“Great stay”

Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Shipshewana
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

A very nice hotel, all staff very friendly and helpful, excellent full breakfast, omelets made to order, etc. rooms very nice and clean. Only reason didn't rate excellent as in our room you could hear conversations very clearly next room over. I even looked in hallway thinking it was out there but not. Overall will stay again as a very nice facility.

Stayed: July 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,932)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed at the Blue Gate June 24th and 25th in a 2-queen room. Small but clean and comfortable; it had all we need. A really nice breakfast is included and there is a lot of variety. There is an ice cream shop 5-10pm with quality ice cream and a bistro feel. Coffee and hot tea are available in the lobby anytime (also a small coffeemaker in the room). Staff is friendly and courteous. Our only complaint: Since the town mostly closes about 9pm, we would have liked to have a comfortable lounge/gameroom for cards or Scrabble. We used the ice cream shop but the metal chairs were a bit uncomfortable to use for any length of time. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: There are some rooms called "patio rooms" that look very nice. If we stay there again I wo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This hotel has a very warm, cozy and comfy feel to it, very, very clean. Everything looks new in this newly remodeled hotel. The free breakfast is awesome and service was great. Would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: This was our first time at this particular hotel in Shipshewana, the room we had on the 3rd floor wa...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda U
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I love Shipshewana..... This year I visit the car museum close to the hotel and I enjoyed a lot with my family. Breakfast are always great !!!!!!! I am from Madrid Spain. You have a good gym and laundry. We love the place.

Room Tip: All are great for me
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were touring Michigan and were hoping to stop in Shipshewana on the drive home. We didn't book until the day of because we weren't sure how far we'd make it each day. We were traveling with my 84 & 85 yr old parents. I checked Tripadvisor and then called the hotel. I asked about rooms for 4 adults, with one adult having mobility issues. They suggested the 2Q with patio since it would be on the 1st floor. However, their rate was higher than other sites (Orbitz, Expedia, etc.) and they said they couldn't match those rates so I'd need to book from the 3rd party to get that rate. That's what I did and included a request for an ADA room. When we got to the hotel, I mentioned my dad's mobility issue and asked for a room that was near a door so there would be limited walking. I was told that they could not make modifications to my room since I booked via a 3rd party site. I said I wasn't trying to make a modification - I just wanted a room close to the doors. Still, no help. We were given a room that was in the middle of a hallway rather than one end or the other. My dad dealt with it but it made for more walking than he's comfortable with.
We had stayed at 3 other hotels earlier in the week and all 3 hotels worked with us given my dad's mobility issues. Blue Gate didn't try to accommodate my request. I believe the hotel was busy but I know the hotel was not full - at least when we checked in. I've booked on 3rd party sites numerous times and have even booked via Priceline's 'name your own price' option. Each time, the hotel hasn't treated us any differently than someone that had booked directly through the hotel. The fact that Blue Gate did was disappointing - especially since this was just a request for room location due to mobility issues.

Pros to the hotel - nice facilities, extensive breakfast with made to order omelets, convenient to shopping (but not really walkable since there are no sidewalks)
Cons - beds really high, small TV for the room, no refrig or microwave, not accommodating

Room Tip: Don't bother with the room with the porch. It overlooks the parking lot and there is no privacy...
Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Kim B
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Had a good stay at this hotel. It was clean; the rooms were quiet; the staff was helpful. Their breakfast was excellent with plenty of choices, including made-to-order omelets and gluten free waffle batter with a dedicated waffle iron. There was also a good-sized seating area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We came back the next night after the booking mess. I want to state how friendly, nice and courteous the staff was. The breakfast was amazing, and plenty of selections. Room was immaculate . We were two couples staying together, so ask for a room with some privacy, grata way to go.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shipshewana
Farmstead Inn - Shipshewana
#1 of 6 in Goshen
Super 8 Shipshewana
Super 8 Shipshewana
#4 of 5 in Shipshewana

Been to Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel? Share your experiences!