“Very Nice”

The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Shipshewana
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This one has it all. Close to the shops, clean and comfortable. Friendly staff who greeted us. Whirlpool room was roomy and tub for 2 excellent. One suggestion. Around the room and the tub they had lots of greenery which adds a nice touch especially around the large tub BUT it really needed to be dusted or updated. It had a dusty, faded kind of look that spoiled an otherwise beautifully decorated room. We would stay there again when visiting Shipshewana.

Room Tip: #127 with whirlpool was very nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tripster5486
Tonya C, Director of Sales at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell others in the travel community about your stay here at The Van Buren Hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I apologize for the condition of the greenery in your room. I will be sure and take a look into it and see if there is anything we can do to make it more appealing. Thank you again, and we hope to see you back here the next time you are back in the Shipshewana area.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Second stay and again they were great. This time stayed in whirlpool room and every thing worked fine. The breakfast was good and the employees friendly. This is the place to stay in Shipshewana. We will go back there again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Craig C
Tonya C, Director of Sales at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time once again to tell others about your stay at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana. We truly appreciate the wonderful comments, and are so glad to hear that everything met or exceeded your expectations. Thank you again, and we hope to see you when your travels bring you back to the Shipshewana area.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband, myself and our 15 month old son, stayed here for one night while visiting Shipshewana. Hotel is less then 2 minute drive to shops. This is a beautifully, clean and tasteful hotel. Pool is heated and great after a day at the shipshewana shops. The room was clean and large. Always fresh cookies available at reception desk. And the breakfast is self serve, but includes everything from coffee, orange juice and cereal to eggs, sausage, waffles, fruit and pastries. Very delicious.

Would recommend going on a Tuesday or Wednesday, as these are the days the large flea market is open. We missed it, but heard its great to see.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephanie H
Tonya C, Director of Sales at The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience with us. I am so glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time here so much! We really do take a lot of pride in our little corner of the world, and it is nice to hear that our guests appreciate the work we do. Thank you again, and we hope to see you and your family back soon. (Hopefully next time you can make it on a Tuesday or Wednesday, so you can enjoy the Flea Market as well!)

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We spent the night at the Van Buren last week and enjoyed our stay. The handicapped room was really nice. The bathroom and shower were great, and such a nice size.

The breakfast served was one the the best I have ever had. It was truly abound with all breakfast goods, and everything was kept spotless. Normally I have found that most hotel/motel breakfast are minimal, but this one was special.

The hotel is out of town, and I imagine they will be building up the area. It could use a little restaurant for a meal during the afternoon hours, or to grab a bite in the evening.

Room Tip: I can only say that the Handicapped rooms are generous. They are all on the first floor, which I re...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angie G

Wow, thank you so much for the wonderful comments on your stay with us. It truly is great to hear that a guest of ours enjoyed their time with us this much. I am glad to hear that you especially enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. We offer many items, and are glad to hear that you appreciate the variety. (I have, myself, been know to sneak in the breakfast room for some biscuits and gravy when no one else is looking.) Thank you again, and we hope to see you back here soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

The Van Buren Hotel was very clean. Large rooms, large bathroom and the staff was very helpful and friendly. You can hear the clip clop of the horses as they draw the Amish carriages up and down the road. Nice breakfast in the morning and we will be returning to stay again. Great room rates.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer M

Thank you so much for the kind review concerning your experience at The Van Buren Hotel. We really do take a lot of pride in the cleanliness of our property and our friendly, helpful staff. We love to hear feedback on a job well done. Thank you again, and we hope to see you back here the next time your travels bring you to the Shipshewana area.

Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Our room smelled musty so we opened the windows to try to get rid of the odor. The pool was nice and on Sunday evening we had the place to ourselves. The staff was very courteous. The free breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank 824traveler1

Thank you for the kind comments about your stay at The Van Buren Hotel. I would like to also take this time apologize for the musty odor in the room during your stay. I am fairly certain I know which room you stayed in, and you will be glad to know that we have fixed the problem, and now that room smells just as fresh and clean as all the others. Thank you again, and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

This is a beautiful spot to stay, just barely outside of Shipshewana. Very quiet spot. The room was beautiful and spotless. Gorgeous wood furniture, custom made to house the refrigerator and microwave were nice touches. HUGE bathroom counter in a 2 queen room, so that everyone could leave their toiletries there. Clothesline in the bathroom which was nice for hanging suits after swimming. Pool is a nice size, was relatively warm, and there was plenty of space on the deck around it. Breakfast was one of the most extensive we have seen included with a room. Biscuits, gravy, eggs, sausage, oatmeal, cereal, pastries, bread, bagels, greek yogurt, juices, etc.

Three things would have made out stay a bit better. When we arrived my husband stood at the front desk for ten minutes and then began wandering the property looking for staff, while leaving our teenage daughter at the front desk in case the staff returned. When he could find no one, I finally tried calling the property, and they answered, and came right to the front desk. The sign at the desk said they were helping a guest, and when I called they said that the were locking up and had taken a call while locking up. I had communicated accurately when we planned to arrive, and if someone isn't going to be there, it would be much nicer if they could leave a bell/phone or something for guests to call a staff person to the front desk. In my humble opinion, 10 minutes is much too long to be left standing and waiting with no clue when someone will return. If this had been the only time, I might have just let it go. But I came looking for front desk staff when our key didn't work, and I waited 5 minutes until staff returned to the desk. Staff was extremely pleasant, but if they have just one person working, they really need to leave us a way to reach that person when we are waiting at the front desk.

My second mention would be the beds. Not sure if they are all like this, but my husband weighs all of about 155 lbs, and when he was on one side of the bed, it took muscles while sleeping not to roll into him. So the bed must be old or not properly supported or something. The bed felt comfortable when we went to bed, but both of our bodies hurt in the morning. And in general, we aren't particularly sensitive to beds.

My third item would be the coffee. Great breakfast, lousy coffee.

One other thing to note, on a Sunday evening the only food available in town is Subway, and a so-so pizza spot. So if you are staying there on Sunday, you might want to eat before you get into town.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank winniewms

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for taking the time to tell others about the many things we offer. We truly appreciate it. I would also like to apologize about the extensive wait time before check-in and the issue with the bed. I hope that experience doesn't deter you and your family from visiting us again in the future. Thank you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipshewana
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
#1 of 6 in Goshen
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 6 in Goshen

Been to The Van Buren Hotel at Shipshewana? Share your experiences!