“Warm and pristine”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Shipshewana
Indiana
“Warm and pristine”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

This hotel was a delightful surprise. My granddaughter and I spent two nights of her fall break and she did comment that she was the youngest person around.. The front desk was staffed by friendly people and the other staff members went out of their way to make sure everything was just right. The rooms were immaculate and the bedding was most comfortable. The breakfast was a welcome surprise with variety. It was busy but the lady running it was able to keep up with the crowd. I am always amazed at the relationships of staff members. This one was a happy, relaxed, and caring group. I will want to stay here again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem to be very good.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Indianatraveler44
VanBuren7780, Front Office Manager at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
I'm glad you and your granddaughter enjoyed your stay with us. We like to think that we are all part of a family here and glad that it has shown through for you. Thank you for your kind words. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
pittsburgh
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This was a very clean and well cared for hotel, Also very convenient to lots of activity's, Rooms were comfortable WIFI worked great. My handicapped room was set up very well, And made my trip much Moor comfortable. will definitely stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
VanBuren7780, Front Office Manager at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
I'm glad to hear we were able to accommodate all of your needs while you visited Shipshewana and hope to see you again in the future.
Detroit
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My husband and I had a nice escape to this hotel for the weekend in the jacuzzi suite. The hotel was very clean and well kept. The hotel was quiet - a lot of older people staying here and visiting Shipshewana. The breakfast bar was busy but the single staff member made sure everything was plentiful. We also swam in the the pool which was clean and had plenty of towels. Overall, it was a very nice stay and I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The jacuzzi is big and roomy and clean. After seeing the rest of the hotels in Shipshewana, I was g...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mom1213
VanBuren7780, Front Office Manager at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
I am glad to hear you had such an enjoyable time at our home and want to Thank you for your great recommendation & kind words.
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed in a King Sofa room on the 3rd floor. The layout is such that you enter into the living room area where there is a sofa, small desk table with two wooden chairs, a comfortable armchair, dresser and flat screen TV and is plenty large enough. Ahead of this is a short hallway with a good sized bathroom on one side and counter with a sink, microwave and small fridge on the other then at the far end is the bedroom which again is large enough with another flatscreen TV and a big window.

Our room was very clean...the HVAC, TV's & WiFi worked well and we had a great view out the bedroom window. The included breakfast was fine for us and included scrambled eggs and sausage patties.

The hotel is on the edge of town but from the parking lot to the centre of it is about a minute drive as Shipshewana is not very big anyways.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great recommendation, it validates our entire staff's effort on a daily basis.
monclova
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Too bad our visit started out sour, better not arrive early as you will be met by a very rude clerk barking at you " we can't possibly get you into you room before 3:00" I said what time is it, she said "2:40 and there is no way you can possibly come in early." I told her that the web site said check in was 2:00, then went outside with my mom to wait.
While waiting several people came in and checked in got thier keys and went to their rooms before 3:00, so I went back to the service desk to sign in, while the clerk was getting my papers ready I told her that I felt she was very rude to me earlier, she of course denied it and ask in what way she was rude, I told her she could have politely told me that our room would not be ready until 3:00, she said well that is what I said, and we have our lobby video taped, I told her I hope she watches it. I also told her that they need to change their website since it stated on there check in was at 2:00. Another costumer told her the same thing, but instead of her apologizing she just said yes I know. She said she would let me know when our room was ready, which she did not do, at 3:20 I went back to the desk for the 3rd time, finally got our keys. Good thing the rest of the staff were very polite, no complaints about our room. I see now that have corrected the check in time to 3:00 as of today's date 9/20/12.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
I would like to apologize for your experience at check-in during your stay with us. Our housekeepers and maintenance staff work very hard to make the rooms available by 3:00 every day. Unfortunately many days they are unable to finish prior to check-in time. I apologize for the lack of explanation as to why you were unable to enter your room and am glad you were still able to enjoy the remainder of your stay.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 24 August 2012 via mobile

A quiet extremely well kept hotel on the main street. While I did not partake of breakfast daily it was plentiful and substantial or light depending on your desire. I did find the coffee to resemble instant, no flavor but that seemed the case in the while area. I missed my cafe Verona!

The seating areas in the room along with frig allowed enjoyment of local treats. The hotel was a pleasure. It even had a guest laundry to permit packing of clean clothes for my next stop.

• Stayed August 2012
VanBuren7780, Front Office Manager at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! We've tried several brands of coffee, but we are always open to suggestions. :) Next time you will have to give us some hints.
P'burgh, NY
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Spent one night in Shipshewana while visiting some of the local attractions. The hotel was a pretty basic no-frills kind of place. The room was clean and pretty comfortable but not exactly a four-star affair. The only major issue was that the floors provided virtually no sound proofing. Unfortunately we had what seemed to be a couple of small children above us and their normal playing around sounded like they were jumping on our heads. They turned in early though so things were OK by the time we went to sleep.
Shipshewana is an interesting place but I didn't realize it was a dry town. So if you'd like a class of wine or an after dinner drink, better bring your own. One other tip about the town. The Mercantile Center is a sort of Amish mall. Unfortunately, most of the items for sale there are not real hand-crafted goods, but are actually cheap foreign knock-offs. If you want the real Amish goods you'll need to visit the smaller local family-run shops.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nearlycanadian
First I would like to apologize for the noise. We try to keep any families with children on 1st floor for just that reason. It doesn't matter how small the feet, it always ends up sounding like a herd of elephants. Second, a good tip for you would be to travel some of the back roads around town. You will find more Amish businesses, because most of them have shops on their personal property. Third, definitely stop and get your adult beverages on your way to town. I'll let you in on a little "secret", too. We are the only hotel in town that even allows alcohol, so keep that in mind while booking. That you for all of your input, and I hope you have an even better experience if/when you come back to Shipshewana.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipshewana
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
#4 of 5 in Shipshewana
Der Ruhe Blatz Motel
Der Ruhe Blatz Motel
#5 of 5 in Shipshewana

Been to The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana? Share your experiences!