“Do NOT stay”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Shelbyville
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My family and I stayed in 2 rooms at this hotel on 12/6-12/8. We usually stay in a different hotel but were forced to use this one because the Big 10 tournament was in town and our usual hotel was full. The hotel admittedly up'd the price because of the tournament which really made it much too pricey for what we got. The rooms are run down and appear dirty. The towels are small and thread bare and all of them were stained which made them appear dirty even though I THINK they were clean. Many of the electrical outlets did not have covers on them, so dangerous, esp with little kids. The smoke detector in both our rooms were dismantled and when we asked about that they stated they were probably taken down by previous guest who were trying to smoke in the room…what kind of excuse is that!!! Another issue is they are pet friendly, so every time we left our room the dogs across the hall would bark for 10min. To sum it all up, do not use this hotel unless absolutely necessary.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LY40

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Very Nice rooms. Working swimming pool and working wifi.
Good price. Changed to econolodge.
We will stay again if in the area.
Works out great with kids with a nice breakfast and a working swimming pool.

Room Tip: Good Breakfast and a working swimming pool makes is pleasant with kids.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank jt0027
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel because the Hampton Inn across the road was full and we had been driving all day and just wanted to stop for the night. The desk clerk was on the phone when we got there and had to wait 5-10 mins. for him to finish his conversation. The hotel itself looked run down and the pool area was closed with paper taped over the doors and windows (possible construction?) First impression was not good but as I said it was Sat. night and after a long day of travel we just wanted to stay somewhere. The room smelled musty. the shower area had what appeared to be black mold on the wall but there was also a black substance on the shower curtain and what appeared to be a black handprint on the wall by the sink so I don't really know what it was. When I pulled down the bedspread the sheet appeared to have some kind of an oily stain on it, although it may have been threadbare I couldn't really tell. I took the sheet to the desk and exchanged it for another one. Had trouble sleeping because of noise from people in the parking lot at some late hour. Short story, unless you are ABSOLUTELY desperate for a room go somewhere else, this place is a disaster.

Room Tip: Pick a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Randy G
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Owner is a thief who can hardly even speak English, so it was hard to resolve an issue. My credit card was charged and they made me pay again in cash once I arrived. I was charged twice and the owner wouldn't listen to me explain or pay attention to the proof I was trying to show him. Had to go through hours of trouble dealing with different people just to get refunded. Still waiting on that refund.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank carley5147
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I booked online for the good price, and it turned out very well.....The staff was friendly, and the rooms are kept clean...good wifi signal is always a plus...I plan on staying there every trip to Shelbyville.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Laura G
Reviewed 8 January 2013

staff is friendly.. but property need some work. carpet by pool is nesty... poor food items.. few items for breakfast.. only 4 or 5 itmes..pool is not working... sign on higway says indoor pool .. really ??

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mike b
Reviewed 3 January 2013

This is a hotel I wouldn't recommend to anyone. We noticed a very strong odor when we first opened the door to check in. A strong perfume smell, trying to cover up something. As soon as we walked past what once had been the pool I knew they were trying to cover up the over-powering smell of cholrine. They had newspaper over the windows and you could see under the door the floor was in pebbles. We had to put a towel against the bottom of our door trying to keep the odor out of our room. The walls were dirty, the chain lock was on a angle, the screen was ripped, there were stains on the recliner. I wouldn't walk on the carpet without my shoes. The corners of the floors were dirty.If it wasn't 28 degrees outside, I think I would rather have slept in my Jeep.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple