“Simply the Best”
Review of LaSalle Grill

LaSalle Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
LaSalle Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 297 Restaurants in South Bend
Price range: US$16 - US$36
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Healthy, Grill
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Main
Description: LaSalle Grill is located in Downtown South Bend's oldest commercial building. Built in 1868 as the St. Joseph Hotel, the building has survived over 146 years. Converted to restaurant use in 1991, LaSalle Grill has become an institution in South Bend and the region. We have won the coveted AAA Four Diamond rating for 19 consecutive years, the longest run of any restaurant in Indiana. Our menu is rooted in USDA Prime and Choice steaks cooked over a live hardwood fire, Lamb and Pork chops, locally raised Chicken and Duck, Fresh seafood delivered daily, Vegetarian and Vegan options and seasonal game dishes. We have won the Wine Spectators Award of Excellence for over 17 years and employ the only Certified Sommelier working in a restaurant in the state.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We dine in South Bend several times per year. A visit to this city would not be complete without enjoying a magnificent dinner at the best restaurant in town. The fact that it has been around so long is testament that they are doing everything right and then some.
What do I enjoy? The cocktail list has some classics, long ago ignored by more "modern" places but also has the "trendy" ones as well. The wine list is extensive and a knowledgeable sommelier is more than able and willing to help you choose. The food, as always, is meticulously prepared and equally well presented. The desserts are charming and not oversized; sharing is encouraged if you just want or need a taste. The after dinner drink menu boasts the usual fare but also includes fine brandies, ports, and sauternes. The servers are seasoned professionals; they don't learn their trade here.
What don't I like? Really nothing! My only gripe, and this is a tough one for any fine dining establishment to deal with, has to do with customers who fail to recognize the classiness of the place and fail to dress appropriately. Hey folks, it's OK to dress up a bit, even in South Bend, IN! You might actually enjoy the experience more if you add a little "class" to your appearance. Should fine dining restaurants enforce a dress code? Absolutely! Will this restaurant enforce one? Absolutely not! That's understandable but too bad. But I digress....
For the best dining adventure in South Bend, you will positively LOVE the LaSalle Grill.

There are newer reviews for LaSalle Grill

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Definitely a highlight in South Bend. Although the menu is limited and focuses on meat or fish, the entrees are perfection! The wine selection is excellent. I particularly recommend the salmon....one of the best I have ever had anywhere. Our table was also enthusiastic about the pork chops and duck. The only disappointment was a vegetarian selection which was a special that evening. The cheesecake is remarkable.....not your ordinary cheesecake. Definitely a special occasion evening.

Mark M, Owner at LaSalle Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for your recent review of my restaurant. I am happy to hear the great comments on the Faroe Island Salmon, the Kurobuta Pork Chops and the excellent Maple Leaf Farms duck which is sourced from nearby Milford Indiana. I took note of the disappointment in the vegetarian entree and we are working on providing better options in the areas of Vegetarian and Vegan cuisine. I appreciate your frank feedback. It really helps.

I hope that you can find a way to visit us again in the future and truly appreciate your recent patronage.

Best regards,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Had guest from out of town wanted to impress them with the best location in the area.The service is white table cloth ,great presentation,fresh, local fare,can match any place in Boston, New York.Staff have been there for many years and it shows.Steaks, chops, Fish all are excellent!! bring your wallet but its worth every penny for a special night out!!

2  Thank Jim M
Mark M, Owner at LaSalle Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for your great review of my restaurant. We are indeed very proud to have been able to keep our AAA Motor Club 4 Diamond reating for 18 consecutive years. It is quite a challenge but it is one of the things that keep us striving to improve in all of the aspects of fine dining.

We truly appreciate you patronage and look forward to seeing you again soon at LaSalle Grill.

Best regards,

Reviewed 27 June 2014

In town with my husband to pick up our son from camp @ Notre Dame and thought we'd try this place. We both travel often to major cities across the US and Europe. This very poor experience started with the pompous, middle-aged man who greeted us when we arrived and continued on through the food experience which was subpar at best and entirely overpriced for the quality and taste as compared to a true fine restaurant. Definitely cannot recommend anyone come here; however, based on reviews it appears the 3rd floor pub might be an option for those wanting to give this a try.

1  Thank IndyPriceFam
Mark M, Owner at LaSalle Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for the recent feedback on your visit this past Thursday evening. I am sorry to have let you down from the moment you entered my restaurant. The rudeness and the subpar food are certainly not acceptable. I apologize sincerely for letting you down. I have spoken to my manager on duty and the the chef to make the necessary corrections in order to insure that no one experiences this type of letdown again.

Is there anything that I can do to make things right? I note that your handle indicates that you live in Indianapolis. I would be honored if you and your spouse could find your way back to South Bend to enjoy a dinner on me to prove to you that your experience was indeed an isolated one.

Please contact me at either mark@lasallegrill.com or my cell phone at 574-532-2800. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Lasalle Kitchen and Tavern, upstairs from the Grill, is a totally different dining experience than the more formal Grill. My wife and I love the Grill, service, atmosphere, food, and a great place to go for an everyday or special occasion. After experiencing the Grill we wanted to try the Kitchen and Tavern to see if the attention to detail and great food extended upstairs at their more casual venue.
I checked out their website and saw they had some interesting specials throughout the week, one where you could get a "code" from their Facebook page and when giving the code to your wait staff made you eligible for a bottle of wine and a cheese/charcuterie tray for only $20.00!! Upon arrival, we saw GM Andrew who always greets everyone he sees. We took the elevator up stairs to the Kitchen. Nice large area with Edison light bulbs and nice view overlooking the street. Many micro-brews on tap and they also make a myriad of specialty drinks as well. Back to the special, still being a bit skeptical as to this great $20 deal, I informed the waiter of the code and he explained that we could get a bottle of wine and a cheese or charcuterie tray for $20. I asked if it was a certain wine or is the cheese/charcuterie a half size of the normal order and he advised no skimping here. Full size cheese boards with ANY wine from the Kitchen and Tavern menu. Wow, what a deal. Want to be the most popular person at your work, start "living the code" and take your co-workers to the Kitchen after work, I know I would if I worked in South Bend.
The menu offered many more wonderful offerings not seen in many other places. The cheese board was great and we also ordered a poutine with wild boar gravy and cheese curds, and a flat bread. The poutine, a "small plate", was anything but small and I had to force myself to stop eating it because I wanted to try other things on the menu. The flatbread came to the table smelling of wonderful smoked meat and the flavor terrific. I cannot remember exactly the meat, a Spanish ham I believe, was fantastic. The flatbread was covered with great ingredients, not like some places where you get flatbread with a few toppings thrown on. My wife, who loves French onlon soup had to try theirs and it was almost the best she has ever had and came in a large cauldron. A few drinks from the bar capped off a great afternoon at the Kitchen. The music playing was a bit "young" for me but it is a place where young and old can grab a drink and some great and unique fare.
Upon leaving we ran into GM Andrew again and had an actually long talk about the great level of service at the Grill and the Kitchen, it shows management cares about the business, customers, and their staff. Good work.

4  Thank Mark M