“Simple, clean, and quiet”

Farmstead Inn - Shipshewana
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Shipshewana
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Our room was large and simply furnished with solid oak furniture. We had two queen beds, two arm chairs, two sinks (one in bathroom and one in bedroom), and a desk. The room did not contain a fridge or microwave, but we were told we could use a microwave in the lobby. And oddly, our desk did not have a desk chair. This is a lovely, rambling hotel with the feeling of a lodge. There are fireplaces in common areas with couches and arm chairs. There’s a small gift shop. There are tables and chairs where guests played cards. We had a blast playing Ping-Pong in the evening. The indoor swimming pool and whirlpool looked inviting, but someone had propped open the door and the chlorine smell was fairly strong in that area. I don’t know if the pool area has sleeping rooms, but if chlorine fumes bother you, you might want to avoid rooms in this area. The hot breakfast buffet was in a large dining area near the pool and Ping-Pong area, and I noticed that in the morning, with the door to the swimming pool closed, I couldn’t smell chlorine at all.

Room Tip: If chlorine fumes bother you, ask for a room that is not near the indoor swimming pool. Or if you do...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 35805Jane_H_11

Reviewed 25 October 2013

This place was the host for a conference I attended and stayed here sight unseen. Check-in was real slow and could not have access to my room at 2pm. The room was large but did not have much in it. Seems like a lot of wasted space in the room as there was no recliner, sofa or other places to sit except desk chairs that were not very comfortable. Also no coffee machines, microwaves, or refrigerators. Tried to watch the World Series but the satellite system was down which reduced the selection of channels from 25 to around 8. Eventually I tried to watch the game on the Internet and was told by the front desk that the TV system and internet were one system which was down. Sure made for a long night. Bed was comfortable though but walls are thin with several children next door. As a reviewer stated earlier, the shower was not built for anyone over 5' tall. I had to squat to get water above my chest for the entire shower. Finally as I was checking out I looked around for a continental breakfast and did not see one. However, I was informed later that the breakfast is located in a building between the two hotel buildings. It sure would have been nice if someone would have informed me of that as I was checking out.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank William J
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We've stayed at the farmstead inn a few times as we like the location and the common area spread through the hotel where people can relax and talk. The check in is slower than most but the people are friendly. The rooms are clean as are the common areas. The parts that need improvement are the paper thin walls as you can hear some conversations and definately snoring from the adjacent rooms but this is not a biggy. The television only has a few fairly grainy channels meaning if you're not sleepy and have no paper to read there isn't much to do. We'll continue coming back but will bring ear plugs and plenty of reading materials and will be just fine. Try the Bluegate Inn or Essenhaus for really good meals.

1  Thank doug12345bb
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed September 15, 2013 for one night. This was probably the 4-5th time staying at this hotel. We like the convenience for the Shipshewana Flea Market as well as the downtown area. Our room was nice sized, quiet & clean. We had plenty of hot water for showers & great water pressure. My husband commented about how short the shower head is (he us 6') but I had no issues (I am 5'). The continental breakfast has many offerings including some hot items (biscuits & gravy, waffles). It is a great value for your money!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room.
4  Thank bevmc7
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here on a Tuesday night so we could do the flea market & a Blue Gate play. Our classic king room was very clean & so extra large they could have put more furniture in there and still not make the room feel small. I do have two dislikes, the first one is shower head is only about 5 feet high on the wall, I'm 6'3" which made it difficult for me. The second issue I have is the breakfast. The biscuit they served with gravy is the worst I've ever had anywhere & their sausage patties where also like rubber. Stay for the room but go somewhere else for breakfast.

3  Thank bigdoginindy
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed here again in Sept. As always the staff are super friendly. Even after we left our keys in our rooms(two families) three times during our stay, we were always greeted with a smile. The rooms are very clean, and I am in the cleaning business so I notice the little things. Hallways and stairs no dust built up. The pool area is always clean. Also the basketball half court and ping pong table is great to have for extra fun. Love all the super big areas to relax and the meeting areas where families can sit around tables to play games. The closeness to the shops, flea market , restaurants makes it easy to let your car sit . Great property outdoors lots of rockers and benches around the pond makes it very relaxing.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank kat234-12
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We spent two nights here Sept 2013 with a coach tour group from Saskatchewan. This is a wonderful complex with large hallways and wonderful seating areas on each room. The rooms and hallways were spotless as was the bedding. If you love personalized service you will appreciate this facility. e.g. We left the card on our door stating they did not have to make up our room. Imagine our surprise when we found a personalized note by our maid thanking us.

The breakfasts were also excellent. Be sure to visit the Meno-Hof center located 2 minutes out your front door across the little foot bridge. This is our fourth trip to Shipshewana since 2005 and we always have a wonderful time.

Summary: Shipshewana and especially this facility will relax you.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank klepper-geocaching
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipshewana
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
#1 of 6 in Goshen
Der Ruhe Blatz Motel
Der Ruhe Blatz Motel
#5 of 5 in Shipshewana

Been to Farmstead Inn - Shipshewana? Share your experiences!