“Great Place”

Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed there to attend a family funeral and the guest service was great. Rooms were nice and had a home sweet home feeling.
Free coffee, free laundry, and great guest services.
Just a great place in all.
The staff worked with our family and gave us a great reasonable rate we could all afford.
I would definately reccomend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Maybe it was bad luck on my part, 3 rooms, 3 issues.
First room smelled of mold. Moved me next door, same smell.
Moved me down stairs, heat did not work well.. never got above 67 degrees.
That being said. I will find another hotel to stay in while in Southbend

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Rob-stroup
Reviewed 18 November 2011

This hotel must have a lot of smoking rooms. The third floor hallway was so smokey, I felt as though I was choking. Our room said "nonsmoking" on the room number outside the door, but there was an ash tray in the room and the room smelled as though a smokers' convention had just been held in it. They brought in an "ionizer" to clean the air which required us to leave for an hour (at 10:00 p.m. with two young children). It didn't help the smell. I woke up with laryngitis. We asked to be moved in the morning and they gave us keys at 8:00 a.m. for a room on the first floor. (Why couldn't they have given us this room the night before -- it was obviously available??)

The back of the throw pillow on the bed had a big smear of dried mucus. They should not use decorative pillows in hotel rooms, since they don't change them out between guests.

Breakfast is not included, which makes them compare unfavorably with similar properties.

But the biggest change that this hotel needs is to go all non-smoking.

The neighborhood is a little sketchy. There always seemed to be people crossing Lincolnway late at night -- not in crosswalks. Very close to the airport, but it's much better to stay closer to the university.

Room Tip: If you are unlucky enough to win a room here via Priceline, call ahead to the hotel directly and tel...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Ken H, Manager at Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

I'm sorry to hear about your experience during your stay with us. Our 3rd floor is our designated smoking floor however there are non smoking rooms on that floor as well. I agree with you completely, we should consider going 100% non smoking. As a non smoker, I completely understand where your coming from! I would like to offer you my sincerest apology and I thank you for taking your time to write a review.

Ken Herman
Candlewood Suites - South Bend Airport

Reviewed 31 October 2011

My boyfriend and I flew to south bend for the first time to see a ND game. I had requested a nonsmoking room because my boyfriend has bad asthma. We got there and the room was nice, but it smelled like someone just got done smoking in there! We asked to be moved to another room that didn't smell like smoke. They moved us but we no longer had the king size bed we requested and the room still smelled like smoke. And on top of that there was dog hair EVERY WHERE on the top comforter. I also was woken up by a very loud train going by ea night we stayed. I realized there isn't too many hotel choices in south bend but those are things I shouldn't have to even worry about.
Also they do not have a shuttle that can take you to the airport. Any hotel I've stayed at near an airport has hotel shuttles that can take you to the airport and just because it's game weekend the taxis all over charge you. You have to pay $15 per a person to ride to any place you want,
Just to get to the hotel from the airport, theb picked up again to go to ND campus we were charged sixty dollars!! (the hotel is like a mile away from the airport!)
I was better off renting a car for the amount we spent on taxis

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Stay here if you must be close to the airport, and/or the price is right. Otherwise, stay downtown - it's only a few minutes away and will be much nicer. The neighborhood isn't the most pleasant and there isn't much in terms of dining options.

We were here for a Notre Dame football weekend, when hotel prices triple, so it was strictly a price issue. Given that, the place was adequate. "Suite" is a bit generous, since our king bed room was just one big room, but it did have a full kitchen. The decor is brown blah and the bedspread looked like a rescue from Goodwill.

I'm not sure what to say about housekeeping. One day we obviously had no housekeeping visit at all. The other day we had about half the service you'd expect - the bed was made and towels folded, but the kitchen was not touched and amenities not replenished. Bathroom amenities include soap and shampoo, no conditioner or lotion.

On the plus side, the fitness center is good and the staff friendly and helpful. There is a convenience store with food and toiletry items. There's also a 7-11 in easy walking distance.

I'd put up with the place again under the same circumstances, but I'd go elsewhere first.

Room Tip: Rooms with two queen beds have more space than those with one king.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Expedia overbooked hotel and I was placed in their hold room which had an order and tv did not work

Would not stay here again

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Jmina
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Very large and clean suites. The staff was very attentive and took care of my needs. With a full kitchen and large room space it really helps one feel at home. I'll be using this Candlewood and others from now on.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business