for the biscuits was slightly warm at best although it was in a "Crock-Pot". The desk clerk was managing the desk as well as the breakfast area and was overwhelmed with activities such as checking guests in and out and folding towels, while guests wanting to take advantage of the "Complimentary Breakfast looked at it and walked out. On subsequent days, we too looked at the breakfast and went to restaurants in the area. YET ANOTHER ASPECT OF WHAT I PAID FOR THAT WAS OF NO VALUE!!!

When I attempted to print my airline boarding passes the day prior to departure, there was no printer attached to the lobby computer. Instead, a sign was placed by the computer advising to send the document to be printed to the hotel as an e-mail and the hotel staff would print it at $ .25 per page. There was not an option to send my boarding pass to someone as an e-mail and I told the hotel desk clerk that. She said there was no other solution and walked away. ANOTHER FEATURE OF THE HOTEL THAT WAS USELESS!!!

I noted over the 4 days spent at this hotel that the one particular hotel staff person, possibly the owner or manager, constantly parked their Burgundy Honda Odyssey under the overhang at the front door. The vehicle stayed parked at the front door in excess of 14-15 hours every day. This caused vehicles to have to drive around the parked cars when there was a second vehicle parked under the overhang either checking in or out, or a delivery. Had there been inclement weather, this would have been a problem and inconvenience for guests, especially handicapped guests. There was also a white truck, perhaps a Chevy Avalanche that was constantly parked adjacent to the front overhang in a NO PARKING ZONE!!!

My view of the owners and managers of this hotel is that they have a total disregard for their guests!!! They seemed to be more interested on getting the guests in and out of the hotel and collecting their revenue. Instead, they need to focus more on the needs of the guests, the guest experience, and the perception that the guest is presented with by this property.

Finally, I must say that my suite was clean and comfortable despite being in somewhat of a state of disrepair. The only reason that I did not leave the hotel and relocate to another one is that the location met my needs for my stay and the competing hotels in the area had worse reviews on Trip Advisor that the Comfort Inn had.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My family and I make an annual trip to Southern Indiana in the fall while my grandkids are out for fall break. We most generally stay at Comfort Inn's since we have a membership. I had reserved 4 rooms to accomodate our families. At the time of check-in, two of our grown children & families arrived several hours before we did. I received a phone call where they could not check-in because Comfort Inn needed a faxed copy of my debit card. I was not comfortable doing this so my daughter's used their own personal debit cards with the assurance from the Comfort Inn staff that when I arrived, they would reverse the charges from my daughters' accounts and charge mine. After we arrived in our room, the light fixture in the bathroom was hanging down with wires exposed as well as a leg on the table in our room had been broken and was screwed together rather haphazardly. When my husband notified the front desk of the light fixture, we were moved to another room. That room, the heat/air unit did not work, nor did they work properly in any of our childrens' rooms. My grandchildren wanted to go swimming. The water was very cold and were told the heater had been broken for a week. The next day when they wanted to swim, the pool had a closed sign on it. The staff said the lighting had quit and hopefuly their 3rd shift maintenance could fix it. Each time we left our rooms and came back, the key entry card did not work so we had to have it re-scanned. After returning home, my daughters verified with their banks if the charges had been reversed. Instead of being reversed, they were charged double and my account had also been charged for the 4 rooms I reserved. When we inquired with Comfort Inn, we were told the reversal was going to take place, to wait a couple days and re-check their bank accounts. I was so disappointed in the quality of the hotel as well as the service we received. No one seemed to want to take ownership in their jobs and when we brought problems to their attention, it was as if the staff didn't care.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed here one night last week. I found the hotel staff very friendly. The room was clean, the breakfast was good & the price was right. It also has a nice indoor pool area. The hotel is right off of I-65 about 10 miles north of Louisville. It is a nice quiet convenient place to stay when doing business in southern Indiana or Louisville. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
comfortinn47172, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

I want to let know that we do appreciate you choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Sellersburg. It really makes me happy to know that we made your experience enjoyable! On behalf of all the staff here we wanted to thank you for all the nice comments and we hope to see you the next time you are visiting the area! We will continue to use all the feedback from all of our guests to make sure every visit is as great as the one before!

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I've actually stayed here (3) years in a row since I work the Kentucky Derby. For Derby weekend the rate is better than what you would find in Louisville and it is a straight shot onto the highway and into Louisville.

The rooms are standard, nothing fancy. As my rating title shows...if you need a room with a clean bed and a bathroom its fine. We stayed here for that very purpose since we were working at the track all day/evening.

The front desk staff is OK. The main guy that I have dealt with is very nice and remembers me despite only staying there for Derby weekend and a few Breeders Cups. I can't say that promptness is his middle name but I've also never been in a rush either. I've not had any issues with staff otherwise.

We were always out before the breakfast so i cannot speak to the quality of that.

There isn't much right next to the hotel aside from a gas station and a McDonalds.

Again, if you need a roof, clean bed, and bathroom and will be spending mainly your evenings there then its fine.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
comfortinn47172, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We do appreciate you staying with us and we do take all feedback from our guests seriously! We use this information to continue to improve our hotel and our staff. We try to make each guests stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. While we do know that over time every hotel shows signs of wear, we stay on top of all maintenence issues and update guest rooms as often as we can.
Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope that you continue to stay with us everytime you are in the Sellersburg/Louisville area.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We stopped into this hotel while traveling. The hotel was clean, but showing wear. We noticed some stains on the carpets in the hallway and other basic signs of age. The bed was comfortable and we slept well. The room was quiet. We arrived late and were one of the last to check out in the morning. We slept through all the other guests leaving. Overall, the hotel was below the quality I expected from a Comfort Inn.

The one bright spot of this hotel is the staff. We came down to get breakfast at 9:30 am to realize breakfast ended at 9:00am. The front desk clerk went out of her way to greet us and offer to brew us some coffee, even though breakfast was over! She could have just as easily sent us away because breakfast was over.

Though my overall rating of the hotel is poor, the attentive staff made me bring my rating up to average. Not my first choice of a hotel, but I would stay here again if I just needed a place to sleep while on the road.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
comfortinn47172, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

I Want to thank you for taking time to let us know how your stay at our hotel was. We value all of our guests and their satisfaction is our number one concern. We are working everyday to improve the quality of our hotel and our staff. By guests giving feed back this is how we know what we need to work on and improve. Once again, we appreciate you choosing our hotel to serve you and you taking the time to let us know how your stay was and we will use this to improve and we hope that the next time you come to Sellersburg you decide to stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Plain and simple - don't stay here. The rooms are decent, but the management has poor character. I was smart enough to book a room 51 weeks in advance for this year's Kentucky Derby. It was a great rate. Made the mistake of having it at a 1-person room...granted it is a double-queen. Ooops. My bad. Still, the published rate for 1 or 2 people is THE SAME. So...I stayed in the room and when my buddy showed up, I wasn't at the room. I had put his name on the room. The owner wouldn't give him a key and decided to charge an extra $33 per person, per night. He went on to say, "How many people are you putting in this room, you already have an unbelievable rate because you reserved a year in advance." Basically, he was upset that he wasn't smart enough to figure out the reservation system, so he was going to extort extra money out of me. Well, it cost me $66 to get that room key, but it is to everyone's benefit who sees reviews. The management in this place is not trustworthy. They shouldn't be a Choice Hotels property. I have filed a formal complaint and hopefully they will be delisted.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Extortionists when you really need a room!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank EclipseSportswire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sellersburg
Ramada Sellersburg/Louisville North
Days Inn & Suites Sellersburg
Holiday Inn Express New Albany
5 mi away
Best Western Green Tree Inn
Best Western Green Tree Inn
#2 of 7 in Clarksville

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!