“WOW” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of LaSalle Grill

LaSalle Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
LaSalle Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 292 Restaurants in South Bend
Price range: US$16 - US$36
Cuisines: American, Grill, Healthy
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Main
Description: LaSalle Grill is located in Downtown South Bend's oldest commercial building. Built in 1868 as the St. Joseph Hotel, the building has survived over 146 years. Converted to restaurant use in 1991, LaSalle Grill has become an institution in South Bend and the region. We have won the coveted AAA Four Diamond rating for 19 consecutive years, the longest run of any restaurant in Indiana. Our menu is rooted in USDA Prime and Choice steaks cooked over a live hardwood fire, Lamb and Pork chops, locally raised Chicken and Duck, Fresh seafood delivered daily, Vegetarian and Vegan options and seasonal game dishes. We have won the Wine Spectators Award of Excellence for over 17 years and employ the only Certified Sommelier working in a restaurant in the state.
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I was in town for business and my associates and I came here for lunch. I'm from Chicago and eat at all kinds of nice steakhouses and this was definitely one of my favorite! next time I visit SB this is on my list to visit!

• Visited March 2014

Coloma, Michigan, United States
“Wish we would have known sooner.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We live in Michigan and it is a bit of a drive to the LaSalle and I had been wanting to go for quite some time and when my wife's birthday was on a Monday and the Carriage House was not open, I made reservations at LaSalle. My wife was not too happy because she wanted to go to the Carriage House. I was glad the Carriage House was not open, we enjoyed it in years past but the last time I visited their web-site the prices had almost doubled, and now I see they don't even list prices on their web-site.
Back to LaSalle, beautiful building and atmosphere, great staff, took our coats for us upon walking in on a cold night.
Bar drinks were excellently made and the waiter very knowledgeable about wine list and menu items/ingredients.
Appetizer for me was baked brie, wonderful, great portion and my wife had a wonderful crab cake. For main, New York strip au-poivre for me and blue cheese topped beef medallions for my wife both tasty and wonderfully presented. I might also add that while making on-line reservations (and signing up for newsletter) the staff had noticed it was my wife's birthday and actually had a personalized menu made up for her upon arrival, great attention to detail. My wife had a beautiful creme brulee for dessert.
Wonderful service, hated to leave. We took home leftovers and as my wife said, "the best tasting leftovers we have ever had." I was also pleased that when I went to get our coats, the manager asked if I was looking for my coat and told me he would take care of it, he turned around and selected our coats from a filled rack. He was not one that helped us off with our coats upon arrival, and this shows a level of service where he saw us come in and had a mental note of who belonged to what coat, in a very busy restaurant. In fact it was a very cold Monday night and we thought there would not be many people there but the placed filled up shortly after our arrival.
LaSalle is our new fine dining restaurant in the whole area. We also want to try the LaSalle Kitchen and Tavern for lunch as well, a more casual atmosphere but with what looks like same quality menu fare.
Great atmosphere, service, and value. Loved every minute of it.

• Visited December 2013
Mark M, Owner at LaSalle Grill, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Wow, thank you for the very complimentary review of my restaurant today. It is truly gratifying to know that we exceeded your expectations in all the areas of how a restaurant should function. We are overjoyed to know that you and you wife enjoyed our hospitality, our food and our ambience.

Thank you for making the drive from Coloma. For your next visit we can arrange a stay at one of the delightful B&B's adjacent to downtown or the newly remodeled DoubleTree Hotel located just one half block from LaSalle Grill.

Thanks again for your business,

Founder and Prorietor
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great grill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Very best of grill options- New Zealand lamb (cooked perfectly) and US prime ribeye (also cooked perfectly) Together with great wine list and attentive well informed staff. A great evening.

• Visited March 2014
South Bend, Indiana
“Good quality over time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We've been enjoying LaSalle since the beginning, many years ago, and it continues to provide fine dining in a comfortable atmosphere with efficient, knowledgeable and friendly service. It's not a Chicago or New York restaurant but that's not a criticism. They have kept up with food trends without getting overly precious or expensive. And the restaurant now offers some less formal venues. Good choice.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Gail D
Mark M, Owner at LaSalle Grill, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for the kind words in your review of my restaurant. Its always good to hear when our hard work pays off and our guest'e expectations are met and exceeded.

I hope that you will join us again for dinner in the near future.

Best regards,

Founder and Proprietor
New Jersey
“Good choice in South Bend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is definitely one of the quality restaurants in South Bend. It's a good meal. It does not reach the level of "great" compared to NYC, Chicago or LA restaurants, but it's worth a visit for a nice meal in town. Service was warm and pleasant. All meat was cooked to requested temperature which is greatly appreciated. The red meat dishes were good, not great. The lobster appetizer was outstanding.
We finally visited this restaurant when we traveled recently with dressy clothes, since it has been "jacket required" for quite some time. When we arrived, we discovered it is no longer jacket required and many quests were wearing smart casual clothing. That's terrific since it makes it much more likely that I will return when visiting South Bend.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank susana820
Mark M, Owner at LaSalle Grill, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for your great review last month. Sorry to be so late in responding. My staff and I thank you for taking the time to tell the world about LaSalle Grill. We truly appreciate it.

I hope that you can join us again sometime in the future.

Best regards,