“Adequate, but kind of a dump”

Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
Moorpark, California
“Adequate, but kind of a dump”
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Stay here if you must be close to the airport, and/or the price is right. Otherwise, stay downtown - it's only a few minutes away and will be much nicer. The neighborhood isn't the most pleasant and there isn't much in terms of dining options.

We were here for a Notre Dame football weekend, when hotel prices triple, so it was strictly a price issue. Given that, the place was adequate. "Suite" is a bit generous, since our king bed room was just one big room, but it did have a full kitchen. The decor is brown blah and the bedspread looked like a rescue from Goodwill.

I'm not sure what to say about housekeeping. One day we obviously had no housekeeping visit at all. The other day we had about half the service you'd expect - the bed was made and towels folded, but the kitchen was not touched and amenities not replenished. Bathroom amenities include soap and shampoo, no conditioner or lotion.

On the plus side, the fitness center is good and the staff friendly and helpful. There is a convenience store with food and toiletry items. There's also a 7-11 in easy walking distance.

I'd put up with the place again under the same circumstances, but I'd go elsewhere first.

Room Tip: Rooms with two queen beds have more space than those with one king.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Expedia overbooked hotel and I was placed in their hold room which had an order and tv did not work

Would not stay here again

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Jmina

Travellers are raving about these South Bend hotels

Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Very large and clean suites. The staff was very attentive and took care of my needs. With a full kitchen and large room space it really helps one feel at home. I'll be using this Candlewood and others from now on.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I stayed at the hotel on an overnight business trip as I had recently stayed for the first time at a Candlewood Suites in Irvine, CA due to my other preferred hotels being sold out . I enjoyed that stay enough that I thought I would give this Candlewood Suites a try,

My hot buttons are simple. Is the hotel clean? Is the hotel staff friendly and seem to care about their guests? Does the hotel have a decent sized exercize room? I like to work out on the road since I spend 100+ nights in hotels. The answers at this hotel were yes, yes, and yes.

Based on some of the other reviews that I read, I inquired if the hotel was under new management. The front desk clerk indicated the General Manager, Bruce, was fairly new to the hotel. I assume that he is correcting some of the previous service issues.

While I usually travel alone, the size of the rooms would make this a good place to stay when traveling with my wife and daughter.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 1Gman1
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 May 2011

My partner and I stayed at this location for a ND football game. We left Saturday morning for the game, and returned later in the evening to find that an ipod (that had be 'hidden' in a non-obvious location) had been stolen. I called the hotel to try to work through a solution. They suggested I file a police report and send to them, which I did. I then called them every week for a 9 months to follow up in an effort to recover the money lost for the ipod, and was consistently ignored. Phone calls were never returned, and nothing was done about it. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank enolan82
Michigan
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Stayed at the hotel for Dyngus Day this way we were close to the halls. The room was very large, nice kitchen which has a full size fridge, microwave, sink, dishwasher, all the pots, pans, glasses, salt, peper, coffee mugs. Eveything you need. I wish we had a room like this while we were in Chicago a few days earlier. Our room was a King Suite, so we had a seperate living area(with a nice recliner) the bathroom was large and the bed was very comfortable. This hotel was one of the cleanest hotels I have been in. Kudos to the hotel staff!!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed 4 November 2010

We are looking for a place here in South Bend, Newly relocated due to my husbands job we stayed here with our 2, 3 and 16 year old..its been really nice. We got a 1 bed Suite and it has full kitchen and the room was very nice 2 tvs kids had one room we slept on sofa sleeper in living room flat screens and all--Our laundry was free and the place is really new so its clean ...it wasnt that full when we were there but its been great we have been here for a week leaving tommorow...wanted people to know---Im picky picky and this was a good pick for us--I would rate it like a 3-4 star becuase of the full kitchens granite marble tile and the gym laundry ect everything is high end not cheap motel hotel crap...goodluck!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family